Mayor keen to stay at Argyle | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Mayor keen to stay at Argyle

Aug 5, 2016
HC Green":nw3zx9ps said:
Good PR by the Club to get this interview out at a time when the management is under pressure.
That is definitely one area of the Club that has mproved since 2019.

I am sure Sonny Bradley did a similar one whilst playing for Adams before he departed for Luton some months later.

It went along the lines that he was enjoying his football and that it was a special bunch of players, and that hopefully those out of contract would get decent contract offers and stay.

jerryatricjanner

āœ… Evergreen
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
oldage":sua28caa said:
jerryatricjanner":sua28caa said:
From all your years of watching Argyle Oldage, who are the 3 or 4 midfielders you would say best met those qualities?
Off the top of my head, Friio, Delve, Norris and Matthews.
Also Randell,Piper,Hodges etc etc
Some good choices there. I wasn't a great Delve fan but also liked Nalis and Machin amongst others.
I think you are about the only other fan besides me who didn't rate Castle as highly as the vast majority.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Nobby":14s0bjbu said:
oldage":14s0bjbu said:
Nobby":14s0bjbu said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":14s0bjbu said:
Two is his end product. Why do we love Carey? We love him because he had an end product. His last season wasnā€™t good. Yet before this he scored and created goals. We see flashes of brilliance from Mayor but there just isnā€™t any consistency. Yes we love Carey for his one off flashes of brilliance but thatā€™s because it came with an end product.

I didn't love Graham Carey because of his end product. I loved Graham Carey because he had the ability to produce a moment that would make your jaw drop. Sometimes it'd be a goal, but more often than not it was a pass or a piece of skill. And despite his skill, he was a grafter as well. He was the perfect forward player at our level. We shouldn't be judging DM by the same standard. They are different players. And I know people will throw Ryan Lowe's comment when he signed back at me, but RL made that comment to try and get the fans excited and move them on from GC's departure.

That being said, Danny Mayor has the same ability to make my jaw drop. The way he feints and drops past players, and then runs past 2, 3, 4, is ridiculous at this level. He's one of the best dribblers in the lower leagues, if not the best. He cares as well. You can see the passion when he reacts to goals. The amateur body language experts on PASOTI have done DM a real disservice of late. We'd all love him to score more often, but the guy is a very talented footballer and I would much rather have him on our team than playing against it.
"The way he feints and drops past players and then runs past 2,3,4 is ridiculous at this level" but is very often to no avail.
Nice to watch granted but what is the point of being "one of the best dribblers in the lower leagues "if more often than not he loses the ball or hits a brick wall?

Danny Mayorā€™s pass completion this season is 82.5%. Suggests he finds an Argyle player 4/5 times he has the ball. So wouldnā€™t class that as more often that not.

He always seems to take one too many touches, for me. Fantastic how he beats players but seems to try a cut inside or outside on top of the brilliance he's just done when a cross or shot should have been his next "touch". The extra bit often means when he does finally release it's then blocked.
The two things he does best are getting us up the pitch from deep midfield and those great jinking runs along the goal line which is the one time he does often create a chance. He definitely gives the team something but with a little improvement in decision making could give a lot more in the way of end product.
Definitely worth signing, though - I'd much rather he was in the team than not, as frustrating as he can be at times.

Jul 12, 2016
jerryatricjanner":1t27rdlq said:
oldage":1t27rdlq said:
jerryatricjanner":1t27rdlq said:
From all your years of watching Argyle Oldage, who are the 3 or 4 midfielders you would say best met those qualities?
Some good choices there. I wasn't a great Delve fan but also liked Nalis and Machin amongst others.
I think you are about the only other fan besides me who didn't rate Castle as highly as the vast majority.
How could I forget Nalis and Machin?. Again great midfielders who will always be remembered with affection.

Mark58

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
warney":1pzxqazz said:
Nobby":1pzxqazz said:
oldage":1pzxqazz said:
Nobby":1pzxqazz said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1pzxqazz said:
Two is his end product. Why do we love Carey? We love him because he had an end product. His last season wasnā€™t good. Yet before this he scored and created goals. We see flashes of brilliance from Mayor but there just isnā€™t any consistency. Yes we love Carey for his one off flashes of brilliance but thatā€™s because it came with an end product.

I didn't love Graham Carey because of his end product. I loved Graham Carey because he had the ability to produce a moment that would make your jaw drop. Sometimes it'd be a goal, but more often than not it was a pass or a piece of skill. And despite his skill, he was a grafter as well. He was the perfect forward player at our level. We shouldn't be judging DM by the same standard. They are different players. And I know people will throw Ryan Lowe's comment when he signed back at me, but RL made that comment to try and get the fans excited and move them on from GC's departure.

That being said, Danny Mayor has the same ability to make my jaw drop. The way he feints and drops past players, and then runs past 2, 3, 4, is ridiculous at this level. He's one of the best dribblers in the lower leagues, if not the best. He cares as well. You can see the passion when he reacts to goals. The amateur body language experts on PASOTI have done DM a real disservice of late. We'd all love him to score more often, but the guy is a very talented footballer and I would much rather have him on our team than playing against it.
"The way he feints and drops past players and then runs past 2,3,4 is ridiculous at this level" but is very often to no avail.
Nice to watch granted but what is the point of being "one of the best dribblers in the lower leagues "if more often than not he loses the ball or hits a brick wall?

Danny Mayorā€™s pass completion this season is 82.5%. Suggests he finds an Argyle player 4/5 times he has the ball. So wouldnā€™t class that as more often that not.

