Page 20 of 21

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 12:24 27 Sep 2011
by Arch Stanton
IJN wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote: Sniping from the sidelines is one thing being the man that calls the shots is another.


Agree with that Arch, 100%. :greensmile:


:lol:

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 12:24 27 Sep 2011
by esmer
Ernie wrote:
Andy_S wrote:
Ernie wrote:
Andy_S wrote:
a strong proponent of the organic growth model,which was the real reason behind our clubs downfall?


You couldn't possibly be thinking that JB is about to throw millions at the club, could you?

If you are, you're about to be very sadly mistaken!

The ONLY way, according to JB, is for the club to grow organically - within it's own means.


I think you may have missed the point I was making Andy. Peter Jones and now, James Brent , understand that there is only so far the club can go organically, because we don't have the luxury of a 20 k fanbase built on years of top exposure like eg Norwich.
As the 13th largest city club we can and will repeat the last promotions because we are one of the big fish down there.

Brent said as much recently. Not his exact words but he said that it would be time to pass on the baton to someone with the money and interest in the football, the next time we get to the Championship.
That is what the last 'owners' failed to consider doing.


It was Greenskin's post Ernie but...

Sorry Ernie but I think you're wrong with that statement.

Messrs Stapleton, Dennerly & Co DID bring onboard people who they thought would have the wherewithall for "the push".

As it turned out, some due dilligence wouldn't have gone amiss!! Kagami and Synan had even LESS money than Stapleton & Co (plenty on paper, none in real terms) and Gardner and Toad were only interested in what they could make out of WC2018.

Fwiw, I think Stapleton had the organic model just about spot on. We were a club that was the envy of many. No debt and constantly on the up.

Good choice to bring in new people - bad choice in new people!!



Sorry Andy but they only brought in the new, wrong people, when the club was already in decline, having lost Holloway and his players.
They should have recognised that they were outclassed financially at the level but heroics by Pulis and Holloway led them to believe they could maintain their financial interest and sustain a good side. It was never going to happen.
At least Jones and now Brent realise their limitations. Stapleton and co. got greedy.
If Argyle had been marketed well immediately on return to the 2nd tier, we were a good investment risk for someone with the money and imagination to make the difference. The potential fanbase would support if they could see some real investment and it wouldn't need to be huge. Just enough to attract and retain staff good enough to mount a promotion challenge. The sort of £1 million players Pulis was able to bring to Stoke. The sort of loan signings Ollie brought to Blackpool.
Our board were up to their necks because they had no money and gates were not as high as many with more illustrious histories.
They only 'cashed in' when it was far too late and even then they couldn't give up their interest completely. They wanted it all.
Outclassed in every respect.

The truth is we didn't get the support which would have attracted the quality of investors we needed. After our first season in the Championship our gates fell away, despite the relative success we had during Olly's time in charge.

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 12:30 27 Sep 2011
by Gary_Wills
Bit more to it than customer numbers. Plus that implies blame the customers, which is never a good conclusion in business. Never.

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 12:34 27 Sep 2011
by esmer
I'm sure James Brent (assuming he completes the deal) will appoint a competent board of directors, who will in turn select their chairman and CEO.
The thing is if we do well no one cares or takes much notice of who is in the boardroom, if we do poorly they're there for us to us to give a good kicking (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 14:12 27 Sep 2011
by Ian Newell
tynans jockstrap wrote: and not a fat, balding 40 year old dreamer in an Argyle shirt at his keyboard!


I'm 58 I'll have you know! :greensmile:

Good words and 100% in agreement.

Pasoti will never change though, that's the nature of this beast, always has been and always will be.

Plenty of 'normal' fans out there, who detest this site, and who can blame then on occasions.

Underneath it all (on THIS site at least) we ARE all Argyle fans and that is what counts.

By the way TJ, James Brent does read this site avidly, I can assure you of that. :angel:

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 14:19 27 Sep 2011
by jimbo_the_green
IJN wrote:
By the way TJ, James Brent does read this site avidly, I can assure you of that. :angel:


Hi James. Cool name :thumbup:

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 14:25 27 Sep 2011
by Greenskin
esmer wrote:
Ernie wrote:
Andy_S wrote:
Ernie wrote:
Andy_S wrote:
a strong proponent of the organic growth model,which was the real reason behind our clubs downfall?


You couldn't possibly be thinking that JB is about to throw millions at the club, could you?

If you are, you're about to be very sadly mistaken!

The ONLY way, according to JB, is for the club to grow organically - within it's own means.


I think you may have missed the point I was making Andy. Peter Jones and now, James Brent , understand that there is only so far the club can go organically, because we don't have the luxury of a 20 k fanbase built on years of top exposure like eg Norwich.
As the 13th largest city club we can and will repeat the last promotions because we are one of the big fish down there.

Brent said as much recently. Not his exact words but he said that it would be time to pass on the baton to someone with the money and interest in the football, the next time we get to the Championship.
That is what the last 'owners' failed to consider doing.


It was Greenskin's post Ernie but...

Sorry Ernie but I think you're wrong with that statement.

