Neil Warnock | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Neil Warnock

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
His footballing philosophy doesn’t match the direction in which the club is trying to go on the field, so for that reason I don’t think it would be a great idea to have him involved in an official sense. If we were fighting at the bottom or if we had to make ourselves hard to beat, or if we were struggling to attract players, then yes, but we’re moving away from that now and therefore I don’t think his input would be valuable. I’ve also never been a fan of the ‘director of football’ role at the lower levels of the game, which is what I assume your referring to by a place on the board? Can often lead to power struggles and you never really know who is higher up the pecking order, the manager or the DOF. We have a manager, we have an assistant manager, we have an analyst, we have a physio and a head of fitness, and we have Dewsnip as an advisor, all are on the same page & I don’t think more voices would necessarily be beneficial when we’re trying to move in a specific direction.

Jan 27, 2012
Quintrell_Green":1p407ity said:
The news channels are carrying Warnock's departure from Cardiff. In any case his contract was only to the end of this current season. I cannot see him taking another managerial position at his age. I wonder if he will now get invited to join Argyle's board in view of the depth of knowledge he has of League football.

I'd give that role to Kevin Hodges if it were created.

I think Warnock would still make a good manager- I'd have him at Argyle above Lowe if I am honest. I'm pretty sure he could get the club out of League Two at the first attempt.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
gaspargomez":1hihf809 said:
I think Warnock would still make a good manager- I'd have him at Argyle above Lowe if I am honest.

I wouldn’t.

Having Warnock at the helm would be a sign of us going backward & always looking to the past, having Lowe at the helm is a sign we’re going forward and looking to the future with a long term attractive brand of football.

I’d also rather we implemented an attractive style that’ll pay dividends long term than just throw all of that out the window to desperately get promoted at the first attempt.

Jan 27, 2012
IJN":31nnjcb7 said:
He's a user always has been.

'My beloved Bluebirds' made me giggle.

People were calling him a "dinosaur" on this forum when he was linked to the Argyle vacancy.

He instead went to Cardiff and got them promoted to the Premier League. I think their fans were happy with him.

All the promotions he has achieved over the years..... I don't care if he is a "user" whatever you mean by that !
He got Argyle promoted and that will be written into history.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Warnock had previously said he would retire at the end of this season, so that's probably the end for his career now. (Although I think he's retired four or five times before so maybe not) I wouldn't rule out him joining a struggling Championship club towards the end of the season to try and keep them up, whether he would stay on after that though I don't know.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/49169556

Jan 20, 2004
Cobi Budge":cx8nggqh said:
gaspargomez":cx8nggqh said:
I think Warnock would still make a good manager- I'd have him at Argyle above Lowe if I am honest.

I wouldn’t.

Having Warnock at the helm would be a sign of us going backward & always looking to the past, having Lowe at the helm is a sign we’re going forward and looking to the future with a long term attractive brand of football.

I’d also rather we implemented an attractive style that’ll pay dividends long term than just throw all of that out the window to desperately get promoted at the first attempt.

Totally agree Cobi.

With a full set of strikers fit we are one dominant centre half away from a successful and attractive footballing side.

May 16, 2016
He'll go and do whatever suits him I'd have thought.

Therefore, expect to see him on Sky (or any other) Sports TV Channel before too long. Also, he'll be getting linked (clickbait style) to Argyle everytime he's down this way and fancies watching a game. Eventually, his attendance at an Argyle game will create about the same Managerial ripples as Paul Sturrock in the Lyndhurst does now.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Knibbsworth":3ervk4b2 said:
How many clubs has Warnock managed since Argyle over 20 years ago?

So many Argyle fans choose to believe the club is dear to him somehow.

Pretty sure it is, to be fair.

Regardless of whether he managed us or not... he lives nearby, he advised James Brent a fair bit post-admin, had/has kids in the youth set up (I think), watches a lot of our games, loaned some good players and brought teams down for friendlies, and there are several interviews he refers to Argyle as ‘we’.

