Brief Synopsis!!! (Bradford) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis!!! (Bradford)

Mar 14, 2009
The spark early on was Lameiras. Receiving the ball, twisting and turning. He was the person who was going to help break the deadlock I thought.

Almost a beautiful goal when it was cut back to him in the box by Carey and he hit it low and a few yards wide to the left.

A quick free kick saw Taylor almost free just inside the box in a central position. He wanted a touch (or two) and by then he was closed down.

I felt today we just didn't take enough care with the final ball. Argyle were the better side. We created the better chances. Yet I felt when we got ourselves in good positions we rushed it too much and that caused our final pass or cross to be defended fairly easily at times.

The goal in the first half was a decent move. A shot by Sarcevic, which caught a handy deflection and lifted it over the goalkeeper. Just goes to show what I was saying earlier in the season kind of rings true. We often didn't shoot enough at the start of the season because we didn't get bodies enough forward and because of that you wont get your scrappy goals. However, today there is Sarcevic once again getting in the box and getting his reward for finding space and shooting.

Bradford were very workmanlike. Seem initially they had a cross and shoot on sight policy. As the first half wore on I had a sense of feeling very comfortable about the situation. Maybe it was Bradley and Vyner having good games. Yet I also believe they lack a spark like we saw with Wimbledon's Lyle Taylor. Just shows you how one player can influence a teams performance at this level.

The second half was scrappy by both sides. Bradford put in some crosses. One low cross in the last 5-10 mins of the game where nobody got a touch but was close as I can remember for Bradford being a chance. Argyle had half chances on the break. A penalty shout near the end by Sarcevic, the trouble being he may gone down a little easily. The best chance of all being in the final mins where (I think) it was Ness that went through on goal after Argyle closing down to get the ball in the Bradford half. He produced a wonderful chip finish only to go agonisingly wide.

It wasn't a great performance like we seem of attacking football by Argyle. Like one or two have said the crowd, mainly the home crowd, were a little flat before the goal. This situation we are in is fantastic but its now its seems hope might be exceeded by expectation of us now gaining a playoff birth. Now we have a very good chance of gaining a playoff spot I do wonder if this is a reason the last couple of games have seen us play a little more cagey. The weight of expectation wasn't there weeks ago and now there is a realisation we can do it. I do hope we play in the same manner as the past months because although we may of been too open at times its the best we have seen Argyle play under Adams and its the best performances too.

Strong defensive display though. Vyner looks more impressive with every game he plays. Now Ness is match-fit he contributes to the team and he is quite an effective player as he goes about his business quietly. Sarcevic, plays on the edge. I think to get the best of himself he has to play on emotion. However, opposition sides I think have taken note and do try to wind him up. Going to be a stern test of his temperament over the coming weeks.

Apr 5, 2008
Just speechless now.This season is heading towards the greatest in Argyle's long history.To think where we were after 10 games to where we are now is just well it's like a dream you had but this time it came true.

I'm still in denial now I just can't fathom what Derek Adams has done in a few months to change this team from relegation favs with every single bookmakers,to a team since 10 games played,has the best form in the whole country.
Should win manager of the year by a country mile.Only thing I worry is at end of season some big club will come for him,and how could Argyle refuse him permission to talk to them after what he has done for Argyle .His reputation is as high as Mount Everest,so almost certain a big club will come knocking.

Best win rate of any Argyle manger,best away form by any Argyle team in the history of the club.

He is going to go down as a legend for evermore

Sep 6, 2006
AdelaideGreen":2hy3mwj3 said:
Fat_green_belly":2hy3mwj3 said:
Another very good manager up next. I Cannot believe a keith hill team is now bottom tbh. Albeit with tiny rochdale.
Perhaps, just like DA did, he will turn it around starting against us next saturday.
So we need to be on our game thats for sure. Hopefully we can do it. So come on you greens. Keep that peddle down hard.

