Luke ! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Luke !

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
chunkymonkey78":19c1nrsa said:
Why would letheren be released? He looks a decent back up keeper?

I like him, he stepped in and did a decent job, but Luke is the better keeper for me.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
It may be a coincidence but I don't think Luke has been the same player since he was made captain.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
I think he'll be competing for our number 2 next season, with Cooper.

I do think he'll be with us for years yet though.

He's still a very good keeper at this level.

Sep 19, 2015
Decent number two for any club in this division. Both Matthews and Roos have proved that there are far superior keepers out there though and that bringing them to Home Park should not be a challenge.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Famous last words, but I don’t think he’ll (McC)
ever play a first team match for us again. Recently, He’s not good enough, poor in the air, can’t defend his 6 yard box and is a liability at his near post.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I'd like to see him as a back-up next year, I certainly wouldn't want him to leave. He's a great influence to have around, especially for a young keeper like Cooper.

Luke in a playing/coaching role would be perfect IMO, covering for a Matthews standard starter along with Cooper.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Knibbsworth":o6ip4a61 said:
Matthews can't kick and won't be here next season.

McCormick is worthy of a contract extension IMHO.

Spot on Knibbs. Matthews' kicking is poor and he is not as good under the high ball as some here will have you believe. Shot stopping the two keepers are about equal. Matthews shades it in terms of decision making although we've seen some wobblies there too.

Luke will be number 1 next season, Letheren will be number 2 and Cooper will be the back up. Matthews will be back at Norwich. There are areas other than goalie that will need work if we are going to move forward from this season.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Going to totally disagree with some here but I think Matthews is a very good keeper at this level - his command is fine (the odd flap aside it is generally very good, certainly better than Luke's), his agility is as good as Luke's, his handling is much better and I think he is better with the ball at his feet too. He has made mistakes, but so does every keeper at this level. Also got age on his side - I'd be delighted to have him back.

Cooper should be our number 2 / challenging for number 1 next season, he has bags of potential clearly.

As for 3rd choice / coaching role, I couldn't call it between Luke and Letheren - both have done pretty well this season, Letheren slightly better perhaps but then again Luke proved to be a very good captain last season. Tough to call. What I completely disagree with is people saying that Luke should be first choice next season - we can do better. I want a first choice keeper who dominates his box more - like Matthews does.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
People on here need to start thinking of life without Matthews next season. His manager has stated that he expects him to be challenging for the number 1 spot at Norwich next season. If Luke decides to carry on I'd be happy for him to be No 1.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Keepitgreen":28w6m4im said:
People on here need to start thinking of life without Matthews next season. His manager has stated that he expects him to be challenging for the number 1 spot at Norwich next season. If Luke decides to carry on I'd be happy for him to be No 1.
I agree but I would like to see an outfield captain. Perhaps, Bradley, who is given the armband when Sawyer is substituted or even Sarcevic if we are seeing his true level of performance in recent games.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I don't think that Matthews's arrival did kick-start our revival. Things started to improve when we drew at home to Shrewsbury. Letheren was our keeper for that game and started the following game before he was injured and the very promising Mike Cooper came on in the second half. Of the 6 games in Matthews's first spell, we lost 0-1 to Portsmouth after his error and we also lost 0-4 to Oxford after Eddy was sent off. He was not blameless for 2 of their goals, in my opinion. I do think that Diagouraga rightly gets credit for helping to kick-start our revival.

Having said that, I am very pleased that we managed to get Matthews on loan for the remainder of this season and would be comfortable, on his current form, for him to retain his place even if Luke becomes fully fit.

Apr 9, 2011
Sadly have to agree with those who say we have seen the best of LM. After his injuries this season forced us to scout around for keepers, am afraid imo we came to realise he is not the keeper he was. Still useful to have around the club as a back up though

Feb 8, 2005
At the end of the season, Matthews will go back to his home club. Luke should be fit for next season and Letheren may be given another chance to show what he can do.

Neither have let the Club down, and I cannot see Adams getting rid of his Captain.