50 years ago today | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

50 years ago today

Aug 10, 2006
my first ever game home to Tranmere lost 1-0 11,223 crowd interesting looking at the programme reading some adverts new houses were being built at Linketty lane from £4250, our first away game of the season was at Aston villa there was a supporters coach leaving Bretonside at 11pm the fare was 35s for non members with a 2s 6d reduction for members happy days.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
I was on one of those Coaches. We were dropped off at about 8.00 in the morning on a waste ground Car Park in Birmingham City Centre.

Almost 30000 there that day, mostly standing and the Holt End was awesome.

We stood on the halfway line in front of the old Main Stand surrounded by threatening looking Villa fans.

Argyle score early on through Mike Bickle but fortunately. Villa equalised for a 1-1 draw and we got out safely.

The Coach back didn't leave until 7.00 and I remember there was a bit of a fracas back at the Bull Ring between Villa and City fans.

May 3, 2016
Did they have Mc Donald's drive throughs in those days Neil, we know you like a burger (Austria) pre season.

I remember going Brentford away 40 years ago catch the 23:30 sleeper to Paddington arrive 6 ish quick something to eat then off to look at Buck house, Dale Lucas was our guide he seemed to know all the places in London - funny seeing he was a Northern Bury lad.

Those were the days.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
How many times have we done Brentford.

I'll always remember Pete and 'No woman no cry'. :lol:

May 3, 2016
It was like visiting a different planet, a bit like Luton and QPR.

No women no cry - mannnnnnnnnnnnn

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Always liked Brentford (big time) and QPR. Luton less so.

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth
demportdave":3taswzzq said:
I was on one of those Coaches. We were dropped off at about 8.00 in the morning on a waste ground Car Park in Birmingham City Centre.

Almost 30000 there that day, mostly standing and the Holt End was awesome.

We stood on the halfway line in front of the old Main Stand surrounded by threatening looking Villa fans.

Argyle score early on through Mike Bickle but fortunately. Villa equalised for a 1-1 draw and we got out safely.

The Coach back didn't leave until 7.00 and I remember there was a bit of a fracas back at the Bull Ring between Villa and City fans.

I was also on one of them coaches !
Sat in grandstand. Coach was pulled in services outside Brum 'cos all the knives went missing from the cafe. After police searched coach...knives were found around outside of coach where the occupants had chucked them out of the skylights !!
On waiting to leave the area after the game where coach was parked we were confronted by a line of threatening looking Villa "boys" slowly walking towards the coach. Once all the Argo boys got off the coach to confront them...they all disappeared ! :lol:

Not being pedantic but I seem to remember that the Argyle goal was actually an o.g by Charlie Aitken ? And also Mike Bickle was booked for time wasting at a throw-in that was proved to be 10 seconds or something really stupid.

Good old days, eh ???!!!

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
I think you’re right about Charlie Aitken, maybe it was a shot or header from Bickle and he deflected it. I’m pretty sure it was inside the first 10 minutes.

However, for some reason I can remember that Pat McMahon equalised for Villa. I’m also pretty sure they had big, bald-headed Andy Lochead playing up front for them, a typical old-fashioned English CF.