OK, if he goes..who next? | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

OK, if he goes..who next?

Aug 13, 2011
Laido":1b8nloqu said:
Bearing in mind he hasn't walked, been given the boot/given the vote of confidence! Who would you want to take over a club with limited or no budget?
Implications for him leaving..players he's bought in would also jump ship..see where its going? So re-structure the team, re-motivate the team!
Who is out there that could turn this ship around and moving in the right direction...?

Genuine question..what are your thoughts?

Would you have Holloway back?
Who is currently out of a job and would fit the bill as a motivational/inspiring manager?

The past 16 games don't tell lies..2 wins in that sequence isn't good enough..

Wo wo wo!!! Yes Hollway certainly a class act but do you seriously think this Board will pay off the rest of Adam's contract and support a manager that would demand a high wage. This will not happen. We would end up with Wotsie or Kevin Hodges and though I have every respect for these guys we would also leak our best players to Adams , Carey etc, I can see us back to square one! Fighting for football league status

999mattyg":jnjzhqdm said:
Speculating about who would replace DA is pointless! The board will stick by him. For one reason, I don't think they can afford to sack him and secondly his overall record is very good.
The football this season, and pre season, has not been good. We lost good players at the end of last season which have not been adequately replaced.
DA has gambled with recruitment for this season and it has back fired. Combined with the loss of Taylor circumstances have conspired against him. He may be a little rigid in his approach but I still think he can turn it around. His record speaks for itself (name someone with a better one that the club could afford?). This is a trough in a generally rising career and a manager doesn't just become a bad manager in a few months. I totally get the frustration and anger at the performances, I've been one of the angry supporters but I just don't believe that sacking Adams will achieve anything other than appeasing the lynch mob!

Spot on.

Apr 5, 2008
But any other club would have sacked their manager with the same set of results.

Because its Plymouth argyle the supporters can just put up with it,that's the message that seems to be coming out of the board room.Can you honestly see us doing what we did last season.

Even if somehow we are one point better off than last season at the same time,don't win any of the next two games,then that should be end of it fir the manager

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
There’s the argument again... any other club would have sacked their manager.

Who cares?? Football clubs are generally pretty badly run, and on a short term basis. The poster above said this was a trough, and on the available Derek Adams evidence we can reasonably assume there will be a peak to come.

And we don’t HAVE to do the same as last season, we’re 4 points off safety with 33 games to go. We have to be average to survive, we don’t have to be amazing.

Nov 10, 2008
cambridgeshire
MR Biggs,read a lot of your posts but that sentance ,we only got to be average to survive is sad. That your happy to see your team possibly win a few games a season,serving up terrible football but survive, is a very weak reason for me and the wife to travel up,buy season tickets and waste time if that is all we can expect.

Aug 13, 2011
I think he can turn it around from January, when he shores up the defence with loan players. It's true replacements weren't anywhere near the standard we let go. Whether it's too late or not only time will tell. The defending at Oxford was pathetic on both goals and other situations. A horrendous error by Edwards, really a horror one that to let it roll under his foot when the immediate need there was get rid. And not for the first time this season a statuesque defence for the second. We ''made'' them work that goal like Barcelona, backed off and let them walk it in, didn't mark, didn't tackle. Te lack of defending ability is obviously the over-riding issue and while that presents so many difficulties the attack is being overlooked somewhat. I don't even think it's defensive cohesiveness, it's the fact that individuals are just not good enough. That's the worry. Ladapo for me never looks composed in front of goal and his goals to games ration is not good. Taylor being ruled out is crucial to our effectiveness at that end. But through it all, we really don't have managerial options that people are bandying about. We have to suffer and see.

Aug 13, 2011
gariboldi":g2oporkc said:
I think he can turn it around from January, when he shores up the defence with loan players. It's true replacements weren't anywhere near the standard we let go. Whether it's too late or not only time will tell. The defending at Oxford was pathetic on both goals and other situations. A horrendous error by Edwards, really a horror one that to let it roll under his foot when the immediate need there was get rid. And not for the first time this season a statuesque defence for the second. We ''made'' them work that goal like Barcelona, backed off and let them walk it in, didn't mark, didn't tackle. The lack of defending ability is obviously the over-riding issue and while that presents so many difficulties the attack is being overlooked somewhat. I don't even think it's defensive cohesiveness, it's the fact that individuals are just not good enough. That's the worry. Ladapo for me never looks composed in front of goal and his goals to games ratio is not good. Taylor being ruled out is crucial to our effectiveness at that end. But through it all, we really don't have managerial options that people are bandying about. We have to suffer and see.

