Page 4 of 5

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 20:36 31 May 2011
by Viridus_Agmen_100
X Isle wrote:
Gareth Nicholson wrote: If nature abhors a vacuum, it must be ten times worse for football fans. The huge negative of all the secrecy/ineptitude of the last few months has only served to engender suspicion and rumour among the people who will be compelled to shell out week after week next season. That's not healthy.


Compelled?. We all have a choice and how we've been treated since our sterling efforts to keep the club afloat last season has been apaulling. To me what's not healthy would be being treated like this and STILL feeling 'compelled' to shell out next season :shock:.

Keep your money safe, with you, and let them sell you the model we're headed for, let them convince you that it'll work because anywhichway I look at it our future prospects looked stuffed from here on in. I'd love to see how Argyle 2011/2012 is going to be sold to us, what possible angle can they go with?.

RESURGAM was OUR motto he'd better not use that as it'd be an insult to our efforts last season to brand his puppet regime under that title. Set up by a disinterested owner as a mechanism to avoid scrutiny?, the ownership model designed to make money for the owners with no nourishment for football?. Far from the resurgam of rising from the flames this model keeps us held down in the flames under a glass ceiling, prevented from rising anywhere.

We are not compelled to do anything but make our own minds up based on what we feel is right. Wait and see what happens and don't give them a penny until you are satisfied Argyle is being looked after and can thrive :huddle:.


Lol...........quote "until you are satisfied Argyle is being looked after and can thrive".....what a load of carp!!!
Since my first game in the early 60's...we have never had that.
We will always go back....end of.

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 13:05 01 Jun 2011
by Tim Chown
Well exactly; we are fans of the club, for life. The members of the board, whoever they turn out to be, are temporary custodians.

So I will continue to attend, because win, lose or draw it's something that is part of my life. I can't turn that off because of the actions of some bad custodian(s). I would also like to think that by turning up I'm giving the manager more budget to improve the playing staff and thus what I see on the pitch.

As for Heaney, it might fit that he is involved, and the PB secrecy is linked to him needing to part with Truro first. It's as plausible as any other conspiracy theory. We will hopefully know in 13 days...

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 13:25 01 Jun 2011
by Mat
cheshiregreen wrote: Thing that strikes me is that for "mystery" bidders they (or a representative) certainly seems to have spoken to several people (Riddler, Guilfoyle, Plymouth Council, Rose Project Services and Heaney as a minimum)

But, we are expected to believe that still no-one knows who they are. :?
<snip>


I think the PB conducts his meeting's like Charlie from Charlie's Angels and Ridsdale is Bosley.

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 14:49 01 Jun 2011
by X Isle
Viridus_Agmen_100 wrote:
X Isle wrote:
Gareth Nicholson wrote: If nature abhors a vacuum, it must be ten times worse for football fans. The huge negative of all the secrecy/ineptitude of the last few months has only served to engender suspicion and rumour among the people who will be compelled to shell out week after week next season. That's not healthy.


Compelled?. We all have a choice and how we've been treated since our sterling efforts to keep the club afloat last season has been apaulling. To me what's not healthy would be being treated like this and STILL feeling 'compelled' to shell out next season :shock:.

Keep your money safe, with you, and let them sell you the model we're headed for, let them convince you that it'll work because anywhichway I look at it our future prospects looked stuffed from here on in. I'd love to see how Argyle 2011/2012 is going to be sold to us, what possible angle can they go with?.

RESURGAM was OUR motto he'd better not use that as it'd be an insult to our efforts last season to brand his puppet regime under that title. Set up by a disinterested owner as a mechanism to avoid scrutiny?, the ownership model designed to make money for the owners with no nourishment for football?. Far from the resurgam of rising from the flames this model keeps us held down in the flames under a glass ceiling, prevented from rising anywhere.

We are not compelled to do anything but make our own minds up based on what we feel is right. Wait and see what happens and don't give them a penny until you are satisfied Argyle is being looked after and can thrive :huddle:.


Lol...........quote "until you are satisfied Argyle is being looked after and can thrive".....what a load of carp!!!
Since my first game in the early 60's...we have never had that.
We will always go back....end of.


No 'we' don't, absolute total crap :roll:.

Plymouth is chocked full of people who drew a line in the sand and never crossed it again. My grandfather said he and his mob called it a day when the price went up to a certain level - I forget what, my uncle said it was when they sold Mariner and Rafferty and the ambition was sucked out of the place, we all have relatives, friends and workmates like this. Go to any given pub in the City on any given day and an old boy will tell you how Argo are rubbish, these aren't people who were never interested in Argyle, they believed in Argyle once but they were let down, disenfranchised or became disillusioned with Argyle so they walked away and never came back..