Hopefully Rochdale will be fully distracted by their FA Cup 5th round tie on Tuesday on a new pitch in (probably) freezing Siberian conditions.

COYG :scarf:

Can't see it being on.

Sep 6, 2006
moles40":2rqftkq1 said:
Just speechless now.This season is heading towards the greatest in Argyle's long history.To think where we were after 10 games to where we are now is just well it's like a dream you had but this time it came true.

I'm still in denial now I just can't fathom what Derek Adams has done in a few months to change this team from relegation favs with every single bookmakers,to a team since 10 games played,has the best form in the whole country.
Should win manager of the year by a country mile.Only thing I worry is at end of season some big club will come for him,and how could Argyle refuse him permission to talk to them after what he has done for Argyle .His reputation is as high as Mount Everest,so almost certain a big club will come knocking.

Best win rate of any Argyle manger,best away form by any Argyle team in the history of the club.

He is going to go down as a legend for evermore

Calm down dear. We are 6th in Div. 3. How does that qualify as 'greatest in our history'? Try a sense of proportion. Greatest turnaround quite possibly. But Adams was in charge when we were rubbish too.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
17 games in a row now in which we've scored. 6 wins in a row. 8 wins out of 9 at home (which isn't bad considering that 1 up front doesn't work at home according to many on here...).

Very good all round. Not our best performance of the season, but we had moments of really good interchange and creativity, and we dug in when we needed to. Very pleasing.

Matthews 8

Threlkeld 7
Vyner 7
Bradley 8
Sawyer 7

Sarcevic 7
Fox 7
Ness 8

Lameiras 8
Taylor 7
Carey 6

Subs: Songo'o 6, ATS 6.

Two critical things that we need to react to now: 1) How we react when the winning run inevitably ends - can we bounce back? 2) How we react to now being in the playoff places - in 13/14 for example, we got into the playoff places with 9 games left, and then plummeted, winning only one more game. Hopefully that doesn't happen this time.

Sep 6, 2006
Dan Ellard":jlt226pt said:
17 games in a row now in which we've scored. 6 wins in a row. 8 wins out of 9 at home (which isn't bad considering that 1 up front doesn't work at home according to many on here...).

Very good all round. Not our best performance of the season, but we had moments of really good interchange and creativity, and we dug in when we needed to. Very pleasing.

Matthews 8

Threlkeld 7
Vyner 7
Bradley 8
Sawyer 7

Sarcevic 7
Fox 7
Ness 8

Lameiras 8
Taylor 7
Carey 6

Two critical things that we need to react to now: 1) How we react when the winning run inevitably ends - can we bounce back? 2) How we react to now being in the playoff places - in 13/14 for example, we got into the playoff places with 9 games left, and then plummeted, winning only one more game. Hopefully that doesn't happen this time.

Re 1 up front it DOESN'T work when you don't have the players I. E. Without Taylor

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
nick_PASTIE":321ga851 said:
davie nine":321ga851 said:
All signed by the manager who the majority on Pasoti posters wanted out in September. You can also add Lameiras who has now found his mojo and is an absolute pleasure to watch. Another ‘killer’ assist for today’s goal.

Loving the condescending tone of this. Yes I was questioning Adams along with majority but isn’t that partly what helps drive the club forward? If we all universally and blindly backed a manager and team all the team on a horrendous run of results and clapped and lauded without critiquing- we’ll what would be the point of that?

Criticism and debate makes us stronger and drives performance. It’s also another way of showing we actually care, especially when put forward in a constructive manner.

Well done for blind faith but I’m not a subscriber and never will be. It’s led to some pretty bad cultural and social political disasters.
No problem whatsoever with criticism and debate, Nick. I just could not understand the intolerance that, as soon as the team has a bad run, supporters are calling for the manager to be sacked. It was not blind faith, it was a perception that DA has shown that he is committed to his role at PAFC and deserved more support. At least, the people that mattered, his employers, showed faith in him.

