Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ex military on pasoti?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:14 pm 

Are there any ex military that post on pasoti? Reason I ask is because after 13 years of service I’ve decided it’s time to move on, as the job has taken up so much of my life over that period of time and feel I need a change, trouble is I’m not sure what that change is going to be just yet, does anyone on here have any experience of the transition from military to civilian work/life? And what sort of work have you gone into?

Post subject: Re: Ex military on pasoti?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:21 pm 

Mods I should have put this post on opinions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:17 am 
Site Admin, Player Sponsor #1 18/19, Player Sponsor #2 18/19, PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19 and PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19

I think a lot of it depends on your "trade" in the Forces.

I left the RN after 16 years in 1981. I was a Communicator. I could type, read morse, understand signal flags and had clearance to Nato Top Secret. It didn't do me the slightest bit of good in Civvy Street! :lol:

The thing that disappointed me so much was the lack of assistance for the transition, even back then.

We had a choice of 2 courses to attend, mechanics or domestic electrical. I chose the mechanics course and spent 3 weeks taking a Ford 1300cc Crossflow engine and an 850cc A Series Mini engine apart and putting them back together again! That was it, here's your certificate.

As it was, after being turned down by D & C and the Met, I joined Cumbria Police. The transition into the police was dead easy, purely because of the similarities in the job...and the camaraderie.

The bit that I found really difficult was when I left the police! I ended up reading a bucket load of books on Accountancy and ended up getting a job in that field until I buggered off to New Zealand...and retirement on Police and RN Pensions!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:33 am 

Hardest part for me on leaving the RAF was realising that Civvies prefer to be asked to do a job as opposed to told as in the Forces.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:34 am 

Andy_S wrote:
I think a lot of it depends on your "trade" in the Forces.

I left the RN after 16 years in 1981. I was a Communicator. I could type, read morse, understand signal flags and had clearance to Nato Top Secret. It didn't do me the slightest bit of good in Civvy Street! :lol:

The thing that disappointed me so much was the lack of assistance for the transition, even back then.

We had a choice of 2 courses to attend, mechanics or domestic electrical. I chose the mechanics course and spent 3 weeks taking a Ford 1300cc Crossflow engine and an 850cc A Series Mini engine apart and putting them back together again! That was it, here's your certificate.

As it was, after being turned down by D & C and the Met, I joined Cumbria Police. The transition into the police was dead easy, purely because of the similarities in the job...and the camaraderie.

The bit that I found really difficult was when I left the police! I ended up reading a bucket load of books on Accountancy and ended up getting a job in that field until I buggered off to New Zealand...and retirement on Police and RN Pensions!

Sounds like you’ve done well Andy. As in terms of transition, this seems to have come on a long way these past 5 years or so. You can have help with the whole process with CTP, careers transition partnership. We also get funding to re train. I’ve yet to decide what to re train into. I know I have a lot of transferable skills I can take into a civilian job. I’ve spent my time in the infantry and at the moment I’m in a training role developing partner forces across the world. So leaving to do something that will be 9-5 in Plymouth will be tricky. I’m maybe leaning towards going to uni and training to become a teacher. I’ve options, I just want to make the right one for me and my family. Not looking forward to the likely drop in wage though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:36 am 

Wozzer wrote:
Hardest part for me on leaving the RAF was realising that Civvies prefer to be asked to do a job as opposed to told as in the Forces.

Haha yeah I could imagine that would a bit different.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:00 am 

Left, turned it off and never looked back