If every Argyle fan, if even a basic majority of Argyle fans "ALWAYS came back" them we'd have been in the top league for years with regular gates of 30,000 plus. We're not because people DO give up, people DO walk away - in big numbers, if you can't see them then maybe you need to open your eyes a bit more, or your mind maybe?.

I could never understand that thinking, it's always annoyed me, I see it now though. I can see now why someone would grow tired of making the effort only to see a lack of reciprocal effort from the club to push forwards. Surely you can see how we're at one of those watershed moments again here VA?, surely you can see why this particualr Argyle 'bus stop' might be a point where a lot of people decide to step off?.

The disinterested proposed owners, the personality of the proposed new 'chairman', the abuse of local business by the admin process, the sh1t football, the prospect of even sh1ttier football to come, the prospect of playing football in the back garden of a ground built and run for purposes other than football, for private gain. All reasons in isolation that a typical salt of the earth Janner might give to call it a day, but in combination?.

"Thrive" is the word I used. I use this in the context it is applied in child protection. A child needs basic essentials to be able to 'thrive' - adequate food, adequate water, adequate warmth, adequate clothing, and above all an adequately stable, secure and loving environment. It doesn't have to be perfect but it does need to have these basic physical and emotional nourishments to grow. Apply that to Argyle, our child, and you'll see that the proposed model we're being forced into offers no nourishment at all, if Argyle were a child it'd be taken into social care under this new model.

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 16:33 01 Jun 2011
by Tavypilgrim
X Isle wrote:
No 'we' don't, absolute total crap :roll:.

Plymouth is chocked full of people who drew a line in the sand and never crossed it again. My grandfather said he and his mob called it a day when the price went up to a certain level - I forget what, my uncle said it was when they sold Mariner and Rafferty and the ambition was sucked out of the place, we all have relatives, friends and workmates like this. Go to any given pub in the City on any given day and an old boy will tell you how Argo are rubbish, these aren't people who were never interested in Argyle, they believed in Argyle once but they were let down, disenfranchised or became disillusioned with Argyle so they walked away and never came back..

If every Argyle fan, if even a basic majority of Argyle fans "ALWAYS came back" them we'd have been in the top league for years with regular gates of 30,000 plus. We're not because people DO give up, people DO walk away - in big numbers, if you can't see them then maybe you need to open your eyes a bit more, or your mind maybe?.

I could never understand that thinking, it's always annoyed me, I see it now though. I can see now why someone would grow tired of making the effort only to see a lack of reciprocal effort from the club to push forwards. Surely you can see how we're at one of those watershed moments again here VA?, surely you can see why this particualr Argyle 'bus stop' might be a point where a lot of people decide to step off?.


What an excellent post. :mrgreen:

I know several people that stopped going when they got fed up with Sturrock being with us for another season(2nd spell), like you say they haven't returned to the club, and don't plan to. Going to Argyle is a habit for many, and once the habit is broken it can be quite easy not to return to it.

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 19:04 01 Jun 2011
by graygreen
Plymouth is chocked full of people who drew a line in the sand and never crossed it again. My grandfather said he and his mob called it a day when the price went up to a certain level - I forget what, my uncle said it was when they sold Mariner and Rafferty and the ambition was sucked out of the place, we all have relatives, friends and workmates like this. Go to any given pub in the City on any given day and an old boy will tell you how Argo are rubbish, these aren't people who were never interested in Argyle, they believed in Argyle once but they were let down, disenfranchised or became disillusioned with Argyle so they walked away and never came back..

If every Argyle fan, if even a basic majority of Argyle fans "ALWAYS came back" them we'd have been in the top league for years with regular gates of 30,000 plus. We're not because people DO give up, people DO walk away - in big numbers, if you can't see them then maybe you need to open your eyes a bit more, or your mind maybe?.

I could never understand that thinking, it's always annoyed me, I see it now though. I can see now why someone would grow tired of making the effort only to see a lack of reciprocal effort from the club to push forwards. Surely you can see how we're at one of those watershed moments again here VA?, surely you can see why this particualr Argyle 'bus stop' might be a point where a lot of people decide to step off?.

The disinterested proposed owners, the personality of the proposed new 'chairman', the abuse of local business by the admin process, the sh1t football, the prospect of even sh1ttier football to come, the prospect of playing football in the back garden of a ground built and run for purposes other than football, for private gain. All reasons in isolation that a typical salt of the earth Janner might give to call it a day, but in combination?.