Messrs Stapleton, Dennerly & Co DID bring onboard people who they thought would have the wherewithall for "the push".

As it turned out, some due dilligence wouldn't have gone amiss!! Kagami and Synan had even LESS money than Stapleton & Co (plenty on paper, none in real terms) and Gardner and Toad were only interested in what they could make out of WC2018.

Fwiw, I think Stapleton had the organic model just about spot on. We were a club that was the envy of many. No debt and constantly on the up.

Good choice to bring in new people - bad choice in new people!!



Sorry Andy but they only brought in the new, wrong people, when the club was already in decline, having lost Holloway and his players.
They should have recognised that they were outclassed financially at the level but heroics by Pulis and Holloway led them to believe they could maintain their financial interest and sustain a good side. It was never going to happen.
At least Jones and now Brent realise their limitations. Stapleton and co. got greedy.
If Argyle had been marketed well immediately on return to the 2nd tier, we were a good investment risk for someone with the money and imagination to make the difference. The potential fanbase would support if they could see some real investment and it wouldn't need to be huge. Just enough to attract and retain staff good enough to mount a promotion challenge. The sort of £1 million players Pulis was able to bring to Stoke. The sort of loan signings Ollie brought to Blackpool.
Our board were up to their necks because they had no money and gates were not as high as many with more illustrious histories.
They only 'cashed in' when it was far too late and even then they couldn't give up their interest completely. They wanted it all.
Outclassed in every respect.

The truth is we didn't get the support which would have attracted the quality of investors we needed. After our first season in the Championship our gates fell away, despite the relative success we had during Olly's time in charge.



As has been pointed out many times,seemingly to little effect,other clubs who were in a far worse position than Argyle were,both status and attendance wise, in 2007 have attracted investors who invest on what could be achieved,not on the status quo.

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 14:32 27 Sep 2011
by Greenrod
Well said that man.

Survival under James Brent and winning games.

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 14:53 27 Sep 2011
by dunlop
I can't understand where some people are coming from, after what this club has gone through in the past 5 years through mismanagement, lies and deceit, we have a gentleman of integrity no flannel who is prepared to step in and SAVE our club, I am sure who ever the board of directors are will be a much better bunch than the previous lot, I am not too sure about Peter Jones, his sniping of Peter Ridsdale was far from being professional, never the less if James Brent thinks he can contribute we all must except his judgment.
Lets give this guy a chance, get behind the new set up, this could be our last chance.

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 14:59 27 Sep 2011
by Greenskin
Andy_S wrote:
a strong proponent of the organic growth model,which was the real reason behind our clubs downfall?


You couldn't possibly be thinking that JB is about to throw millions at the club, could you?

If you are, you're about to be very sadly mistaken!

The ONLY way, according to JB, is for the club to grow organically - within it's own means.



Andy,how the hell did you deduce that conclusion from my previous post? If you look at a post i made on ATD a couple of days ago [i realise that looking therein may be anathema to you,so be it] i was reasonably supportive of the way forward that Mr Brent outlined in his speech on Saturday. I do realise that circumstances now are rather different from 2007 ,when it didn't need millions pumped in to give the club a real chance of real progress.In fact,Mr Brent summed up a potential future same case scenario as follows;

"The advice i have also received is that,without huge additional investment,the club can trade up to CCC/League 1 level but that without big investment,it is not a premiership club.If someone wants to make that investment to take the club into the premiership,it will be our successor,rather than us.When we decide to hand over tha baton of ownership,we will try to make sure that it is to someone who shares the same values as us but hopefully even richer and more passionate about football"

Good on him.He is saying nothing about organic growth as the only means of progress,he recognises that there may come a time in the future [hopefully not too long] when he and his associates,whoever they may be, will not be able to take the club further,which IMHO is recognising the single most important lesson to be learnt from our last stay in the second tier.Pumping millions into the club at the moment never entered into the equation,although the building of an adequate squad to at least compete at fourth tier level is prerequisite and i'm sure that Mr Brent recognises this.

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 15:10 27 Sep 2011
by MickyD
I think it's naive to accuse Peter Jones of sniping and being unprofessional. First, he's a passionate Argyle fan; second, he's a former director; third, he's someone who (we're all assuming, at least) wants to play some part in the new regime; and fourth, he's entitled to his opinions just the same as everyone else. I, for one, am always very interested to hear what he has to say.

What's he supposed to do? Sit on the sidelines, say nothing, and watch his beloved club be destroyed - or "snipe unprofessionally"? I know which I'd prefer, and I have to say that his posts and utterances seem infinitely more honest and straightforward - and, yes, passionate - than any number of weasel words we've heard from numerous other parties associated with Argyle over the last few years.

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 15:13 27 Sep 2011
by Chill-Pil-Grim
Seconded Micky. Which in PIES terms is one away from being passed as a motion......Droly..?

Re: Peter Jones for Chairman/James Brent's new board?

Posted: 15:17 27 Sep 2011
by MickyD
Pass you own motions, matey! Not a problem with that Weetabix diet of yours, I should imagine.