Japanese players | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Japanese players

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Leicester City poised to sign Japan midfielder Yuki Abe

Seems to me that our Japanese links aren't actually producing much in the way of new players, yet decent World Cup pedigree players like Yuki Abe are signing on the dotted line for other clubs. I really liked the look of Abe during the World Cup, along with Keisuke Honda and Yasuhito Endo.

I wonder if it was something off a false dawn, signing up a Japanese president in Okudera with the promise of incoming Asian players?

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Honda? Endo?

The point was that we were led to believe we'd be inundated with Japanese talent after landing such a renowned president. My question is where are they all? Not a single reliable mention of any players coming over, following a World Cup where Japan did remarkably well.

On a side note: Why has this been moved to "The Football Forum" when it's directly related to Argyle? :?

Jan 31, 2005
Tavistock
We were never going to get Endo or Honda. It was all wishful thinking by some people.

Why would Honda join us when he can get paid a fortune and play European football at CSKA Moscow (The club he actually joined)?

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Honda and Endo were both just examples of players with pedigree, and I'm well aware that Honda signed for Spartak before the World Cup; what I meant was surely there are players in the Japan squad that would fit into the team? Why aren't we looking at them? Or even just players in the J-League that could play in League One quite comfortably (work permits permitting). Wasn't the idea of getting Okudera as president precisely that - to attract Japanese players to Home Park? Why hasn't it happened?

Nov 23, 2009
Madras
vibratingspider":2jagx03m said:
Surely there are players in the Japan squad that would fit into the team?

Name a current Japanese international that would be prepared to accept League One wages.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
ElDuderino":1cbdhjuy said:
vibratingspider":1cbdhjuy said:

Name a current Japanese international that would be prepared to accept League One wages.

To be honest I'm struggling with the first five words of this post.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
ElDuderino":29z711ex said:
vibratingspider":29z711ex said:

Oooh I like a challenge ;) ...

Take your pick, there's only 9 of them playing in Europe, and even then, they're not on megabucks. I shouldn't think that the European giants Lierse SK, Cesena, or "Calcio Catania" (whoever they are) pay more than we do.

One of their star players in the World Cup was Yuki Abe and he's gone to.... no, not AC Milan or Real Madrid.. he's gone to Leicester City.

I think you're overestimating their national team somewhat:

Japanese Squad

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
The Doctor":2rudhkvz said:
ElDuderino":2rudhkvz said:
vibratingspider":2rudhkvz said:

That's kind of my point - they're not household names, and yet they did superbly well in the World Cup. There's a rich untapped source of highly skillful players, and we have a football-renowned Japanese president who could probably convince most Japanese players that we're a decent club, and they all dream of playing in Europe.

So, back to my original question again, why hasn't it happened?

Nov 23, 2009
Madras
vibratingspider":3smbd4d5 said:
The Doctor":3smbd4d5 said:
ElDuderino":3smbd4d5 said:
vibratingspider":3smbd4d5 said:

That's kind of my point - they're not household names, and yet they did superbly well in the World Cup. There's a rich untapped source of highly skillful players, and we have a football-renowned Japanese president who could probably convince most Japanese players that we're a decent club, and they all dream of playing in Europe.

So, back to my original question again, why hasn't it happened?

Jan 31, 2005
Tavistock
vibratingspider":3a4rfjut said:
ElDuderino":3a4rfjut said:
vibratingspider":3a4rfjut said:

Take your pick, there's only 9 of them playing in Europe, and even then, they're not on megabucks. I shouldn't think that the European giants Lierse SK, Cesena, or "Calcio Catania" (whoever they are) pay more than we do.

One of their star players in the World Cup was Yuki Abe and he's gone to.... no, not AC Milan or Real Madrid.. he's gone to Leicester City.

Japanese Squad

Catania play in Serie A, often considered to be one of the better leagues in the world. Therefore I would suggest that maybe despite the fact you haven't heard of them they are still a bigger draw than League 1.

Cesena although only recently promoted are also in Serie A and count Stephen Appiah among their squad. Again maybe a bigger pull than we are.

Nov 23, 2009
Madras
Tavypilgrim":aluxfu1t said:
vibratingspider":aluxfu1t said:
ElDuderino":aluxfu1t said:
vibratingspider":aluxfu1t said:

Japanese Squad

Catania play in Serie A, often considered to be one of the better leagues in the world. Therefore I would suggest that maybe despite the fact you haven't heard of them they are still a bigger draw than League 1.

Cesena although only recently promoted are also in Serie A and count Stephen Appiah among their squad. Again maybe a bigger pull than we are.

There's only one player i can see in that list that doesn't play in the top division of the country they reside in.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
ElDuderino":2et1mvtg said:
There's only one player i can see in that list that doesn't play in the top division of the country they reside in.

:roll: Well yes, that's quite obvious really since the vast majority play in the J-League - they're hardly going to be internationals for Japan if they're not playing at the highest level in their own country, are they?

That said, I don't honestly know what the wages are like in the J-League, but surely the pull of a European club and the chance of hooking up with Peter Reid and Okudera (a legend in Japanese football) would be a huge draw?

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Having investigated it a little more, the average wage for a J-League player is 17m Yen, which equates to around ~£2,500/week (17m Yen = £128k). That's not beyond our means, is it?

G

Gareth Nicholson

We're in the third division.

It's alarming that this is seemingly yet to register with many.