Page 19 of 19

Re: Peter Reid leaves Argyle

Posted: 21:59 18 Sep 2011
by Bristol Rich
Greenbondy wrote: I've not read all 17 pages of this thread yet, however, this whole thing stinks IMO.

No-one could have done any better than Reid during the last 15 months. If it wasn't for the shambles behind the scenes he would have kept us in L1, Administration put paid to that. He has had all (almost all) of his best players sold from under him and been unable to adequately replace them. We have replaced a team of underachievers, with a team of near pre-pubescent's. He was ham strung before he started and has continued to be undermined by the shambles of an admin process. Brenda should hang his head, Ridsdale should hang his head, the previous board should collectively hang their heads. Hopefully Brent will see the good that has been done by Peter Reid and have a word about biding his time and completing the project once he takes over. He deserves the chance to continue this.

I've never been so ashamed to be an argyle fan.

Reid is a Legend.



Could not disagree more. Should have kept us up last season regardless of administration, for a start for the first few weeks he wouldn't even play BWP, had we of not started so badly we would have stayed up even after the ten point deduction. He is a great guy but a manager in 2011 no way, far too many mistakes made, for instance why did he keep dropping Ro? and he did it constantly last year as well. the fact is he had to stay at us because no one else would give him a job. Just you wait to see if anyone offers him a job now. He couldn't get a job previously so he had to go to Thailand......

Don't disguise nice guys with competent managers. He had moderate success at Sunderland in the mid 1990s, a long time ago. Would you want Howard Wilkinson as manager because he won the league in 1992??

Re: Peter Reid leaves Argyle

Posted: 23:40 18 Sep 2011
by djg145
LOL some comments on here are really an insult to the education system.

Argyle are in this state because of the incompetence of the previous board.

Without that incompetence, Argyle would have NOT been relegated last season.

There's more incompetence, the Administrator, it's his incompetence that Argyle are still in administration.

Without this Administrator and his blinkered views as to who should be the 'preferred bidder' things would/should have been sorted, Argyle should by now have been operating as a 'normal' football club.

In my opinion Peter Reid as been dealt a rubbish hand and he as done the best with that hand.

Peter Reid, the Players and Staff can and should hold their heads up high and be proud of themselves.

The same cannot be said about all the other 'players' in this sorry saga.

Re: Peter Reid leaves Argyle

Posted: 03:13 19 Sep 2011
by Keepitgreen
Useless bit of info - Peter Reid was sacked on the same day as an ex Argyle manager celebrated his 62nd birthday; Peter Shilton.

Re: Peter Reid leaves Argyle

Posted: 03:41 19 Sep 2011
by TheDriver
Pottypilgrim wrote: I liken Peter Reid to Rory Fallon - both thoroughly decent blokes by all accounts but ultimately neither of them could do the job that was expected of them. I get it that PR made loads of sacrifices and had to work under some extreme circumstances but from what I could see on the pitch he was very short on tactical know how. For those people that say he hasn't been given a chance to put a decent team together I remind you that when we were fighting for survival last season he had a half decent team. Certainly a team that should have been able to avoid the drop and if people are honest with themselves they'll agree to that. The fact that we went down I believe was largely due to PR's tactical ineptitude. There's no doubting the guy is a decent man who has conducted himself in a thoroughly dignified manner but we shouldn't let ourselves be blinkered by that. I thank him most sincerely for his humanitarian input but feel that the decision is a correct one. Best wishes Mr Reid.


This just about sums it up for me; but my main worry is that either the timing is to make Ridsdale more "indispensible", or it's an example of the amoral "businesslike" attitude we can expect under the likely new regime. :twisted:

Re: Peter Reid leaves Argyle

Posted: 20:41 19 Sep 2011
by stewthenoo
Absolutely makes my blood boil the way that Peter Reid has been treated. "It's results that matter", the silk tongued CEO in administration says. Why, oh why, then did the administrators not take the same line when dealing with the previous PB? Perhaps then Peter Reid may have had the opportunity to spend a little money to get the players in he really wanted and the players here would have been able to play knowing they were earning a regular wage and playing football with total concentration on the game, rather than what was going on around them.

Reid's contribution towards getting Argyle to this point has been monumental. Under normal circumstances his results would certainly merit a change of manager. However the timing of this is somewhat suspect (or fortuitous). Having now heard that we have a new management team of Karl and Ro, I do wonder what their vast managerial experience (not meant with any malice towards them whatsoever) will bring to the fold? I want them to do well (I wanted Reid to do well). Are they to be sacrificed also when results fail to turn around? I hope not and wish them both well, as I do to Peter Reid as he moves on.