Mar 8, 2016
Biggs":1831tbgt said:
There’s the argument again... any other club would have sacked their manager.

Who cares?? Football clubs are generally pretty badly run, and on a short term basis. The poster above said this was a trough, and on the available Derek Adams evidence we can reasonably assume there will be a peak to come.

And we don’t HAVE to do the same as last season, we’re 4 points off safety with 33 games to go. We have to be average to survive, we don’t have to be amazing.

I get that, but we’re not average biggs, we're poo.

Mar 14, 2009
I understand when you been behind Adams its hard to accept that actually he isnt as good manager as your judgement thought he was but unfortuately its got to the situation, performances and results that defending him now is just indefendencable.

So your next arguement is there is nobody out there who can do a better job. Well quite frankly every week we are seeing our team destroyed in defence, our midfield remain imbalanced and upfront we are completely toothless. Performances range from dire to abysmal.

The new manager wouldnt have to do much to improve things.

To say there is nobody better out there is laughable. The only reason l dont think Adams should go has been his football is pragmatic enough to just about get us out of this mess. However, whether we survive or not this season, he should go as watching another season of this brand of football is beyond comprehension.

So alternatives? One is Newport Countys Micheal Flynn. Done a very good job since being at that football club. Since we played them in the fa cup replay they escaped relegation that year under him which seemed almost impossible and are now finding themselves to be a top 3 club in league two.

When people suggest Stan Ternent...it makes a mockery of this discussion as there is someone who hasnt been on anyones lips since 2008 when he last managed Huddersfield. And everyone always goes backwards thinking it great to get in someone like Holloway. We've been there and done that. Its time to move on from the past and time to hand over the reigns to somebody hungry, motivated but likes to play a brand of football that will enject some life n soul back into our football club.

Jun 7, 2006
To turn that back four into a solid unit that can pass the ball out from the back would require the footballing equivalent of the philosopher's stone. They will leak goals every game and the system we play will continue to leave them exposed as it relies on quality ball playing defenders. DA will not change his formation or style. I doubt that another manager can change our fortunes before the January transfer window but I would like to see one try. At the very least the re-building process can begin.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I was interested to read in the paper this morning that the Luton Town manager Nathan Jones is being suggested as a possible appointment for Brentford after their manager left for Aston Villa. That's the Nathan Jones who was a highly regarded young coach at Brighton who (I think) we turned down in favour of appointing Derek Adams...

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
The Doctor":tk1r9sz1 said:
I was interested to read in the paper this morning that the Luton Town manager Nathan Jones is being suggested as a possible appointment for Brentford after their manager left for Aston Villa. That's the Nathan Jones who was a highly regarded young coach at Brighton who (I think) we turned down in favour of appointing Derek Adams...

Correct

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
gariboldi":4xfp0cg5 said:
Laido":4xfp0cg5 said:
Bearing in mind he hasn't walked, been given the boot/given the vote of confidence! Who would you want to take over a club with limited or no budget?
Implications for him leaving..players he's bought in would also jump ship..see where its going? So re-structure the team, re-motivate the team!
Who is out there that could turn this ship around and moving in the right direction...?

Genuine question..what are your thoughts?

Would you have Holloway back?
Who is currently out of a job and would fit the bill as a motivational/inspiring manager?

The past 16 games don't tell lies..2 wins in that sequence isn't good enough..

Wo wo wo!!! Yes Hollway certainly a class act but do you seriously think this Board will pay off the rest of Adam's contract and support a manager that would demand a high wage. This will not happen. We would end up with Wotsie or Kevin Hodges and though I have every respect for these guys we would also leak our best players to Adams , Carey etc, I can see us back to square one! Fighting for football league status

I’m pretty sure we could afford Ian Holloway if we wanted him and he wanted us.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
cornishbob":1rwrndn8 said:
MR Biggs,read a lot of your posts but that sentance ,we only got to be average to survive is sad. That your happy to see your team possibly win a few games a season,serving up terrible football but survive, is a very weak reason for me and the wife to travel up,buy season tickets and waste time if that is all we can expect.

I agree , I don’t think we should just be surviving in L1. We should be mid table, anything above that is punching above our weight.

May 16, 2016
The Doctor":3fc4sbs8 said:

Weren't we once linked to Brendan Rodgers ? Managerial appointments must be full of Sliding Door moments. The right man at the right place and time etc. I've often thought that management must have its 'Jason Banton' patches. Paul Sturrock immediately after leaving the first time being a classic example.