Cyrille Regis | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Cyrille Regis

Apr 29, 2016
I know that Dave Regis, his brother, played for Argyle but Wikipedia has Cyrille Regis down as moving from Argyle to West Brom in around 1977. I can vaguely remember back to 1966 and Dave McClaren but I can’t remember Cyrille Regis ever having played for Argyle. I have frequent senior moments but any thoughts anyone?

J

James_Dennis

Is my memory playing tricks on me or did Cyrille play for Wycombe Wanderers in the twilight of his career? Seem to remember him playing for them against us at Home Park in about March/April 1995, as we unsuccessfully battled (well, at least one or two players....) against relegation. Seem to remember a 2-2 draw.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
James_Dennis":3rzzxseg said:
Is my memory playing tricks on me or did Cyrille play for Wycombe Wanderers in the twilight of his career? Seem to remember him playing for them against us at Home Park in about March/April 1995, as we unsuccessfully battled (well, at least one or two players....) against relegation. Seem to remember a 2-2 draw.

Yes, he had a season there.

J

James_Dennis

James_Dennis":likq4hrf said:

Found out the answer to my own question. It was 15 October 1994 (thanks Greens on Screen) and not only did Cyrille Regis play, but he scored twice! I think I watched that one from the Mayflower terrace and, regrettably, I recall Regis receiving a lot of racist abuse as he walked down the tunnel. Typically of the man, he smiled back as if to say "Heard it all before, mate, and you won't get to me that way".

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
James_Dennis":35xf5mqv said:
James_Dennis":35xf5mqv said:

Found out the answer to my own question. It was 15 October 1994 (thanks Greens on Screen) and not only did Cyrille Regis play, but he scored twice! I think I watched that one from the Mayflower terrace and, regrettably, I recall Regis receiving a lot of racist abuse as he walked down the tunnel. Typically of the man, he smiled back as if to say "Heard it all before, mate, and you won't get to me that way".
Another source for you:

Two goals from Cyrille Regis helped Wanderers to a 2-2 draw in their visit ever visit to Home Park to take on Plymouth Argyle. Martin O'Neill's side trailed twice against a side but had Regis to thank for a share of the points as the 36 year old took his goal tally to 7 in 14 for the season to date.

Chairboys

J

James_Dennis

Keepitgreen":3k4kozpa said:
James_Dennis":3k4kozpa said:
James_Dennis":3k4kozpa said:

Another source for you:

Two goals from Cyrille Regis helped Wanderers to a 2-2 draw in their visit ever visit to Home Park to take on Plymouth Argyle. Martin O'Neill's side trailed twice against a side but had Regis to thank for a share of the points as the 36 year old took his goal tally to 7 in 14 for the season to date.

Chairboys

Thanks!

Aug 2, 2011
I do not recall Cyrille Regis ever playing for Argyle. I certainly remember Dave Maclaren in goal but pretty certain Regis was not on our books at that time.

He was very talented player and man and it was good that all our fans showed our respect on Saturday. I think Argyle can hold its head high as having one of the first black players on their books in Jack Leslie - at the time the only black player in the English league.

J

James_Dennis

Presto":225bs7vy said:
I do not recall Cyrille Regis ever playing for Argyle. I certainly remember Dave Maclaren in goal but pretty certain Regis was not on our books at that time.

He was very talented player and man and it was good that all our fans showed our respect on Saturday. I think Argyle can hold its head high as having one of the first black players on their books in Jack Leslie - at the time the only black player in the English league.

....who it is believed might have received an England call-up but for the colour of his skin.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
James_Dennis":p5zk3b2u said:
Presto":p5zk3b2u said:

....who it is believed might have received an England call-up but for the colour of his skin.
Argyle definitely received notice that Leslie had been selected to play against Scotland at Wembley. The club secretary felt it would be wise to inform the FA that Mr Leslie was black. The man at the FA immediately told the Argyle official that the invitation was withdrawn. It was another 40 years before Viv Anderson became the first black player to play for the full England team.

Aug 2, 2011
memory man":398h0ujt said:
James_Dennis":398h0ujt said:
Presto":398h0ujt said:

Argyle definitely received notice that Leslie had been selected to play against Scotland at Wembley. The club secretary felt it would be wise to inform the FA that Mr Leslie was black. The man at the FA immediately told the Argyle official that the invitation was withdrawn. It was another 40 years before Viv Anderson became the first black player to play for the full England team.

A very sad reflection on the powers that were running football at that time. At least Argyle recognised the lads talent regardless of his skin colour and he was great player for us.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Presto":353ik4tm said:
memory man":353ik4tm said:
James_Dennis":353ik4tm said:
Presto":353ik4tm said:

A very sad reflection on the powers that were running football at that time. At least Argyle recognised the lads talent regardless of his skin colour and he was great player for us.

It seems incredible now to think that players got selected for England without being watched by any of the selection committee otherwise such a fact would be known to them. I guess that's the nearest Argyle have ever got to having a full England international representative.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Obviously tempting to always think everyone older is a bit stupider, but does seem far too improbable that the selection process would not involve somebody seeing the sport played by the individual. Surely communications within the FA beyond scouts and managers must have occurred once the red flag from Home Park was received.

Would have involved way further torture for Mr Leslie, but greater steps might have been made quicker if he’d gone and been turned away at the bigots’ doorstep.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
djg145":20655c94 said:
Does Dave Regis live locally - just wondering why he chose to be at Home Park.

Don't know where he lives but Sparksy has said this morning that it was a visit that was arranged before the death of his brother that he decided to fulfill.