Lewis goal - movement | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lewis goal - movement

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
Having just watched the highlights from the game last night I must admit I was very impressed with Lewis's movement/ eagerness to get to the near post when he scored his goal. Some strikers aren't that keen to get to the near post.
Great result and hopefull a confidence booster going forward. :scarf:

Jun 27, 2019
It was a superb team goal that probably hasn't received as many plaudits on here as it should have. I had a quick read through the Sunderland forum and they had high praise for it.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Totally, I remember thinking at the time even Aimson's initial chipped ball to Edwards was really smart. The intricacy and movement from that point on, was really special.

Oct 5, 2013
Yes heā€™s obviously a class act, in his finterview he said he saw there was no-one going to the near post so he decided to do so, and it worked, indicates a great understanding as well as the quick reaction and pace to get to the right place.

West Norwood Green

šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jan 3, 2004
I spotted that move by Lewis, looked instinctive and great to see. Itā€™s the one thing that frustrates me about Hardie - Iā€™ve noticed heā€™s often static in the penalty area. Jephcott is always looking for runs and angles but RH less so, he tends to wait for the ball to come to him. Youā€™d imagine it would be something Lowe would be drilling him on?

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
What I noticed was that he ran from a few yards BEHIND Ryan Hardie in the direction Hardie was facing to meet the cross. Now I think Hardie was a cracking player last season and has the potential to be so again but really, as a striker, it should have been him making that darting run.

Well done to Lewis for his alertness.

[interestingly, I typed my post while WNG was typing theirs!]

Sep 2, 2008
West_Norwood_Green":3cb5wfv8 said:
I spotted that move by Lewis, looked instinctive and great to see. Itā€™s the one thing that frustrates me about Hardie - Iā€™ve noticed heā€™s often static in the penalty area. Jephcott is always looking for runs and angles but RH less so, he tends to wait for the ball to come to him. Youā€™d imagine it would be something Lowe would be drilling him on?

I like that Hardie holds that space as it ties up a defender and leaves the space behind the CB for the wing backs to run into. Its more difficult to pick up the run from the wing. 9 times out of 10 the WB will always get to the ball before the defending RB or LB simply because of the angle of approach. Its why Edwards is scoring more goals. Lewis looks like a proper WB from the same mould as Edwards. Do you think Cooper would have made that run? Part of me is glad that Cooper is out as I think he would have been a liability much like the Mackems think Fadz is.

May 16, 2016
It's welcome because it allows another player to be involved as all eyes will be on Luke Js movement.

West Norwood Green

šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jan 3, 2004
Yes, it may well be that heā€™s acting under orders and the (relative) lack of movement is deliberate but heā€™s barely scoring and I imagine thatā€™s frustrating for him and the team. Linekerā€™s advice to Strikers is to move to the space, not the ball. According to his view, the ball wonā€™t come to you four times out of five but when it does, you have to knock it in. Anyway, seems unlikely that a player as able as RH would not get that you need to move to space, so it may well be tactical

Keith Whitfield

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Mar 30, 2015
Notice also the pivotal role of Conor Grant in both of the build-ups to the goals, especially the first. To date, most of our better moves have gone down the left, but now we're building an equally effective right side attacking force. That will take the pressure off Mayor a bit.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Just watched the first goal again: if Man City had scored that goal the pundits would have been drooling over it. Played out from the back, incisive running, precise and intricate passing inside the box and a clever finish.
Brilliant!

Dec 23, 2005
Hope Lewis hasn't suffered much of an injury - I note he has suffered from ligament damage in the past.... :thumbup:

Oct 5, 2013
Cornishman":39xstcja said:
Hope Lewis hasn't suffered much of an injury - I note he has suffered from ligament damage in the past.... :thumbup:

He said in his interview that he only went off because, not having played a match for a couple of months, he was tiring.

Dec 23, 2005
philevs":2khc55z7 said:
Cornishman":2khc55z7 said:

He said in his interview that he only went off because, not having played a match for a couple of months, he was tiring.

Many thanks - that's good to hear. - Green Army! :thumbs: