Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed) | Page 78 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Lowe in talks with Argyle (Confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
I was excited for Lowe, but after snubbing live on air, it says it all about what little class he has. No thank you.

In the second poll run I voted for Mike Flynn, and remain excited by his potential. Would be happy with him as an appointment.

leeroy221

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
May 10, 2015
X Isle":1a2jb2rd said:
Costusdear":1a2jb2rd said:
Out of his own mouth ā€˜ no where near done ā€˜ hope this helps
Well there you have it...

1) 'It'll be announced tomorrow (Friday) or Saturday'

Confirmed as wrong.

2) "Done deal"

Confirmed as wrong too.

It's 'Nathan Jones' all over again.

Right i've tiptoed around the edges of feeling this for a good while but this does it for me now, whether he comes here or not. I don't want him.

We need the club to have a figurehead, a loyal leader who oozes enthusiasm for us and inspires loyalty and passion in others, not just the playing staff but the whole club and the fans.

Don't get me wrong, he has those qualities... trouble is he has them for another club, not Argyle. Our club should be no-one's insurance policy, no-ones backstop, it should be someone's passion.

By all accounts he's been down, he's seen what is on offer, what is being built both literally (the development) and metaphorically (the Argyle project) and still he's holding out for something else. Be it money, be it Bury, be it dilly dallying over relocating it doesn't matter. What he didn't do was say "f**k me I'm having some of that, where do I sign".

If he's the best man that the process has identified I would be worried. I suspect he's not he's just the only one we've had a public running commentary on. No more time wasting, no more hokey cokey.

Move on Simon, Argyle is bigger and better than being treated like this. Wherever he was in the pecking order, scrub his name out. Who now could possibly ever fully believe that his heart was fully in the job if he came?

Withdraw from the negotiations, thank him for his time and move on. Bring in the best candidate who rubs their hands together in glee at the prospect of being Argyle manager, who sees the potential and would walk over broken glass to grab the opportunity by the scruff of the neck. Someone who'll be in the office next week getting things started.

I still don't think he's top of the list anyway, just the leakiest in the list. But even if he was I'd sooner have someone further down the list who absolutely WANTS IT that someone who doesn't demonstrably want to grab the opportunity.

"Well it's all very nice 'n'all but you see I've got this other job with Sky this weekend and then I'm off with me bezzies in a camper van for a week. Don't call me, I'll call you like"

No thanks son, jog on

:wave:

This is exactly why i still think Ian Holloway is the perfect man for the job at exactly the right time.

May 22, 2006
I agree with something one chap said a few posts back about Holloway - odd that some are annoyed at the girlfriend who's cancelled the date, but want to reconnect with the bride who jilted us at the altar for the man with the bigger package.

Thank God we don't pick our life partners like we pick our managers.

Mar 14, 2009
I find all this strange.

People are judging him from comments from others that he has been offered the job, when we really donā€™t know.

He goes on tv, and itā€™s trial by television. What on earth did people expect him to say? His heart is obviously with the club, the staff and the players. Imagine if he said l expect to be leaving. He completely abandons the club staff, coaches and the players when itā€™s obvious they haven been through a lot as a group of players these past months. You donā€™t create bonds like these with a club he obviously has a lot of affection for and just walk away easily.

I find some of the comments really strange today. Iā€™m not saying he couldnā€™t of been more tactful today but god people like to really hit lash out just because it doesnā€™t look like things are going Argyleā€™s way.

For me, there is a bigger picture and obviously itā€™s a very complex and complicated one.

Jul 29, 2010
Liam Vercoe":26pq72ah said:
Incredibly odd that several in-the-know posters and a nationally renowned football journalist have all hinted or said that Lowe is our man or that he will very likely be our man, and yet Lowe himself comes out after 2 weeks and says he wants to be a league one manager next season.

Not doubting anyone's contacts or credentials, possibly means Lowe was playing us all along and using us as a backup.
Others said it first, i'm claiming no credit, but join the dots and shameless self promotion explains his actions. He virtually put the cherry on the icing on the cake with "I'm a league 1 manager bla bla".

I have idea who Alan Nixon is (or whatever his name is) but where is he getting his information from?... 'sources close to' in politics means straight from the bleedin' horses mouth but don't let on pal. Everything that came from him was fed his way.

As for Saturday Service and Skynet, that's easily explained. They clearly have contacts but they can't possibly be as high up as we have given credit for. On managerial appointments that's 0 for 2 from Skynet after 'Nathan Jones done deal' four years ago. (Keep it coming guys [or gals] BTW, we wouldn't want you to be wary of passing tasty snippets. The problem is with us, we need to recalibrate the weight we give to the information you pass on. It is sincere and well intentioned).

