Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy   IJN Payments
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another football club in administration?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:03 pm 

Mike Kenna wrote:
Just said on SSN "HMRC fees could rise to £75 million!!!!

Over a number of years so it makes you wonder how they were allowed to build up such a debt whilst you guys for example probably got done for a fraction of it.

Post subject: Re: Glasgow Rangers going into administration
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:25 pm 
Site Admin, Auction Winner and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

It looks like a lot of football teams do the same thing, we had "other operating charges" and mortgaged our season ticket cash in 2008 for last season and this season so I bet the Rangers scenario is very similar, just on a bigger scale.

Post subject: Re: Another football club in administration?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:35 pm 

Some clubs have debts that far outweigh those of Pompey, Glasgow Rangers et al, but, most of the owners/chairman pay the HMRC and VAT when it is due. I personally have thought for some time that a reasonable sized club will topple sooner rather than later and then, sadly, a few more will follow.
pete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 pm 
Player Sponsor #2 18/19

PL2 3DQ wrote:
It looks like a lot of football teams do the same thing, we had "other operating charges" and mortgaged our season ticket cash in 2008 for last season and this season so I bet the Rangers scenario is very similar, just on a bigger scale.

This appears to be exactly what has happened.

Link

Quote:
At the end of last month it emerged that the club had borrowed against future season ticket sales.

The latest estimate is that the tax bill could be £75m. :crazy: :shock:

Quote:
The club said in a statement, however, that if the tribunal decided in favour of HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), it "could result in liabilities and penalties substantially more than the £50m reported which the club would be unable to pay".

He was later reported as saying this could reach up to £75m.

If Rangers do go into administration, then the Scottish League will become even more mundane - Rangers will lose their better players and Celtic will dominate for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:39 pm 

Keepitgreen wrote:
charlee wrote:
A ten point deduction would still leave them 2nd, showing how cack the scottish league is! Essentially they would still be in Champions League next season!

Dundee got -25 points i think Rangers should get that too, but i guess that was SFL Not SPL for the dundee case

I think they'd have to be back out of administration to be in the Champion's League next season.

Only the winners of the SPL make the CL now, and I can't see Rangers winning it after a deduction!

The title was still just about obtainable for them, but now is a decent time to go into admin (if there ever was one). They can get all of this crap out of the way, finish second with little shame, then start next season freshly out of admin.

The two big SPL clubs will be cutting their cloth for a long time to make up for the excesses of the nineties. Back then, players joined Rangers instead of big Premiership clubs because they knew they'd be paid better money. A different universe to now!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:00 pm 
Site Admin, Player Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #2 18/19

Manchester Green wrote:
The two big SPL clubs will be cutting their cloth for a long time to make up for the excesses of the nineties. Back then, players joined Rangers instead of big Premiership clubs because they knew they'd be paid better money. A different universe to now!

Celtic announced this morning that they had cut their debt by £2mill in the last six months, down to £7mill. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-17009960 Also a drop in profit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:25 pm 

maybe celtic could fill pompeys shoes to make the scottish league a bit more competitive?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:33 am 

good luck pangers :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 am 

I would love it if rangers and celtic were let into the prem, well at least the english leagues and they hd to work they way up.

Two huge clubs with great fanbases.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:08 am 

Can't see it ever happening as the smaller Prem clubs are not going to want to give up 2 places to accomodate these two. Whether they started in the Championship or not they would end up in the Prem. They are in a very unlucky situation really, fanbases which should see them competing with the top half dozen clubs in the English league no problem but unfortunately TV money rules the roost and there ain't none to speak of in Scotland anymore. There only hope to compete with the big boys in the future is if there is ever a 2 tier European league from which they can progress to the top tier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:25 pm 

Well, those uncaring and unfeeling types, who are constantly calling for "a big club to go to the wall, to bring the others to their senses" (don't you just bet that politically, they're Tories?!!! :whistle: ) might have finally got their wish.......

In terms of history, tradition, and fanbase, there's not many bigger clubs in the country than Glasgow Rangers FC.....

And in terms of the much proclaimed and oft-predicted "domino effect", there's not many bigger jolts to start it off than if the Huns bit it.

GRFC are a club I've never liked, and I find it impossible to shed any tears for them. But I feel for the fans of any club in this position. No loyal fan deserves to have their life ripped apart by the loss of their beloved club... and Plymouth fans should acknowledge the truth of that before most.

So for the sake of the fans, best wishes to Rangers for their fight for survival. And if there is anyone out there tempted to gloat, remember "there but for the Grace of God" and all that...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:38 pm 

God forbid Celtic and/or Rangers and all the religious bigotry bollox that come with them are EVER let into the English game! :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:12 pm 
GT Sponsor, Player Sponsor #1 18/19, Player Sponsor #2 18/19, PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19 and PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19

I see HMRC are in court now to see if they can put Rangers into administration so that they can appoint their own administrator, something that they failed to do with us hence the reason we had Guilfoyle.

Visit our charity at: http://www.highschoolforkibera.org

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next