Talking of moving on, some would argue that having raped the club of all the talent likely to keep them up, a certain other person should also be moving on?

Re: Peter Reid leaves Argyle

Posted: 20:53 19 Sep 2011
by itsmygo1974
pilgrimSteve wrote:
Pottypilgrim wrote: I liken Peter Reid to Rory Fallon - both thoroughly decent blokes by all accounts but ultimately neither of them could do the job that was expected of them. I get it that PR made loads of sacrifices and had to work under some extreme circumstances but from what I could see on the pitch he was very short on tactical know how. For those people that say he hasn't been given a chance to put a decent team together I remind you that when we were fighting for survival last season he had a half decent team. Certainly a team that should have been able to avoid the drop and if people are honest with themselves they'll agree to that. The fact that we went down I believe was largely due to PR's tactical ineptitude. There's no doubting the guy is a decent man who has conducted himself in a thoroughly dignified manner but we shouldn't let ourselves be blinkered by that. I thank him most sincerely for his humanitarian input but feel that the decision is a correct one. Best wishes Mr Reid.


This just about sums it up for me; but my main worry is that either the timing is to make Ridsdale more "indispensible", or it's an example of the amoral "businesslike" attitude we can expect under the likely new regime. :twisted:



I agree fully with your comments, Brent let it slip that Ridsdale had called him to say Reid was getting sacked, and brent said he could not influence it, and yet again said that in a way he had a veto, personally I think that he was kept upto speed with the whole saga, as it saves him a fortune in future wages, player/coaches are cheaper.

My concern is that whilst Brent is using the council as his banker, PR will be screwing Brent behind his back next season, and before we know it, the club will be heading out to sea with no way of getting back, and the council will be left with a white elephant. Pengelly if you do that, then your days are numbered as a leader because you will be voted out.

Re: Peter Reid leaves Argyle

Posted: 21:40 19 Sep 2011
by Bristol Rich
djg145 wrote: LOL some comments on here are really an insult to the education system.

Argyle are in this state because of the incompetence of the previous board.

Without that incompetence, Argyle would have NOT been relegated last season.

There's more incompetence, the Administrator, it's his incompetence that Argyle are still in administration.

Without this Administrator and his blinkered views as to who should be the 'preferred bidder' things would/should have been sorted, Argyle should by now have been operating as a 'normal' football club.

In my opinion Peter Reid as been dealt a rubbish hand and he as done the best with that hand.

Peter Reid, the Players and Staff can and should hold their heads up high and be proud of themselves.

The same cannot be said about all the other 'players' in this sorry saga.



The use of the phrase LOL is an insult to the education system.

Had Peter Ried of had a clue what he was doing in the first few months of the season then we would have stayed up. For example playing BWP.

Re: Peter Reid leaves Argyle

Posted: 21:59 19 Sep 2011
by Chris Dennis
stewthenoo wrote: Absolutely makes my blood boil the way that Peter Reid has been treated. "It's results that matter", the silk tongued CEO in administration says. Why, oh why, then did the administrators not take the same line when dealing with the previous PB? Perhaps then Peter Reid may have had the opportunity to spend a little money to get the players in he really wanted and the players here would have been able to play knowing they were earning a regular wage and playing football with total concentration on the game, rather than what was going on around them.

Reid's contribution towards getting Argyle to this point has been monumental. Under normal circumstances his results would certainly merit a change of manager. However the timing of this is somewhat suspect (or fortuitous). Having now heard that we have a new management team of Karl and Ro, I do wonder what their vast managerial experience (not meant with any malice towards them whatsoever) will bring to the fold? I want them to do well (I wanted Reid to do well). Are they to be sacrificed also when results fail to turn around? I hope not and wish them both well, as I do to Peter Reid as he moves on.

Talking of moving on, some would argue that having removed by site admin the club of all the talent likely to keep them up, a certain other person should also be moving on?


There is absolutely no doubt that results have been affected by what is going on off the field. The players have said it has been very difficult to concentrate on playing when you don't know whether you might default on your mortgage for example.

Would Reid have been sacked if the youth team had lost 9-0 at Burton for example?

Why weren't they paid when the money was available not a good result there for the leaders of the club in this 'results business'.