You're right, it 'could' also have been the case that the job was offered and Lowe agreed, that would explain the comments from all. But that would make him a timewaster AND a gert big pants on fire pinocchio.

Either way, jog on Ryan, you and Argyle are soooo over.

One thing everyone needs to be mindful of though, especially those worried that all the eggs were in the Ryan Lowe basket, is that the wider process has been going on quietly and diligently behind the headlines, tw**ts and rumours.

The reason it SEEMS like it's been the Ryan Lowe show is because all the other candidates have a bit of class, have a bit of discretion and have a bit of respect for Argyle and themselves. We don't know that Ryan Lowe was the number 1 candidate, all we can be sure of is he was the one that leaked and possibly exaggerated everything.

The others haven't been discussing themselves on TV and feeding tw*tter journos with their pitch to advertise themselves to other clubs. Nope, they've been quietly and respectfully engaging with the process without the need for this shameless self promotion.

We have dodged a bullet with this man, it is good this happened. We want the next Argyle manager to have a bit of class and respect about him and that's just what he's showing (whoever it is) by letting the club do its business professionally and confidentially.

We'll be OK by this process, this isn't a set back it is a lucky break.

P

PAFC Galactico

Did anyone else see a tweet the other day from Sarcevic saying letā€™s go insinuating that he had been told who the new manager is, heā€™s now deleted that tweet so I wonder if there has been a U turn from Lowe the last 24 hours.

Jul 29, 2010
Deacster":2v3eu72f said:
PlymOdi":2v3eu72f said:
So the same fans that want a manager 100% dedicated to Argyle... Want Ian Holloway?

The same Ian Holloway who did what he did to us last time...
The same Ian Holloway who has recently declared he wants to speak to Walsall about their vacancy?
The same Ian Holloway who has recently declared he wants to speak to Middlesbrough about their vacancy?

Seems a bit strange to me.
The same Ian Holloway who has expressed remorse on many occasions about how he left Argyle, at times when he was employed at a higher level and with no agenda.
Yep, that one.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Not sure he could have answered any other way on live TV other than refuse to comment which probably, given the speculation, would have insinuated he was signing.

Maybe he has done a Holloway, declared his undying love for Bury one day and leaves tomorrow. Only when the whole story is out in the open should we be able to comment.

Mar 23, 2008
Adam_R":j3br53ac said:
Not sure he could have answered any other way on live TV other than refuse to comment which probably, given the speculation, would have insinuated he was signing.

Maybe he has done a Holloway, declared his undying love for Bury one day and leaves tomorrow. Only when the whole story is out in the open should we be able to comment.
If it was likely you would imagine something along the lines of 'I love Bury and everyone at the club but we will have to see what happens' as a generic filler answer. Instead he has specifically said he doesn't want to manage at our level, that's two fingers in a verbal sense. He either doesn't want to come or is tactless, either way we don't want him.

Beyton Green

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Feb 19, 2005
davie nine":2v8eorav said:
Perhaps, PMPilgrim, Skynet and/or Saturday Service could update us on the current situation?

Any update guys?

Mark58

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Adam_R":3d1njx3x said:

If he has and he does end up at Argyle I hope he doesn't do to us what Holloway did to Leicester in his first season... ;)

Jul 29, 2010
Metal_Green_Mickey":sxphkf8s said:
I find all this strange.

People are judging him from comments from others that he has been offered the job, when we really donā€™t know.

He goes on tv, and itā€™s trial by television. What on earth did people expect him to say? His heart is obviously with the club, the staff and the players. Imagine if he said l expect to be leaving. He completely abandons the club staff, coaches and the players when itā€™s obvious they haven been through a lot as a group of players these past months. You donā€™t create bonds like these with a club he obviously has a lot of affection for and just walk away easily.

I find some of the comments really strange today. Iā€™m not saying he couldnā€™t of been more tactful today but god people like to really hit lash out just because it doesnā€™t look like things are going Argyleā€™s way.

For me, there is a bigger picture and obviously itā€™s a very complex and complicated one.
There's one very simple answer to all this 'well what could he have said' line.

Knowing it couldn't be left as an elephant in the room today, knowing he would face questions, knowing he might have to tread on eggshells re: the Bury breach of contract situation...

He could've NOT gone on TV at all.

He's not a contracted Sky employee, he's had a few days notice to allow them to get a replacement in. The tactful, discreet, dare I say classy thing to do I would argue would be to keep shctum and do his business in private.

But no, he chose to put himself in that allegedly 'tricky position', he furthermore went on to keep the self promotion bandwagon rolling forwards.

That 'what could he say' argument is not mitigation in his defence, he put himself there.

Status
Not open for further replies.