Wouldn’t want him as manager, mind.

Sep 25, 2010
gaspargomez":2u5umake said:
IJN":2u5umake said:
He's a user always has been.

'My beloved Bluebirds' made me giggle.

People were calling him a "dinosaur" on this forum when he was linked to the Argyle vacancy.

He instead went to Cardiff and got them promoted to the Premier League. I think their fans were happy with him.

All the promotions he has achieved over the years..... I don't care if he is a "user" whatever you mean by that !

I was speaking to a couple of Cardiff fans, before the Newport game earlier in the season. And even they were saying he is a dinosaur, their word not mind. And couldn’t wait for him to go.

Their main gripe, was the style of football, ( very old school and boring , their words not mine).

Jan 27, 2012
I read that Warnock has won more promotions than any other manager in football league history. An all time record of 8 promotions I think it was.

He must be doing something right !!

I also seem to remember him having a very good relationship with the fans last time he was here. Warnock may spout bullpoo sometimes, but I'd rather have that than some of the miserable managers Argyle have had in the past. He brought Cardiff down to play Liskeard Athletic last season and he was great with the fans then- autographs, jokes etc. Fair play to him.

He speaks highly of Argyle in the national media, so give the fella a break.

Jan 27, 2012
Guiri Green":bgyds8gz said:
Eventually, his attendance at an Argyle game will create about the same Managerial ripples as Paul Sturrock in the Lyndhurst does now.

And I wont hear anything against Sturrock either- one of Argyle's best ever managers !

Aug 5, 2016
Biggs":1k8chjgq said:
Knibbsworth":1k8chjgq said:
How many clubs has Warnock managed since Argyle over 20 years ago?

So many Argyle fans choose to believe the club is dear to him somehow.

Pretty sure it is, to be fair.

Regardless of whether he managed us or not... he lives nearby, he advised James Brent a fair bit post-admin, had/has kids in the youth set up (I think), watches a lot of our games, loaned some good players and brought teams down for friendlies, and there are several interviews he refers to Argyle as ‘we’.

Wouldn’t want him as manager, mind.

Plenty of managers have loaned us players Biggs, Bobby Reid, Zak Vyner, Remi Matthews, Zak Rudden, Matt Macey, Joe Bryan, Arnie Garita, Jordan Houghton, Hiram Boateng, Josh Grant, Kelle Roos. Do we personally remember the managers that sent us any of those players, and say prayers for them for their generosity?

But Neil Warnock goes running to the media saying he can't wait to loan Argyle a star player, Matty Kennedy turns up and we kiss Warnock's hand for his benevolence. Then in a minor twist Kennedy is sent on loan to Portsmouth instead the following season, because as Warnock always says he loves Argyle so much. I mean, how many players has Warnock actually loaned us over the years?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
gaspargomez":27jeok36 said:

He sure did, at Wembley in the Play Offs, which is written in our history.

Drill down on that, with the money he was given, he should have done far far better.

The man is as money driven end of.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Knibbsworth":37m1orij said:
Plenty of managers have loaned us players Biggs, Bobby Reid, Zak Vyner, Remi Matthews, Zak Rudden, Matt Macey, Joe Bryan, Arnie Garita, Jordan Houghton, Hiram Boateng, Josh Grant, Kelle Roos. Do we personally remember the managers that sent us any of those players, and say prayers for them for their generosity?

Didn't really say that and didn't really suggest anyone should be saying prayers for his generosity. Just making the entirely uncontroversial point that he clearly has more than a soft spot for Argyle, as evidenced in this video where he's referring to the club as 'we'... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22164178

It's not a big deal :thumbup:

Jan 27, 2012
Why is it that people who have been successful for Argyle attract so much criticism on this forum ?

The likes of Warnock, Sturrock and Kevin Hodges have all been rubbished on PASOTI- even though they were absolute heroes in their day and only did positive things for this club.

I just don't get it. They remain football legends in my mind.