Brief Synopsis | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":2ryf4w7x said:
The attendance tonight was higher than Saturday's attendance, by some distance, which is rare for a Tuesday game. It must have been the free tickets for under 12s.

Yes although when it was announced I thought it was child cruelty.

Nov 2, 2004
No it was a really good general turnout,the child section was not very populated.Contrary to the doom mongers the fans turned out in good numbers.

Dec 3, 2005
What happened there?
Was that Argyle?
Yes five changes from Saturday, but the difference was amazing. Players wanting the ball, chasing it down, running into space, passing quickly, accurate passing, making chances, tackling, winning the ball, keeping the ball, playing forward, passing to feet, I am in shock. Well taken goals, where did it all come from?
Is there a conspiracy, that we want go be bottom of the league in October, that we don't want to be promoted, so we won't try and win the first 14 games, but after that we will take the league by storm, just like last season. If we get too close to the playoffs, we can revert back to our losing ways, just like last season. LOL
The difference in 3 days is amazing, long may it continue, but it does make you think, why such bad starts to the last two seasons, when the team can play like that.
Yes there will be stronger teams to play, but wow, well done, keep it up. :)

Sep 6, 2006
Has to be better than watching Moan United get outplayed by Juve. Even if we lose again on Saturday surely the message from that performance is we DO have the players to get us out of this mess.

Jul 3, 2013
I don’t quite understand why Macey has been given ratings of 6! His distribution and kicking was good, his handling and commanding of the box was excellent and he had no chance with the goal.

Canavan done as good a job I have seen in a while keeping the long fella up front quiet, Sarcevic offered us an extra dimension going forward due to the way Fox and Ness used the ball and Grant on the left was outstanding also.
I am not sure on Moore yet, he is very raw, his positioning and decisions are decent but the execution was pretty poor, confidence and good coaching could make him decent. He was today the only player I would say looked out of place a bit.

Some our build up play and the goals we are scoring are as good as I have seen in many seasons, hopefully the defensive side of things can continue like today and keep improving.

Sep 25, 2010
PL2 3DQ":2egj682y said:
The attendance tonight was higher than Saturday's attendance, by some distance, which is rare for a Tuesday game. It must have been the free tickets for under 12s.

I may be mistaken, but the crowd looked lower than Saturday, but to announce is was about, 600 higher, seemed odd.

Jan 4, 2011
Great game tonight. Finally looked like a team. Reminded me of the Tuesday night game against Northampton in November last year which was the first confident display I saw from the team after last years very poor run.
Hopefully history will repeat, although at the moment mid table and a team to build on next season would be great - without starting again with too many new faces each year.

Dec 3, 2005
Martyn":g51uu350 said:
PL2 3DQ":g51uu350 said:

I may be mistaken, but the crowd looked lower than Saturday, but to announce is was about, 600 higher, seemed odd.

the 50/50 was only in the £400;s tonight - usually up in the £700 to £800 :)

Perhaps the yobbos need to tell DA to eff off more often. Maybe it was really all part of a cunning plan?
If it was it seems to have worked.
What a turnaround. Who was that stylish football team i watched winning tonight? Couldnt have been that crappy PAFC,
surely not. Ouch! Ouch! Pinching myself.......Blimey. It was.
Lots and lots of positives at last to give all of us loveable argyles something to believe in, looking forward.
Five changes to the team from saturday made by the gaffer.
In came yanner, niall canavan, conor grant, nessie and joel grant.
Foxy, nessie and sarce(MOM again) all reunited again in the centre mid area with nessies return.
All had outstanding games especially sarce who seemed to be everywhere in the no 10 role.
Yanner and niall canavan, yet another different CB partnership, but this time looking much more effective.
I thought both did well in dealing with the eaves threat. Yanner especially impressing. Both much more comfortable
on the ball too. Still early days to judge though as the gills offered little threat apart from hoofing at eaves.
Same with the surprise choice of conor grant at LB. He had a very good game and again looked a good footballer.
Though the gills didnt really try to get at us down the flanks so its too early to see if he could become another
like leigh cooper. Who successfully changed roles from CM to LB for argyle many moons ago under the genial ciderman.
Joel grant was the 5th change made returning on the left and with GC10 on the right both worked hard both attacking
and defending. Indeed the whole team was right up for it and gave everything.

A 4231 for argyle and for the first time this season we had proper control of a game. Especially the first half.
The centre mid triplets dominating. Foxy, nessie and sarce. Keep these three fit and we will be ok this season.
Some wonderful one touch football at times. 2 brilliant goals by big fred. Have we now finally found ourselves a
proper goalscorer again? Looks like it to me and he has that blistering pace ontop too.
Very encouraging performance again from him, carrying on from saturday.
So 2-0 at HT and fully deserved. The players and staff walking off to a standing ovation.
Second half the gills pressed high with their 41212 with us playing more on the counter. We still looked the more
likely to score again but the final ball was letting us down when in promising positions.
Finally rueben scored a fine individual goal after coming on for GC10. It was no more than we deserved.
The gills pulled one back with a shot from distance after an argyle headed clearance, which was really the
only negative for us tonight. Not quite managing a clean sheet. So the final score 3-1.
Standing ovation again for team, staff and manager.