Oct 31, 2015
Dan Ellard":15hr4e9d said:

Matthews 8

Threlkeld 7
Vyner 7
Bradley 8
Sawyer 7

Sarcevic 7
Fox 7
Ness 8

Lameiras 8
Taylor 7
Carey 6

One up front DOES not work. Since Reubs has come in we are playing 3 up front. What a difference it makes but you need the midfield to support the 3 up front.

In sep, oct and Nov we played one up front with 5 in midfield.

Life as a green is just sublime at the moment.

I agree after the inevitable loss in the future it will be how we bounce back.

Mar 14, 2009
On claret & banter forum page 19 the following poster said this

"Plymouth were one of the worst sides I have seen this season in the fa cup and the league. They stank the place out. For them to have improved so much and us to have fallen so far is testament to what an appalling balls up of a club we’ve been since the Yeovil game. All should hang their heads in shame. We’ve literally grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory. This starts at the very top of the club. If this wasnt a closed shop the board would lose their jobs and for me they should. Utter shambles. That’s you Edin."

A number of their fans agree. A number of Argyle fans may not. The point is interesting because I remember we were picking up results but playing nothing like the football we have been since Christmas. We grinded out results, needing slices of good fortune eg Matthews penalty save in the fa cup game against them, and maybe that was the platform we built to get to the situation we are now.

However, this comment just shows to me how poorly we were playing even back in November and very early December. Even when we had the brilliant Toums in the side. Despite some decent results we really didn't start to perform until Lameiras moved into a front 3 with Carey & Taylor. From that moment on we had something to build on. Although Toums was magnificent, even if he had stayed, I don't believe we would of made this turn around without the introduction of Lamieiras into our side. Its not just about his ability. Its more the fact Adams took a gamble and played another "forward type" player which stopped Carey being double mark and didn't leave Taylor as isolated.

I still think Adams will always be more cautious. Yesterday showed with his substitutions that he will try and close out games by going with defensive caution. Sometimes that will come unstuck but it was his great decision to welcome Lamerias back into the fold (as we have seen with others he has left out in the cold they don't often get another chance).

I think what opposition teams fans now can't figure out, like the most above, is why we have become much better. They are right about momentum and that there isn't that much difference between teams. Yet because they don't follow Argyle they wouldn't know of our more positive approach regarding the formation which has allowed people like Sarcevic more freedom to roam.

The cherry on the cake over the past months, so to speak, is that Matthews became the "sweeper keeper" we needed, Vyner added the pace to the back four that was missing centrally and Ness proved once he is match fit he is a decent player.

Just goes to show how long a football season is because I would imagine there is opposition teams we have seen earlier in the season that now will have improved or deiterated to so much of an extent we are wondering how that can be and making similar comments as the Bradford fans without really knowing all the reasons behind the changes you see on the pitch.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Green_Matt":2ylu8eop said:
Monster Green":2ylu8eop said:
Green_Matt":2ylu8eop said:
Not an exciting game but one in which we had to battle and work hard to create opportunities. There weren't too many of those for Argyle but pretty much none for Bradford. We got a bit of luck with the goal but it was well deserved. The team still look on top form so I'd back them to keep it going.

The usual problem of tannoy noise persists, and the minute's applause was followed immediately and unnecessarily with the reintroduction of that horrible, pounding Zombie 'music'. How crass. I do wonder what goes through the mind of the person(s) in control of this, who clearly think this is a good thing.

What do you reckon we should play after we celebrate the goal? I actually don't mind the current tune! Gets everyone going, and seeing the Demports hands and arms going nuts in time to it is a cracking site. IMO of course
We should celebrate the goal and play nothing. If a goal isn't enough for someone then what are they doing at a football match to begin with?
Personally I love a bit of music after the goal. This isn't my fave but it'll do. I preferred last season's, whatever it was called.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":31vqt494 said:
On claret & banter forum page 19 the following poster said this

"Plymouth were one of the worst sides I have seen this season in the fa cup and the league. They stank the place out. For them to have improved so much and us to have fallen so far is testament to what an appalling balls up of a club we’ve been since the Yeovil game. All should hang their heads in shame. We’ve literally grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory. This starts at the very top of the club. If this wasnt a closed shop the board would lose their jobs and for me they should. Utter shambles. That’s you Edin."

