Martyn Starnes to leave Argyle (joins Bristol Rovers) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Martyn Starnes to leave Argyle (joins Bristol Rovers)

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Can't believe he his still going to work out his notice period.

After seeing the announcement of the 2 new directors it s vitality important this post is filled by a football person.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I cannot imagine that he has gone for a bigger salary package given their gate attendances. He did come from Yeovil, so perhaps he has family connections in Somerset, with it being closer to Bristol.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Quintrell_Green":1a4bhgyz said:
I cannot imagine that he has gone for a bigger salary package given their gate attendances. He did come from Yeovil, so perhaps he has family connections in Somerset, with it being closer to Bristol.

From Wikipedia...

Wael Abdulkader Al-Qadi (born 25 November 1969 in Qatar) is the President of Bristol Rovers Football Club.

A member of the Al-Qadi family, who founded the Arab Jordan Investment Bank in Amman, Jordan.

:roll:

Can we please start moving away from the idea that attendances are the main factor in a club's spending power?

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Chancellor":1vjeepq9 said:
dunlop":1vjeepq9 said:

After seeing the announcement of the 2 new directors it s vitality important this post is filled by a football person.

Surely he has to go on gardening leave now?

Why does he have to go on gardening leave? Has he been dismissed? If not then he works his notice period. I just see this as a professional way of things.
The few times I have dealt with MS he has been polite, jovial and forthright in all his answers and solutions. I wish him all the best in his new role.

Jan 6, 2004
you don't always want people in senior roles working notice period when they have no future at the organisation - best thing is to waive the notice period and let him start at Rovers straight away

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Green_Flash":1dsiakdn said:
you don't always want people in senior roles working notice period when they have no future at the organisation - best thing is to waive the notice period and let him start at Rovers straight away
We've yet to appoint a replacement. You wouldn't let the captain of a ship leave without his relief being on board for a proper handover.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
In this case I'm not sure anyone would notice.

Pettgreen":bxbpaupf said:
Chancellor":bxbpaupf said:
dunlop":bxbpaupf said:

Surely he has to go on gardening leave now?

Why does he have to go on gardening leave? Has he been dismissed? If not then he works his notice period. I just see this as a professional way of things.
The few times I have dealt with MS he has been polite, jovial and forthright in all his answers and solutions. I wish him all the best in his new role.

Why? Because he is in a position with access to highly sensitive information, including player contracts etc.

Certainly not suggesting he is unscrupulous in any way but lets face it, he is going to a direct competitor. If he went on gardening leave he would no longer have that access and that sensitive information is highly likely to change over the next 3 1/2 months. If he stays he can still access that information up until the minute he leaves.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
I'm sure he will be a loss to us if everyone who met him is positive about him.

Seemed a bit low profile for me. I never met him but his Herald articles were very very very dull, just telling us stuff we knew.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Chancellor":qovoal8o said:
Why? Because he is in a position with access to highly sensitive information, including player contracts etc.

Certainly not suggesting he is unscrupulous in any way but lets face it, he is going to a direct competitor. If he went on gardening leave he would no longer have that access and that sensitive information is highly likely to change over the next 3 1/2 months. If he stays he can still access that information up until the minute he leaves.

Probably one of those things that it's probably best to leave to the club to worry about.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
crownhillpilgrim":395fcn32 said:
Chancellor":395fcn32 said:

Probably one of those things that it's probably best to leave to the club to worry about.
Chancellor has a very good point there.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Gardening leave is a must. Standard practice when moving to a competitor.
Will his actions always be in the best interest of Argyle? What if one of those actions is to the detriment of his future employer?
There is always the perception of ill motivation.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
I don’t agree Bryan; my perception of him is that the benefit to Argyle in him seeing us through that period would likely be far greater than the risk of ill motivated behaviour. . My contact with him is little, but sufficient not to be surprised if the board take the same view.

I see “gardening leave” as standard practice usually only when there is a danger of “poaching” customers, clients or contacts.
Affable as I’ve usually found him, he could never persuade me to become a Gashead! :wave: nor would I see him trying :scarf: