Brief synopsis

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Another league game and another penalty plus a red card. Is it 2017 all over again?

The game hinged on reckless decisions by Carey and Ness, two experienced players who let us down.
Ness picked up a silly yellow card in the first half for trying to stop a player running through and in the second half another stupid yellow for handball.
Carey gave away a needless penalty by lunging into a tackle and the ref pointed to the spot after a long think about it, although it seemed one of the linesmen who were furthest away gave it. Macey guessed the right way but couldn't prevent Coventry scoring.

Just like the start of last season we lost our heads again.

And so onto the ref. What an awful performance, you put your faith in officials and I rarely criticise refs but Darren Drysdale had a shocker, we should have had at least two penalties but nothing given.

We played better with 10 men and were camped in the Coventry half for the majority of the time that we were depleted in numbers. The sad thing is that Coventry are a poor team and we should have beaten them, if only Ness and Carey were not so reckless.

Taylor came on and promptly got injured, he carried on but his glass ankle is becoming a problem.

Carey slightly redeemed himself when we were reduced to 10 men by having a very influential game in the centre of midfield.

The two full backs were fantastic, both have so much energy to get up and down the pitch.
The long balls to Ladapo didn't work in the first half but Taylor showed how it should be done in the second half.

We started the game slowly and grew into it, the funny thing is was that our best spell of pressure was when we were down to 10 men.

With a better ref and Carey and Ness keeping their heads we would have won this.

Three captains - Ness,Carey and Fox.

We haven't conceded from open play during the three league games and we haven't scored from open play either.

Man of the Match. Moore.

Macey 7, Moore 8, Wootton 6, Canavan 6, Smith-Brown 7, Songo'o 6, Ness 4, C Grant 5, Carey 6, J Grant 5, Ladapo 6. Subs Taylor 7, Fox 6, Lameiras 6.

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
Thanks for the review, a good read but alightly worrying as the comparrisons to the start of last season seem to be played out in similar fashion. How bad did Taylor look when he got injured?

Sep 6, 2006
Wondered how long it would be before the ref came up. Last week according to someone we should have had 4 penalties this week at least 2. Must be unluckiest team in The country.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Looking at the reviews seems Carey maybe due some time on the bench appears he is not playing well
When Carey doesn't perform argyle don't perform

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Please lets not starting to blame the ref every week for inept performances :facepalm:

We were beaten by yet another poor team which kind of puts things into perspective

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
My third league game of the season, and I blame the ref. Looked to me like a stonewall pen for Taylor being taken down and I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES that was not given. Maybe seeing it on the box later will change my mind.

No attacking pace from us for most of the game.

Did anyone else think Lapado had a thigh problem early on ?

Great turn out from the Green Army, and now I know what twenty one thousand empty sky blue seats looks like. Wow.

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
ghost of hughie reed":3sa8vyqa said:
My third league game of the season, and I blame the ref. Looked to me like a stonewall pen for Taylor being taken down and I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES that was not given. Maybe seeing it on the box later will change my mind.

No attacking pace from us for most of the game.

Did anyone else think Lapado had a thigh problem early on ?

Great turn out from the Green Army, and now I know what twenty one thousand empty sky blue seats looks like. Wow.

Im sure where Sam was sat it was not a penalty.

Mar 14, 2009
It did appear we played better with 10 men.

I just think we need to find a system that can get us on the front foot a bit more.

May 3, 2017
Thought we played better with 10 men strangely and should probably have got a point. We seem to be our own worst enemy at the moment with sloppy mistakes. Yes the referee was poor but our midfield doesn’t look right at the moment. We need more from Ness and Grant and start producing better quality in the final 3rd. A fully fit Sarcevic is much needed for more strength and muscle in the team. Thought the 2 fullbacks played very well especially Moore who looks a great find by DA. No great worries for me, things aren’t quite clicking at the moment but it’s only a matter of time.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Referees are always a good excuse when you lose.Back down to earth today....

Nov 9, 2008
We were far better with Lameiras linking between the midfield and the striker. First half we had no link there at all. I'd like to see Fox and Carey as a two playing behind J Grant, Ladapo and Lameiras with Taylor up front.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
After 45 mins I was worried that it could be a long season. But despite the result, the 2nd half buoyed me, with what we might be capable of. We were so much better in the 2nd half it cannot be measured, but for a silly red we would have surely got something from the game.
Both full backs were excellent, my one minor criticism being of Ashley, who occasionally has be braver with the ball and go at the opposing full back, safe is good as he nearly always retains possession but every now and then you have to go at the defender.
I thought Scott Wotton was excellent and rarely troubled, we haven't conceded from open play yet, which must be a positive. Although what Carey was thinking of Christ only knows, similar to his red card last year where he made his mind up 10 yards before getting there that he was going to lunge in. He was already having a running battle with the ref and gave him all the excuse he needed to have the final say.
Taylor and Ruben both showed what we missing in the first half, Ruben busy and willing to run at players and RT was just clever and winning more than his share.
As for the ref.....its tough, if you blame him you are seen as one eyed, I think the technical term for what I witnessed is "homer" - it was a penalty to Coventry for me, I dare say the red card for Ness was probably right, but some others should have gone our way and didn't. Ironic that if the linesman did give the Cov penalty, that he failed to see their centre back trying to swap shirts with Ryan Taylor as a cross was heading towards him. Away from home, all over the world in professional football, away teams do not get 50% of the 50/50's its happened since I began watching football and goes on today regularly, however I struggle to remember a game where an away side didn't get one 50/50 in their favour. If Argyle transgressed the cards were free flowing, the Cov left back must have had three final warnings for time wasting but was spared any punishment, having met with three Cov fans after the game, they all thought the Taylor yellow was ridiculous and all three thought it was a penalty, sadly my angle wasn't good enough to pass judgement, I will leave that to others.
Frustrating - Yes
Hard done by - Very probably
Fingers crossed for our own homer next week.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
You can`t win the league after 3 games and conversely you can`t get relegated either.

Alf, you have become all bitter and twisted, not the man I knew.

Jan 28, 2011
SHROPSHIRE
Improvement on last saturday, although the lack of urgency & turn of pace worrying , as Coventry were there for the taking. Macey mom for me and both full backs have great potential. Great effort from greenarmy , poor performance by ref although agreed with penalty as Carey dived in