A number of their fans agree. A number of Argyle fans may not. The point is interesting because I remember we were picking up results but playing nothing like the football we have been since Christmas. We grinded out results, needing slices of good fortune eg Matthews penalty save in the fa cup game against them, and maybe that was the platform we built to get to the situation we are now.

However, this comment just shows to me how poorly we were playing even back in November and very early December. Even when we had the brilliant Toums in the side. Despite some decent results we really didn't start to perform until Lameiras moved into a front 3 with Carey & Taylor. From that moment on we had something to build on. Although Toums was magnificent, even if he had stayed, I don't believe we would have made this turn around without the introduction of Lamieiras into our side. Its not just about his ability. Its more the fact Adams took a gamble and played another "forward type" player which stopped Carey being double mark and didn't leave Taylor as isolated.

I still think Adams will always be more cautious. Yesterday showed with his substitutions that he will try and close out games by going with defensive caution. Sometimes that will come unstuck but it was his great decision to welcome Lamerias back into the fold (as we have seen with others he has left out in the cold they don't often get another chance).

I think what opposition teams fans now can't figure out, like the most above, is why we have become much better. They are right about momentum and that there isn't that much difference between teams. Yet because they don't follow Argyle they wouldn't know of our more positive approach regarding the formation which has allowed people like Sarcevic more freedom to roam.

The cherry on the cake over the past months, so to speak, is that Matthews became the "sweeper keeper" we needed, Vyner added the pace to the back four that was missing centrally and Ness proved once he is match fit he is a decent player.

Just goes to show how long a football season is because I would imagine there is opposition teams we have seen earlier in the season that now will have improved or deiterated to so much of an extent we are wondering how that can be and making similar comments as the Bradford fans without really knowing all the reasons behind the changes you see on the pitch.
Absolutely spot on

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
AdelaideGreen":4bf52fp8 said:
Fat_green_belly":4bf52fp8 said:
Another very good manager up next. I Cannot believe a keith hill team is now bottom tbh. Albeit with tiny rochdale.
Perhaps, just like DA did, he will turn it around starting against us next saturday.
So we need to be on our game thats for sure. Hopefully we can do it. So come on you greens. Keep that peddle down hard.

Hopefully Rochdale will be fully distracted by their FA Cup 5th round tie on Tuesday on a new pitch in (probably) freezing Siberian conditions.

Rochdale's FA Cup match is on Wednesday 28th February at Wembley
FA Cup Fifth Round - Replay

Tottenham Hotspur 19:45 vs Rochdale

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
So the Rochdale players will have just 65 hours between the final whistle of their game against Spurs and the start of their game against Argyle, assuming that the cup game doesn’t go to extra time that is.

Nov 4, 2012
The poorest we've played at home for a while. We couldn't get our usually sublime passing rhythm going and at times we overcomplicated things. Carey and Lameiras weren't quite at their best but they were still good and made things happen. That said the effort, the work rate, the desire to close down and the passion on display could not be faulted and that is all I ask of any Argyle team. It was a good performance and a deserved win but I know we can play better than we did against a low on confidence Bradford.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
PutneyPete":3n3mngsh said:
AdelaideGreen":3n3mngsh said:
Fat_green_belly":3n3mngsh said:

Rochdale's FA Cup match is on Wednesday 28th February at Wembley
FA Cup Fifth Round - Replay

Tottenham Hotspur 19:45 vs Rochdale

So: do we want Rochdale to:

1) Get heavily stuffed and outclassed?
2) Play well but lose after a titanic struggle to a late ET winner or lose on pens?
30 Win the game.

Seriously, which might be best for us? :think: