What have the loanees brought to the team | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

What have the loanees brought to the team

Jul 12, 2016
mervyn":3cixhxfl said:
Cobi Budge":3cixhxfl said:
Very little.

I really hope that next season we put less emphasis on signing weak PL loanee's and more on signing streetwise winners.

We need to balance our style with a nasty, ruthless streak.

There’s very little I would want to change about the modern game; just about everything is better than 20/30 years ago. There is one exception. The fact that players are now properly rewarded over a short career span means that you get fewer players experienced at the highest level finishing their careers at clubs like Argyle. We can all produce lists of outstanding senior players over the years who’ve given us that ruthless streak which is clearly missing.

I agree, perhaps a solution may be to acquire more senior loanees, particularly those acquiring their coaching badges with a view to staying in the game.
Not sure about it being better than 20/30 years ago. The football may be technically better but a lot of the passion and pride has gone. IMO there is too much analysis, cheating and players who are overpaid for doing a job they are lucky to have. As for VAR :facepalm:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
oldage":veus755r said:
mervyn":veus755r said:
Cobi Budge":veus755r said:
Very little.

I really hope that next season we put less emphasis on signing weak PL loanee's and more on signing streetwise winners.

We need to balance our style with a nasty, ruthless streak.

There’s very little I would want to change about the modern game; just about everything is better than 20/30 years ago. There is one exception. The fact that players are now properly rewarded over a short career span means that you get fewer players experienced at the highest level finishing their careers at clubs like Argyle. We can all produce lists of outstanding senior players over the years who’ve given us that ruthless streak which is clearly missing.

I agree, perhaps a solution may be to acquire more senior loanees, particularly those acquiring their coaching badges with a view to staying in the game.
Not sure about it being better than 20/30 years ago. The football may be technically better but a lot of the passion and pride has gone. IMO there is too much analysis, cheating and players who are overpaid for doing a job they are lucky to have. As for VAR :facepalm:
VAR is ruining the game in some ways. Two offsides this weekend for Wolves and Liverpool denying good goals, why can't they leave it at the feet on the ground being the only method to determine it? If we are looking at the 3rd division/League 1 then the football is unquestionably better than 30 years ago. Better pitches, lighter balls, the abolition of the back pass rule, better training, sports science, diets etc all help make today's players overall better athletes and then of course the huge number of foreign players into the English game has seen many players in league 1 who in those days would have been playing a division higher.
As regards cheating, I think there has always been a fair bit of that. Rodney Marsh, Franny Lee, Stan Bowles all knew how to go down in the box to earn a penalty and we are talking 50 years ago there. In some ways I preferred some of the games on heavy pitches to give some variety, it all seems the same now in many ways. Even today I think there is passion and pride with most players, once the group are in the dressing room/on the pitch situation winning is what matters. You only have to look at the sheer joy and excitement when top players on tens of thousands a week react when goals are scored in big games. Whether it's local parks or Champion's league football they all get the same kick from winning a big game or a trophy I think.
I hope this season has been a bit of a learning curve for the management team at Home Park and perhaps next season there will be a better mix of permanent and loan signings and younger and experienced players. Overall though I think the policy of producing or buying young players to sell on at a profit is better than the journeymen signings with no resale value for a club in our situation.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Well last year they were instrumental in getting us promoted, and this year they have helped us to remain in L1.

How crazy would we be expecting success with our traditional "Happy shopper" player recruitment, there's no way we can compete with the wealthiest clubs in this division, which means we'll end up with players no one else wants.

As long as the loan system exists we need to use it as everyone else does, as without it we'd be cannon fodder.

What a stupid thread.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Perhaps the balance of loanees isn't quite right, During Argyle's winning runs this season (and last) we weren't complaining much. As things have got tougher this season we have been found wanting in all areas of the pitch, not just loan players have struggled. I think that just a couple of seasoned pro's would make all the difference to the overall team performances, especially when we are up against it. Young talents need direction on the pitch, as well as coaching off it.

Dec 30, 2020
They've helped us to stay up comfortably, at a significantly cheaper cost than the counterfactual (signing more experienced players on permanent contracts) at a time when lower league football - including Argyle - is facing a severe financial crisis.

(I think this point is too little understood- but that's probably for another thread).

As it happens, I think they've been a little bit short of the quality that's required for players we're developing for other teams.

And more widely, the balance of experience in the squad hasn't been quite right. We've got too many young players who let their heads drop when things are going against us, and are obviously tiring and making errors at the end of a long season.

But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

They've all shown flashes of quality at times, and when you think how much other players we've had at similar age have improved (both our own youngsters like Curtis Nelson and Conor Hourihane, or those we've had on loan like Joe Bryan or Bobby Reid) I wouldn't be averse to taking any of them back on a longer term basis.

Jun 2, 2016
PL2 3DQ":dob85wdv said:
The five loans last season - Josh Grant, George Cooper, Ryan Hardie, Tyreeq Bakinson and Alex Palmer - made a huge difference to the team.

This season some of the loan players started ok but haven't improved themselves or the team as the season has progressed.
Lewis looks like a wasted signing in a position that Ryan Law could have filled.

Next season the team should be built around our own players on permanent contracts and not built on loans/sand.
What we are seeing is that, in defence especially, you need experience.
You might get away with 1 rookie defender on loan, but 2 and your defensive cover too? That is asking for trouble. The back 3/4/5 seems to have been an afterthought this season. Lowe needs to learn the lesson, and quick.

the_corkscrew":21ljfdx9 said:
PL2 3DQ":21ljfdx9 said:
The five loans last season - Josh Grant, George Cooper, Ryan Hardie, Tyreeq Bakinson and Alex Palmer - made a huge difference to the team.

This season some of the loan players started ok but haven't improved themselves or the team as the season has progressed.
Lewis looks like a wasted signing in a position that Ryan Law could have filled.

Next season the team should be built around our own players on permanent contracts and not built on loans/sand.
You might get away with 1 rookie defender on loan, but 2 and your defensive cover too? That is asking for trouble. The back 3/4/5 seems to have been an afterthought this season. Lowe needs to learn the lesson, and quick.

I go along with this. I can’t remember which famous manager said that all team building should start from the back because if you’re not leaking goals you’re half way there. Makes sense.

Jul 12, 2016
greenpilled":y5i8bzid said:
They've helped us to stay up comfortably, at a significantly cheaper cost than the counterfactual (signing more experienced players on permanent contracts) at a time when lower league football - including Argyle - is facing a severe financial crisis.

(I think this point is too little understood- but that's probably for another thread).

As it happens, I think they've been a little bit short of the quality that's required for players we're developing for other teams.

And more widely, the balance of experience in the squad hasn't been quite right. We've got too many young players who let their heads drop when things are going against us, and are obviously tiring and making errors at the end of a long season.

But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

They've all shown flashes of quality at times, and when you think how much other players we've had at similar age have improved (both our own youngsters like Curtis Nelson and Conor Hourihane, or those we've had on loan like Joe Bryan or Bobby Reid) I wouldn't be averse to taking any of them back on a longer term basis.
Helped us to stay up comfortably? There are still 5 games to go and we will probably end up just above the relegation places.
Comfortable isn't a word I would use.

Mar 18, 2014
we can lose all 5 games and still are safe, that is comfortable enough.

Unless of course you just like to complain for the sake of it :)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
the_corkscrew":1sbsdh98 said:
PL2 3DQ":1sbsdh98 said:

Hence in four transfer windows Lowe has signed just one new centre-back on a permanent contract.
The old football adage is build from the back and not the front.

In Lowe's defence (excuse the pun) the defence from last season of Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer kept the most clean sheets in League Two and only other two other teams conceded less goals so Lowe might have thought they would do well in League One. We also had an excellent keeper in Palmer.

This season Sawyer gets injured, Wootton gets found out in a higher league and we have a rookie keeper playing his first full season as a professional.
We then had Opoku and Watts also both playing their first full season as professionals and the revolving door at left wing-back where none of the candidates could defend so looking back with hindsight the defence was a recipe for disaster where only Cooper can emerge with any credit, although Aimson and Edwards have done ok in defensive roles.

Jul 5, 2008
Plymuff, innit!
For me, I would much prefer to build from the back with permanent players who are willing and able to put their bodies on the line for our/their club. I would rather take loans for the flair players, potential game-changers or off the bench type players. I would much prefer the loanees to make mistakes and ‘learn’ further up the pitch.

That said, it must be considered our wage contributions to these players will be reduced (likely) and they are, or should be, better than what’s available when considering a quality vs cost equation. That’s the simple reality.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
For me, loanees should be extras, for example game changing players, luxury players, players to provide competition etc. The spine of your side should be made up of permanent squads members.

Kevin Pedlar

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jul 28, 2010
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":22toneo4 said:
For me, loanees should be extras, for example game changing players, luxury players, players to provide competition etc. The spine of your side should be made up of permanent squads members.

I’ll ask my usual question. Who would your spine be?
Which players that we don’t have would have been definitely willing to sign for us?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Kevin Pedlar":3u4sp0s7 said:
Cobi Budge":3u4sp0s7 said:

I’ll ask my usual question. Who would your spine be?
Which players that we don’t have would have been definitely willing to sign for us?

I’m not part of the recruitment process. I’m sure there are players out there.

But for example, back in 2016 we had a spine consisting of McCormick, Hartley, Nelson, McHugh, Carey and Brunt/Reid, all of whom were permanent players. That’s the sort of thing I’m talking about.