GK situation. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

GK situation.

Jul 12, 2016
Letheren is a good keeper and I don't understand the unfair criticism.He has always done his best when called upon

Sep 17, 2017
Jamie Pedlar":1und5xrp said:
If letheren is first choice we're in for a rough season, he's fine as an emergency stop gap back up, but his kicking is poor, he isn't particularly great under crosses and his shot stopping isn't as good as anyone else we've had in goal this year. yes he can fill in for the odd couple of games if required but a first choice keeper is a necessity for next year.

Utter rubbish!!

Before he got his injury there were many in the Devonport End questioning if Luke would get back in because KL was in such good form,

I accept when he came back after a long injury there was some evident rustiness, that’s understandable.

You will find it hard to find a better keeper that’s available.

Jan 27, 2012
The difference in quality between Letheren and Matthews was very plain to see last season. I view Letheren as an emergency stand-in who might get challenged by Cooper as second choice. If it were possible to get Matthews back it would be fantastic- but, if not, Argyle need a keeper of similar ability.

Jan 26, 2012
PilgrimZ1R":1vtz39wm said:
Jamie Pedlar":1vtz39wm said:
If letheren is first choice we're in for a rough season, he's fine as an emergency stop gap back up, but his kicking is poor, he isn't particularly great under crosses and his shot stopping isn't as good as anyone else we've had in goal this year. yes he can fill in for the odd couple of games if required but a first choice keeper is a necessity for next year.

Utter rubbish!!

Before he got his injury there were many in the Devonport End questioning if Luke would get back in because KL was in such good form,

I accept when he came back after a long injury there was some evident rustiness, that’s understandable.

You will find it hard to find a better keeper that’s available.
So you wouldn't rather have Matthews or Roos in Goal?

The way i see it in my opinion is that Letheren (as he did this year) is a stop gap back-up keeper, i'd be extremely surprised if he starts the season as argyle's first choice. His kicking is for me particularly poor, admittedly not helped by the lack of Taylor to aim for in some games, but the number of times a kick drifted off towards Lameiras said it all, distribution is particularly important in this argyle team, with only really taylor to aim for it has to be spot on and i don't feel like it is.

Sep 17, 2017
Look they all have differing qualities but most of the criticism being put on KL in unfair and imo wrong,

Roos is a journey man who’s spent his career going out on loans he played 4 games for us, not a lot to go is it ?

Matthews was very good but he had his frailties, kicking could be wayward, punches the ball from crosses more than he should, had some very dodgy moments Home and away but answer your question directly,

I would have KL over Roos and Luke all day everyday,

I would be happy to have either Matthews or Letheren as number one, I think on their best they’re equally as good,

So seeing we have offered KL a contract I hope he takes it and is our number 1, no need to look any further.

Jan 26, 2012
Letheren a goalkeeper who has made 7 appearances for Argyle, only 3 more than Roos, who is also 30 years old and has only just over 100 appearances in his entire career (75 of those across 2 clubs) that screams Journeyman to me.

You say no need to look for a keeper, we have a 30 year old journeyman with 7 appearances all as second and in some cases third choice due to our injury problems this year, and a yet unproven teenager who may or may not prove to be the future.

I would imagine starred ad circled at the top of Adams signing list is a keeper for next year, seeing as he always tends to have 3 on the books, it would be naive and dare i say it foolish to think he won't be looking for a keeper as first choice.

As i understand it the game is about opinions, but for me if argyle want to match or better this season we will need a keeper with either a lot of potential on loan (like a Matthews) or an experienced one (like McCormick) but i can't see us relying on a 30 year old with 100 career appearances, who never at any point was first choice this year, to progress us up the table.

Aug 10, 2006
jimsing":30jt4zyl said:
Whoever comes in should be in a fight for top spot with Letheren, Cooper will need a bit more experience, although he did a cracking job when called on against Birmingham. There is potential there, he needs to be patient, no good pushing him too quick, too soon. A bad mistake or two in the first team could ruin him forever.
and where and how does cooper get that experience ? stick him in he's good enough.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that Cooper has the potential to be our first choice keeper in 2 to 3 years. Bear in mind that he was a second year apprentice until this year and most keepers take a while to learn the dark arts against seasoned pros.

We have really not seen enough of Letheren or Roos to be satisfied that they have all the attributes needed for League 1. I think the jury’s out on Letheren.

Even Matthews has a lot to learn but he showed enough potential to suggest that he could be one of DA’s targets if available.

I was surprised and disappointed that Luke was not offered another 12 months as I am not sure that his form had deteriorated to the extent that some on here feel. The timing of his injury was unfortunate because our form improved soon after he was sidelined.

Aug 5, 2016
PilgrimZ1R":ngk4dcqf said:
rsp4":ngk4dcqf said:
r4h4al":ngk4dcqf said:
Penmaster":ngk4dcqf said:
I see absolutely no sense in releasing Luke to then have Letheran as out number one, that would be a definite backward step.

Kind of agree. I don't really understand why Luke left.

He left because he didnt want to sign a contract for what was on offer.

And he’s not as good as Letheren, the fact that DA has offered Letheren a contract is proof.

The only thing it is proof of is Letheren is value for money where Luke was confident of getting better offers elsewhere.

To put it bluntly, Letheren is cheap. Luke had the option to stay on small wages, but preferred to stay market value and move house.

The whole situation is more complicated than Letheren being better than Luke because he'll be here next season. Mike Cooper will be too.

Jan 30, 2017
Letheren is a career backup. He has rarely spent time as the #1 at a club, and if he has, it has tended to be at a level below ours.

I'd be surprised if he got a better offer elsewhere. He's done an outstanding job in the role required of him, but honestly, I'd rather blood Coops as a #2, even a #1, and accept the mistakes of his inexperience than plough game time into Letheren.

That said, my suspicion is that Adams will line up a new #1, possibly on a season loan, and then Letheren will be backup, with Cooper phasing him out and replacing him on the bench.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I'm not convinced Letheren will be here. He published a highlights video of himself a month or so back and it looked like he was trying to get his name out there and get a new club. It wasn't just a 'look at what I've done this season' type of thing as there was footage of him playing for other clubs too.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
loyal1970":2rlx692z said:
jimsing":2rlx692z said:
Whoever comes in should be in a fight for top spot with Letheren, Cooper will need a bit more experience, although he did a cracking job when called on against Birmingham. There is potential there, he needs to be patient, no good pushing him too quick, too soon. A bad mistake or two in the first team could ruin him forever.
and where and how does cooper get that experience ? stick him in he's good enough.

In my opinion he IS good enough. BUT after a new keeper is signed obviously the new keeper will play.

Apr 30, 2011
Biggs":1y53zumt said:
Penmaster":1y53zumt said:
I see absolutely no sense in releasing Luke to then have Letheran as out number one, that would be a definite backward step.

What makes you think that’s the plan? Because I’d say Letheren 99.9% isn’t Adams’ No 1.

I was responding to the previous two posts suggesting that KL would be an acceptable number 1.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Penmaster":3nb8beni said:
Biggs":3nb8beni said:
Penmaster":3nb8beni said:

What makes you think that’s the plan? Because I’d say Letheren 99.9% isn’t Adams’ No 1.

I was responding to the previous two posts suggesting that KL would be an acceptable number 1.

Yeah I think he was a bit rusty when he came back from an injury but I get the feeling if he was number one he could improve a lot and get better and better and become a favourite. We will see what Derek decides to do for next season.