"Thrive" is the word I used. I use this in the context it is applied in child protection. A child needs basic essentials to be able to 'thrive' - adequate food, adequate water, adequate warmth, adequate clothing, and above all an adequately stable, secure and loving environment. It doesn't have to be perfect but it does need to have these basic physical and emotional nourishments to grow. Apply that to Argyle, our child, and you'll see that the proposed model we're being forced into offers no nourishment at all, if Argyle were a child it'd be taken into social care under this new model.


This is probably the first time I have ever replied to a serious post ! What a telling post as well it certainly captures the feelings of many senior greens.I first started watching Argyle in the early sixties as a spotty early teenager after a diet of watching Wolves and Aston Villa,due to the area I was brought up as young lad. No I am not a born janner but 50 odd years here must qualify me for honorary Janner status.Well lLoving football I quickly turned my affections to Argyle I think Andy Beattie was caretaker manager and we just escaped relegation.
Then Wow.......a young unheard of manager came along, a certain Malcolm Allison an uplift in fans and perhaps a promise we were going somewhere.Norman Piper, Barry Jones, Frank Lord Nicky Jennings et al, well it didn't last but it was high however the highs got higher every new manager yes there were some great highs Tony Waiters, Mariner and Rafferty the joyous Ciderman yearsThe Johnny Hore F.A,cup run, the nearly team of Shilton, Sturrocks surge through 2 divisions then the downfall.Yet time and time again we seem to have been let down by boardroom squabbles,lack of investment yes perhaps if not a small provincial outlook certainly theres always been a somewhat parochial feeling about the corridors of power within Home park.
After every high there was always a dramatic collapse,but now I really do feel we have been bitten too many times especially those who can remember the highs and unfulfilled promises.Yes its so easy to remember the glory days,even the days money can not buy,the lows cannot be any lower than we are today.yet one single word may yet inspire us
RESURGAM

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 20:00 01 Jun 2011
by Greenskin
No 'we' don't, absolute total crap :roll:.

Plymouth is chocked full of people who drew a line in the sand and never crossed it again. My grandfather said he and his mob called it a day when the price went up to a certain level - I forget what, my uncle said it was when they sold Mariner and Rafferty and the ambition was sucked out of the place, we all have relatives, friends and workmates like this. Go to any given pub in the City on any given day and an old boy will tell you how Argo are rubbish, these aren't people who were never interested in Argyle, they believed in Argyle once but they were let down, disenfranchised or became disillusioned with Argyle so they walked away and never came back..

If every Argyle fan, if even a basic majority of Argyle fans "ALWAYS came back" them we'd have been in the top league for years with regular gates of 30,000 plus. We're not because people DO give up, people DO walk away - in big numbers, if you can't see them then maybe you need to open your eyes a bit more, or your mind maybe?.

I could never understand that thinking, it's always annoyed me, I see it now though. I can see now why someone would grow tired of making the effort only to see a lack of reciprocal effort from the club to push forwards. Surely you can see how we're at one of those watershed moments again here VA?, surely you can see why this particualr Argyle 'bus stop' might be a point where a lot of people decide to step off?.

The disinterested proposed owners, the personality of the proposed new 'chairman', the abuse of local business by the admin process, the sh1t football, the prospect of even sh1ttier football to come, the prospect of playing football in the back garden of a ground built and run for purposes other than football, for private gain. All reasons in isolation that a typical salt of the earth Janner might give to call it a day, but in combination?.

"Thrive" is the word I used. I use this in the context it is applied in child protection. A child needs basic essentials to be able to 'thrive' - adequate food, adequate water, adequate warmth, adequate clothing, and above all an adequately stable, secure and loving environment. It doesn't have to be perfect but it does need to have these basic physical and emotional nourishments to grow. Apply that to Argyle, our child, and you'll see that the proposed model we're being forced into offers no nourishment at all, if Argyle were a child it'd be taken into social care under this new model.[/quote]


Smiffy-i never thought i'd say this,but.....superb post,mate. :appl:

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 20:52 01 Jun 2011
by Viridus_Agmen_100
No 'we' don't, absolute total crap :roll:.

Plymouth is chocked full of people who drew a line in the sand and never crossed it again. My grandfather said he and his mob called it a day when the price went up to a certain level - I forget what, my uncle said it was when they sold Mariner and Rafferty and the ambition was sucked out of the place, we all have relatives, friends and workmates like this. Go to any given pub in the City on any given day and an old boy will tell you how Argo are rubbish, these aren't people who were never interested in Argyle, they believed in Argyle once but they were let down, disenfranchised or became disillusioned with Argyle so they walked away and never came back..

If every Argyle fan, if even a basic majority of Argyle fans "ALWAYS came back" them we'd have been in the top league for years with regular gates of 30,000 plus. We're not because people DO give up, people DO walk away - in big numbers, if you can't see them then maybe you need to open your eyes a bit more, or your mind maybe?.

