New deals for Derek and the team | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New deals for Derek and the team

C

Charles Plym

Good news , won't stop the moaners clamouring for his head after the first defeat of the season though .

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
dunlop":3qor0qzk said:
God news I thought Ipswich would have been in for him.

Same.

Similar sort of stability and potential chairman relationship, but at a higher level and chance to follow in Bobby Robson and Alf Ramsey’s footsteps.

Woops, hope he’s not reading this and changes his mind...

May 16, 2016
HC Green":105f8njq said:
Ave_IT":105f8njq said:
I think Argyle are a great fit for DA’s personality because….. a) He is a control freak but here he is given a budget and then left to get on with it with no interference at all from above ……b) he knows he will be given time & backing if things don’t go well (if he doubted it before then last season proved that)……. c) Here he is more than ‘coach’ and in many ways more than just a football manager – he is more like a ‘project manager’ who has his say all aspects of the club’s development ….. d) He knows there is plenty of potential for development on and off the pitch, so he can claim (quite rightly) the transformation of a club not just the assembly of a winning team.

If you look around the football world there really aren’t many clubs who tick those boxes as I’m sure he well knows. Maybe I’m being naïve but I don’t think it will be money or glamour that will entice him to leave but only the prospect of another ‘project’ to build something bigger when he feels he’s taken us as far as he can…….. or he’ll quit over a point of principle. Hopefully neither will happen for a long time yet.

I agree with that, at the time of Adams reaching 1,000 days in charge he was quoted as saying, ‘the Chairman lets me run the football club exactly as I see fit’.

Yes. This new deal for DA might be an improved salary rather than extension. Guess we'll find out in good time.

However, what might be a factor in these negotiations and Derek's willingness to stay is, just as you say, the ability to run the Club as he sees fit.

Maybe the chance of building a Legacy and creating an Institution is worth far more than a couple of years better pay elsewhere. 'Becoming' Argyle rather than just being a 'Part of it' maybe ?

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Can’t really see how it’s good news for the City. ?

Looking back, Sturrock v1 renegotiated a new contract which made it far easier for him to leave, so it is difficult to be excited in the absence of details.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Ave_IT":323wq33h said:
I think Argyle are a great fit for DA’s personality because….. a) He is a control freak but here he is given a budget and then left to get on with it with no interference at all from above ……b) he knows he will be given time & backing if things don’t go well (if he doubted it before then last season proved that)……. c) Here he is more than ‘coach’ and in many ways more than just a football manager – he is more like a ‘project manager’ who has his say all aspects of the club’s development ….. d) He knows there is plenty of potential for development on and off the pitch, so he can claim (quite rightly) the transformation of a club not just the assembly of a winning team.

If you look around the football world there really aren’t many clubs who tick those boxes as I’m sure he well knows. Maybe I’m being naïve but I don’t think it will be money or glamour that will entice him to leave but only the prospect of another ‘project’ to build something bigger when he feels he’s taken us as far as he can…….. or he’ll quit over a point of principle. Hopefully neither will happen for a long time yet.

A good post

There are not many clubs bigger than Argyle who allow the manager to have total control without any meddling from directors. I know JB is a big believer in allowing managers in any department to manage.

May 3, 2017
Derek is building something special at Argyle and he’s got unfinished business. It’s a long term project for him and job security and stability is everything right now. I’m delighted for the rest of the coaching team too, particularly Wotton, as hes got such a strong affinity with the club. Exciting time ahead.

Mar 17, 2018
Plymouth
7 years at Ross County (with a 6 month break in the 10/11 season) suggests that he likes to take a long-term view and stick around to get the job done?

A

andyr1963

The best signing Argyle have made since he signed the last contract. Great news. :scarf:

The Green Messiah is going to take us to the Premiership. :scarf:

Where's my "green tints" :greensmile:

Jan 27, 2012
Gary Rowett signed a long term contract at Derby a few months ago- now he’s off to Stoke. Let’s hope Adams didn’t just sign for a pay rise. I think that, with proper financial backing, he can really make a name for himself here.

Mar 17, 2018
Plymouth
gaspargomez":2v9sc9ph said:
Gary Rowett signed a long term contract at Derby a few months ago- now he’s off to Stoke. Let’s hope Adams didn’t just sign for a pay rise. I think that, with proper financial backing, he can really make a name for himself here.
But that will be Gary Rowett's 4th team in 6 seasons - DA is only on his 2nd team in a much longer period. Maybe it's not all about the money (fingers crossed). Totally agree that he's all set to make a name for himself here, already made a good start!

May 8, 2011
GoGoGreen":3qmkdg9h said:
gaspargomez":3qmkdg9h said:
But that will be Gary Rowett's 4th team in 6 seasons - DA is only on his 2nd team in a much longer period. Maybe it's not all about the money (fingers crossed). Totally agree that he's all set to make a name for himself here, already made a good start!

The owner of Derby has already indicated that next year’s budget will be lower and cuts will have to be made. Stoke’s budget will be much larger due to the parachute payment. Rowlett can see which is the better bet for a successful season next year.