Have Argyle Ever Fended Off A Hostile Bid | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Have Argyle Ever Fended Off A Hostile Bid

Aug 3, 2017
Purrington did come out in the press and express his desire to play in the Championship ā€˜even if Iā€™ll be in the same league next seasonā€™. He wanted to go.

What is it about our attitude to footballers who happen to play for our team for a relatively brief period during a very short career. If you or I decide to change jobs for either more money, closer access to our home town or family, a promotion or an easier commute, we are seen as sensible, ambitious adults. However when it's an employee of our club, then so often that player is branded by many of our fans as dis-loyal.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Beyton_Green":6vk47dac said:
I'm not sure Carey counts?
Why? He was wanted by a number of clubs who (presumably) made offers. We made an offer that persuaded him to stay - even if (presumably) it was not quite as good financially for him. Why doesn't that count as "fending off a hostile bid"?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Ave_IT":2wytkm4k said:
Beyton_Green":2wytkm4k said:
Why? He was wanted by a number of clubs who (presumably) made offers. We made an offer that persuaded him to stay - even if (presumably) it was not quite as good financially for him. Why doesn't that count as "fending off a hostile bid"?

Because there was no bid in footballing terms. A bid requires someone to offer us money for him. Which never happened.

The only one I can think of is Bradley in the summer, if there was any truth behind Luton making a bid.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Nobby":3kvl9ivc said:
Ave_IT":3kvl9ivc said:
Beyton_Green":3kvl9ivc said:

Because there was no bid in footballing terms. A bid requires someone to offer us money for him. Which never happened.

The only one I can think of is Bradley in the summer, if there was any truth behind Luton making a bid.
So you mean because we didnā€™t turn down any cash as a transfer bid? OK thatā€™s true, ā€“ but doesnā€™t it amount to much the same thing whether the club substantially increases his wages to fend off others trying to sign him OR rejects an offer of cash for his services ? Either way the club makes a financial sacrifice (and uses its powers of persuasion) to fend off hostile bids to keep the player.

Larry David

āœ… Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
On the subject of hostile bids. I'm not sure about Derek saying that a club have not yet met Argyles valuation of Ryan Taylor (at least I think it's Taylor he's referring to) saying he doesn't think Ryan will leave in the January window. Would much rather hear him say Ryan's going nowhere in fact we're going to sit down with him and discuss an extension to his current contract. Would be a massive blow to lose him IMHO.

https://t.co/xDPBYFgq2x

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
That stinks.

Heā€™s basically said meet our valuation of any player and we will sell.

Oct 24, 2013
Tugboat":2c0hxwoa said:
That stinks.

Mourinho said exactly the same thing in a Man Utd presser this week. Not about Ryan Taylor, obviously...

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
lyndhurst green":2qs3u7tw said:
Tugboat":2qs3u7tw said:
That stinks.

Mourinho said exactly the same thing in a Man Utd presser this week. Not about Ryan Taylor, obviously...

Are you seriously comparing the ability to recruit between us and Manchester United!

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Ade the green":1q0syxo9 said:
lyndhurst green":1q0syxo9 said:
Tugboat":1q0syxo9 said:
That stinks.

Are you seriously comparing the ability to recruit between us and Manchester United!

I think he's saying that everyone is for sale, as long as the price is right.

Beyton Green

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Feb 19, 2005
Never forget only for a 'Plymouth Price's. Copyright Paul Sturrock