I could never understand that thinking, it's always annoyed me, I see it now though. I can see now why someone would grow tired of making the effort only to see a lack of reciprocal effort from the club to push forwards. Surely you can see how we're at one of those watershed moments again here VA?, surely you can see why this particualr Argyle 'bus stop' might be a point where a lot of people decide to step off?.

The disinterested proposed owners, the personality of the proposed new 'chairman', the abuse of local business by the admin process, the sh1t football, the prospect of even sh1ttier football to come, the prospect of playing football in the back garden of a ground built and run for purposes other than football, for private gain. All reasons in isolation that a typical salt of the earth Janner might give to call it a day, but in combination?.

"Thrive" is the word I used. I use this in the context it is applied in child protection. A child needs basic essentials to be able to 'thrive' - adequate food, adequate water, adequate warmth, adequate clothing, and above all an adequately stable, secure and loving environment. It doesn't have to be perfect but it does need to have these basic physical and emotional nourishments to grow. Apply that to Argyle, our child, and you'll see that the proposed model we're being forced into offers no nourishment at all, if Argyle were a child it'd be taken into social care under this new model.[/quote]
Argyle have never had more than 6-7,000 'hardcore fans'......they have thousands who turn up when things are going good...we have a huge amount of fans worldwide because of our Navy connection.
BUT.....it has flip all to do with 'child protection'... :twisted:

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 21:22 01 Jun 2011
by BIG BOSS
Spot on X Isle!!! Nail on head!!!!

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 21:35 01 Jun 2011
by McQ
I am 39 and whilst not my first games, I started regularly attending in the Dave Smith promotion year. Since that time it has never ceased to amaze me the number of disaffected Argyle fans that I have come across (including members of my own family).

The usual comment after 'bleddy crap argo' is 'seen it all before buuuuuy'. I often wondered if this was just a south west thing, as other teams seem to have many thousands of fans of all generations. We seem to lose generations with alarming efficiency. Even the women in my family know that 'Argyle always blow it when there is a big crowd' (or words to that effect).

It seems that we have managed to do it again...another generation of lost fans beckons, more money heads towards the premiership...and the disaffected nod sagely 'seen it all before buuuy'

:( :( :(

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 05:39 02 Jun 2011
by bandwagon
McQ wrote: I am 39 and whilst not my first games, I started regularly attending in the Dave Smith promotion year. Since that time it has never ceased to amaze me the number of disaffected Argyle fans that I have come across (including members of my own family).

The usual comment after 'bleddy crap argo' is 'seen it all before buuuuuy'. I often wondered if this was just a south west thing, as other teams seem to have many thousands of fans of all generations. We seem to lose generations with alarming efficiency. Even the women in my family know that 'Argyle always blow it when there is a big crowd' (or words to that effect).

It seems that we have managed to do it again...another generation of lost fans beckons, more money heads towards the premiership...and the disaffected nod sagely 'seen it all before buuuy'

:( :( :(


At 54, I have been going since 68 - the fanbase has been 'latent' for virtually all that period, bar the 28k that strolled in that 3rd division game on a Tuesday night in 75' and a few more 20k that same season!! Often thought that if someone actually properly backed the club they could nurture the fans in these 'spike' periods, alas I don't think it will happen in my lifetime!!

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 07:15 02 Jun 2011
by Iggy
I think that you could easily link this thread with the "what has happened to Pasoti?" What a load of drivel Smiffy :) Sure as always well written and well argumented, but all this hand wringing and knicker twisting over what exactly? Someone or something that we know next to nothing about, when we have something to protest about I will be there at the head of the queue like I was last time, until then, go and take the "baby" for a walk, bath him or teach him to read :shock: Obviously time to go.

Re: Heaney holds talks with mystery Irish consortium

Posted: 07:25 02 Jun 2011
by GreenAllOver
McQ wrote: I am 39 and whilst not my first games, I started regularly attending in the Dave Smith promotion year. Since that time it has never ceased to amaze me the number of disaffected Argyle fans that I have come across (including members of my own family).

The usual comment after 'bleddy crap argo' is 'seen it all before buuuuuy'. I often wondered if this was just a south west thing, as other teams seem to have many thousands of fans of all generations. We seem to lose generations with alarming efficiency. Even the women in my family know that 'Argyle always blow it when there is a big crowd' (or words to that effect).

It seems that we have managed to do it again...another generation of lost fans beckons, more money heads towards the premiership...and the disaffected nod sagely 'seen it all before buuuy'

:( :( :(


Know exactly what you mean McQ. :wink: