our right side was once again non-functional as an
attacking threat;
unless we're planning to sign them long term, can we
please stop nurturing other teams' youngsters, and suffering
from their errors;
no doubt I'm in the minority, but I shan't be sorry if Mayor's
contract is not extended. His dribbling and ball retention are
indeed fantastic, but he can't pass, can't shoot, and can't use
his left foot. All fur coat and no knickers.
No subs until we're 3-nil down.
In the end, it was Plymouth Argyle nil, and never really looked
like being anything else.
Bring on Burton.

100% agree with the Mayor comment, what a disappointment he's been since joining. (Love the Fur coat analogy).

I was screaming at Lewis to learn how to cross a ball, not kick it beyond the bloody box every time, but it got better when he kept it low.

Jephcott looks a busted flush, wish we'd cashed in when he looked a player.

Still these players have had their moments and we are safe to dream again next season.

Mind you, how the hell would we compete in the Championship?!?!

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
The public dressing down was important perhaps, because it evidences that plenty of these lot even with a modicum of effort arenā€™t anywhere near top end L1 and certainly wonā€™t be in the space of months.

Hull were clearly better than our lot at their place, but not the gulf seen today.

Certainly will struggle to do much next season if the likes of Mayor and Grant (thankfully not appearing today) are retained. To parallel Mayor with say McGregor, at least McGregor was a valid goal threat every half dozen games, Mayor never is never will be.

But who know how extensive the clear out can be.

Would reloan Opoku given the chance.
Keep Aimson as some back up back there, heā€™s not embarrassed himself of late like most have.

Greendawe

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
The usual story - over elaborate and mistakes at the back and over elaborate and failure to finish at the front. If we are to progress next season we will need
both a significant number of new players along with new formations and tactics.

Greendawe":n5eykuev said:
The usual story - over elaborate and mistakes at the back and over elaborate and failure to finish at the front. If we are to progress next season we will need

Agree. Am I right in thinking that to get through this season most clubs will have many short term contract players and loanees, which should make the Summer break quite a bunfight?

jerryatricjanner

āœ… Evergreen
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
You could see how they were top of the league, physically stronger, more streetwise and pouncing ruthlessly to clinically punish our mistakes. We are 3, 4 or 5 players short of challenging at the top next season. I don't buy any of the referee nonsense which was trotted out by some during another defeat. If we wanted to wear away team specs we might have screamed for a yellow or red for Aimson's hand in the face or the shot that struck an arm midway through the 2nd half in our penalty box to name just two instances. Several poor decisions by Mayor again after doing the hard bit. Is he worth the reported 6k a week or would be better with two players on 3k a week? It is looking like the season will peter out to a 17th or 18th place finish now so hopefully we won't waste too much game time on those who won't be here next season. The problem there of course is that we might struggle to field a team. A lot of work and a lot of personnel changes in the summer I think.

Aug 27, 2016
Why oh why does Mayor have to beat an extra man? If he beats two he must beat three and so on,Why oh Why from the kick off does Aimson hoof the ball into touch, and also why does Cooper more than often hoof his goal kicks into touch? We need a big clear out close season ,Why substitutes when we are three down ? I canā€™t remember a substitute making an impact this season, correct me if iā€™m wrong, Why when weā€™re in possession do we always go pass backwards especially at free kicks, and lastly why do we always faff around playing the ball out from the back? It looks pretty but puts us under increased pressure.By all means play it from the back but get the ball further forward, Aimson is the best back passer in the league.There thatā€™s total frustration from my point of view.

Dec 30, 2011
Hedgehoghouse":29verlcm said:
Why oh why does Mayor have to beat an extra man? If he beats two he must beat three and so on,Why oh Why from the kick off does Aimson hoof the ball into touch, and also why does Cooper more than often hoof his goal kicks into touch? We need a big clear out close season ,Why substitutes when we are three down ? I canā€™t remember a substitute making an impact this season, correct me if iā€™m wrong, Why when weā€™re in possession do we always go pass backwards especially at free kicks, and lastly why do we always faff around playing the ball out from the back? It looks pretty but puts us under increased pressure.By all means play it from the back but get the ball further forward, Aimson is the best back passer in the league.There thatā€™s total frustration from my point of view.