He always seems to take one too many touches, for me. Fantastic how he beats players but seems to try a cut inside or outside on top of the brilliance he's just done when a cross or shot should have been his next "touch". The extra bit often means when he does finally release it's then blocked.
The two things he does best are getting us up the pitch from deep midfield and those great jinking runs along the goal line which is the one time he does often create a chance. He definitely gives the team something but with a little improvement in decision making could give a lot more in the way of end product.
Definitely worth signing, though - I'd much rather he was in the team than not, as frustrating as he can be at times.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with you, warney. DM is an incredibly talented player and I so, so want him to succeed but, as you say, the 'extra touch' syndrome can be so frustrating to watch. Virtually every time he collects the ball facing the goal and starts off on one of his runs I sit forward in my seat with a real sense of excitement and anticipation. Sadly, I even hear myself vocalising - 'COME on, Danny Mayor! COME on Danny Mayor!!' I then watch transfixed as he weaves around one, two, THREE defenders, tying them in knots, before... the final ball often - and frustratingly - comes to nothing.

When it does all come off, leading to a goal or an assist, or even an exciting close shave it is an incomparable magical moment. But, being greedy, and recognising the guy's obvious talent I feel cheated that it doesn't come off as much as it should.

It was just before my time when Argyle signed Barrie Jones, a winger, for what was then a record transfer fee for a player in that position. I so remember my dad coming home from a match and raving about BJ's ball skills but fuming that, in his opinion, he invariably missed out on crossing the ball and creating a chance because he was more intent on beating 'just one more man'. I wonder if my Danny Mayor is the equivalent of my dad's Barrie Jones? :lol: :scarf:

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
oldage":1kcbp1mo said:
jerryatricjanner":1kcbp1mo said:
oldage":1kcbp1mo said:
jerryatricjanner":1kcbp1mo said:
How could I forget Nalis and Machin?. Again great midfielders who will always be remembered with affection.

Steve McCall?

C

Cult Of Personality

Today was typical Mayor. Beats a man with ease but then his final ball or shot is not good enough.

For the money he is on . He should be doing more. I think it's time for him to head back up north

Doyley43

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Cult Of Personality":15sn2t74 said:
Today was typical Mayor. Beats a man with ease but then his final ball or shot is not good enough.

For the money he is on . He should be doing more. I think it's time for him to head back up north

Heā€™s our best player by a country mile! Maybe his teammates are no where near good enough! All the DM bashers I just donā€™t get! Iā€™m glad our manager rates him and funny enough every other manager in the division would snap him up and I rate our mangers decision over some of the comments on here

Jan 27, 2012
You can't deny Mayor's talent, but its the lack of end product that has probably kept him in the lower divisions.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I still do not understand why, in 2018/9, playing for Bury, Mayor scored 8 and provided 9 assists. Yes, it was in League 2 but that is also where he played for us in 2019/20.
Did he play in a different, more advanced, position or did he have a different type of midfield partner who he linked up well with?
If that was the case, Nicky Adams perhaps, why hasnā€™t RL worked this out and taken action to resolve this conundrum?

Jan 27, 2012
I think he is a bit wasted out on the wing. It would be interesting to see him in a central position, just behind the strikers. Perhaps he would have more influence there?
Iā€™ve commented previously that he needs to get into the penalty area more- itā€™s clear that defenders are scared to tackle him in case they give away penalties. Hence the shouts of ā€˜keep him wideā€™ which Iā€™ve heard on some of the matchday moments clips.

Larry David

āœ… Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
If there is a more frustrating player than Danny Mayor to ever don an Argyle shirt I canā€™t think of one. He has all the ability of Graham Carey and possibly more without the end product. He seems like a dart player or golfer with the yips when it comes to shooting he just canā€™t take the shot itā€™s really weird, maybe itā€™s a psychological thing that could be helped by seeing a psychologist? if it carries on one of us will need one heā€™s driving me nuts!

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
Doyley43":249wxot5 said:
Cult Of Personality":249wxot5 said:

Heā€™s our best player by a country mile! Maybe his teammates are no where near good enough! All the DM bashers I just donā€™t get! Iā€™m glad our manager rates him and funny enough every other manager in the division would snap him up and I rate our mangers decision over some of the comments on here

He really isn't. He disappears from games for whole stretches. He invariably wants more touches going forward and gets crowded out. He gets beaten in the tackle way too easily. He's scared to shoot.

Yes, his dribbling and change of pace can be electrifying. But that doesn't compensate for the number of great opportunities petering out because he wants the extra touch or he loses control at the last minute.

Jul 12, 2016
East End Green":1d2fqqc4 said:
Doyley43":1d2fqqc4 said:
Cult Of Personality":1d2fqqc4 said:

He really isn't. He disappears from games for whole stretches. He invariably wants more touches going forward and gets crowded out. He gets beaten in the tackle way too easily. He's scared to shoot.

Yes, his dribbling and change of pace can be electrifying. But that doesn't compensate for the number of great opportunities petering out because he wants the extra touch or he loses control at the last minute.
:clap:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Mayor gets us up the pitch and without him weā€™d still be tippy tapping it back and forth across the back 3. He does take on too many player at times but usually thereā€™s no other option than to take on another man because thereā€™s no outlet available to him.

A number of times yesterday he got the ball towards the left corner, got a nice pass into Lewis who then put in a poor cross or passed it to someone who then turned around to play it to our defence to start again. Mayor is not the problem with our team, itā€™s the mentality to take the safe option above all else.