Off the bottom too so yet another positive. So onto scunny next. Fingers crossed tonight was the gamechanger.
Tbh it felt like it. We shall see.
As for yobs and families. Ive had enough of em.
lets get back to talking argyle footie again.
Geddon the argyle boys. :scarf:

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Enjoyed that! Finally DA plays the midfield three we know works - OK there have been some injuries but there have been times when he could've played them but chose not to. No one but he knows why. C Grant was indeed a revelation at LB. Let's hope he makes that position his own. Less hoofball, Freddie coming back deeper to collect the ball and more movement all round. It's really not rocket science. Gills were poor, they didn't close us down and played like we did in the second half at Oxford. Still, you can only beat the team in front of you. If this is indeed the turning point, please let's not go through a third season like this. Scunny will be a sterner test. For me the jury on DA is still very much out.

Mar 14, 2009
:party: :party: :party: There’s a new left back in town.

I loved that performance. For many different reasons.

We closed Gillingham down at times and won the ball. Ness in particular caught my eye because after he won the ball he often drive forward with it.

Freddie Ladapo’s finishing is starting to make me think that there is a player there bursting to get out. I mean tonight’s first goal was just loverly. He knew what he was going to do with it and buried it beautifully. The second was a header that was all bout being in the right place, at the right time. He does seem to tire a little in the second half of games but hopefully his endurance will build to a point that he makes him a even better prospect.

However, tonight was all about Conor Grant. He was absolutely enjoyable to watch. For a number of reasons. His distribution from left back was immense. I can’t think of many times he gave the ball away. That was even when he came under pressure from opposition players. He was always comfortable on the ball. He moved forward well from deep postions. He could see the play in front of him. Had players moving in front of him. This is why he looked good because he was in a deep position with movement ahead of him. That’s why the LM postion didn’t work for him. He was expected to do things from more advanced postions but that’s not his game. He needs to use his vision. He needs players running ahead of him to create pockets of space he can get into. Even his defending tonight was assured. I love it. It was a classy performance from a guy who has the talent but needs to be put in a place where his attributes work.

Speaking of which. Moore. Yes he dwindles on the ball but the guy has talent. Bare with him. I think this guy is gonna be special. At the moment he is being targeted l feel. Lots of cross field balls coming his way tonight as Gillingham try to take advantage of his height and inexperience. And l’ve been very critical of a couple of his displays. Especially his part in the goal at Oxford which l thought was diabolical. Having said this l watch him and think this guy has talent.

Argyle had width tonight. Two pairs that combined well. The two Grants on the left were looking really assured. On the right you had Carey and Moore. Don’t know how many time Moore bombed past Carey on the outside, allowing him to cut inside, without receiving an easy overlapping pass. However, what it meant is that Fox had options either on the right or left. It made Argyles attacking play more dynamic.

Sarcevic wasted some opportunities but l still maintain he gets better with games. He has now played a few and l do feel tonight he got into the game well, if choosing the wrong execution of some occasions.

Why can’t we play football like this more often? If we played like this l wouldn’t care win, lose or draw because it was enjoyable. In the second half we carried on the good football. We just seem to run out of steam midway through the second half but Lameiras goal was all a thing of beauty. A piece of skill just when we needed it.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Well, that should get the monkey off Lapado's back!!

Jan 6, 2004
Good performance but let’s not get carried away - gillingham in the first half were as bad as we were at Oxford in the second half -just kept giving us back the ball. Let’s see if this new line up is the real deal over the coming weeks.

Mar 4, 2008
Plymouth
Much better tonight, no doubt the best performance of the season.

Edwards should have been dropped after the Oxford game and probably before that had injuries allowed for, Canavan and Songo'o did what was needed and looked much more solid than any of our previous defensive incarnations.

Grant was a revelation at LB.

Sarcevic almost back to the form of last year, still sloppy at times but it'll come.

Fox & Ness dominated midfield.

Much happier with the team shape and balance although can still be narrow at times.

Onwards and upwards (fingers crossed).

Feb 2, 2007
One thing that really stood out in the pattern of play was how far forward Moore and C Grant got within the first 10 minutes. First time I've seen our full backs advanced or overlapping since Wycombe that early in the game..football is a simple game sometimes and those little clues reveal the attacking intent.

Well done Cobi and a few others for identifying ASB as the weakest link. I know Oxford fans weren't too impressed last season - hopefully he will mature but we looked a lot more balanced last night. Sawyer is a good defender and may be the better option away but we need to look beyond him now.