Player Registration Rules | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Player Registration Rules

Mar 11, 2008
Bsingstoke
Hopefully, someone can clear something up for me.

I notice that Peter Ried mentioned in a BBC interview (linked to on the main page) that he would be interested in signing players from the Thailand national team if he he didnt have to come up against the "inevitable work permit problems"

Then, I read that Southend have just recieved clearence for a couple of players http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 923971.stm (THat link will no doubt be rubbish but the story is on the BBC League 2 website!!!

My question is (apart from how do you do links) is how are the rules applied. I thought originginally you had to be a full international for a team if you were outside the EU regions? A morrocan (non international I assume) can sign for one club but we would face issues signing full internationals from Japan or Thailand.

Anyone?

Jan 31, 2005
Tavistock
A lot of Moroccans may have dual French nationality. Same could also apply to Algerians, so that could come into play.

The rankings of the country the playing is coming from is factored into whether a player can sign, along with the percentage of games the player has played.

So in the two years prior to signing a player must have played in 75% of his nations games. Further to this the nation must have ranked in the top 70 nations for the entire of this period.

Sometimes players with exceptional talent are allowed in despite not meeting these criteria.