I suspect its because when he has the ball, he plays with his head down and doesn't know where the goal or his team-mates are, so he keeps dribbling away till he loses the ball

Oct 5, 2013
Hedgehoghouse":1nh9hkqr said:

Agree with almost all of your points.
RLā€™s style claims to be an attacking one, but we are so negative and predictable at times with all the sideways and back passing when in promising positions.
And when we get in one of these bad runs it becomes really dire to watch.

Jan 30, 2016
Hull were by far the better team. I hope we can find a Honeyman for our midfield next season.
However, they were a great team at diving and the ref was conned most of the time.

Argyle undone by mistakes yet again! I think Argyle are safe, time to try something different but not sure what with the players that we have - too many have lost form.

Dorset Green

āœ… Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Greendawe":21m02ou1 said:

Yes a lot of the current squad aren't good enough, how far forward we'll be able to move will depend on how much new players will cost and how much we can afford. The gap between the cost of the squads on show this afternoon was I believe large and it showed. Hull looked ready to compete in the Championship, losing 0-3 was depressing but we enjoyed good periods of possession let down as summarised by the post above.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
Loads of over thinking, and as usual after a defeat full blown over the top, "the end is nigh" style criticism.

Hull are a good team.

For many games we played 3-5-2 and were successful.

We had good periods today but were outdone by some naive defending.

We have a lot of younger players ergo, we will have naive moments.

We have achieved what most of us would have settled for before this season.

The style is much better than Adams, Sheridan etc. It's not as good as Sturrock but then who is?

Mayor is not a world beater, if he was he wouldn't be playing for us.

Jephcott is a young guy, too much expectation.

Most of these players will be here next year. They will be a year more experienced, the aim will be top half finish. This is a long term project, get used to it.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Hull outclassed us.
They had at least 4 ā€˜carriersā€™ who could stroll through the centre of midfield without being challenged. We have only got Danny Mayor who is capable of this but the end product is lacking. I have seen Camara do that this season but he seems to have lost that spark. Joe Edwards has also been prepared to carry the ball forward but he has also been less offensive in recent games.
We really do need some experience in our defence. An old head would not dally on the ball like Opoku did today.
I think the effort was there today but not the ability.
Our first touch is poor as we seem unable to get the ball under control quickly whereas Hull were so much better at that.
I am relieved that we have reached 52 points because, the way that we are playing, we donā€™t look like getting many more.

May 8, 2011
Mark Pedlar":2bv9fnrp said:
Loads of over thinking, and as usual after a defeat full blown over the top, "the end is nigh" style criticism.

Hull are a good team.

The style is much better than Adams, Sheridan etc. It's not as good as Sturrock but then who is?

Most of these players will be here next year. They will be a year more experienced, the aim will be top half finish. This is a long term project, get used to it.

What is the current teams style?
Scoring less goals and conceding more goals than a team that got relegated is not a great style to aspire to.
The hype was that the team would play fast attractive attacking football, the stats would suggest they arenā€™t.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
HC Green":4jhluzjp said:
Mark Pedlar":4jhluzjp said:

Hull are a good team.

Scoring less goals and conceding more goals than a team that got relegated is not a great style to aspire to.
The hype was that the team would play fast attractive attacking football, the stats would suggest they arenā€™t.

We are playing attacking, possession football. We are not bringing on a defender to protect a draw or listening to accounts of coaching staff punching players. Perhaps that floats your boat. Cooper Jephcott, Lolos would never have been given game time under the last "manager". However, a number of players would have been played regardless of their injury and harm to their future careers. Let it go HC. Adams has gone, thank God.

Apr 1, 2009
HC Green":14b3s8og said:
Mark Pedlar":14b3s8og said:

Hull are a good team.

I actually think Derek Adams gets a hard time on here. In four years as a manager he got us promoted, came close to getting us into the L1 play-offs, and recruited a few very good players. Yes, there were significant negatives to go with these positives, but the guy gave it everything and doesn't deserve some of the more extreme comments he receives.

The biggest single reason that Derek Adams is going down in my estimation at present, is the company he chooses to keep.