What have the loanees brought to the team | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

What have the loanees brought to the team

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Agree with most of the OP, but this idea that Hull have players who are way more experienced than ours is wide of the mark. In fact, when you take the average ages of each starting X1 from Saturday, there's very little in it. Argyle 23.5, Hull 24.0.

I dont think we play naively sometimes because of the lack of experience of the players, I think we play naively sometimes because we're coached naively sometimes.

Jul 12, 2016
Abbotts Ann Green":3jgulbrm said:
I would just ignore what Oldage says, he admitted earlier this year that he is not actually watching the games this season anyway. I’ve watched around 40 games now and I’ve not seen any evidence of lack of effort. Mistakes, defensive howlers, misses when it seems easier to score yes, but the players have given their all including the loanees.

It’s the inconsistency that gets me, summed up by recent goal conceding mistakes from Grant and Opoku for example. And I wish the Camara we saw earlier in the season would re-appear.
Here we go again.You cannot resist having a go.You have no idea how many games I have watched since my earlier remark so why harp on about it. Glad you enjoyed the effort at Northampton,Shrewsbury and against Ipswich :facepalm:

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Abbots Ann Green is totally out of order with those comments...totally....and personal attacks against one poster should not be allowed....I think the loanees have been very poor and are blocking the progress of our younger players from coming through into the first team....they make too many mistakes week after week after week....

Apr 1, 2009
oddball":34z016aj said:
Abbots Ann Green is totally out of order with those comments...totally....and personal attacks against one poster should not be allowed....I think the loanees have been very poor and are blocking the progress of our younger players from coming through into the first team....they make too many mistakes week after week after week....

Given that the majority of our loanees are centre backs, which young CBs are they keeping out who are ready to play in the first team?

Aug 24, 2009
Why is it wrong for us to have loanees which will possibly enhance there careers elsewhere when we loan out our youngsters to gain experience and return to us better players, Jephcott, Law, Randell and Lolas come to mind, it strikes me some people want there cake and eat it. Our management need to be quicker off the mark and get the best loanees and not the leftovers. The loanees this year have done okay with there limited experience although with a little more irons around the football world we could have done much better.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
xmastree":1jbi4kqc said:
oddball":1jbi4kqc said:

Given that the majority of our loanees are centre backs, which young CBs are they keeping out who are ready to play in the first team?
The main benefit was that we could release Canavan and Wootton (on loan) in January although it seemed (from Mayor’s recent interview) that he thinks we have missed Canavan’s experience.

Apr 1, 2009
davie nine":ttctnn5o said:
xmastree":ttctnn5o said:
oddball":ttctnn5o said:

The main benefit was that we could release Canavan and Wootton (on loan) in January although it seemed (from Mayor’s recent interview) that he thinks we have missed Canavan’s experience.

I think we have missed Canavan's experience. He was the nearest thing to an old fashioned lower league CB that we've had at any point this season. Which makes it all the stranger that Oddball believes that our own (unnamed) CBs should have been playing there.

Feb 22, 2021
Spot on Ottawa green ! We have a good set of young players not given a chance and at least should be given a bit of league 1 exposure at this stage of ,let’s be honest ,an average to poor season ,in order to judge them now and maybe avoid bringing in so many loan players next season (surely also more cost affective)

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
xmastree":3f31mgl9 said:
davie nine":3f31mgl9 said:
xmastree":3f31mgl9 said:
oddball":3f31mgl9 said:

I think we have missed Canavan's experience. He was the nearest thing to an old fashioned lower league CB that we've had at any point this season. Which makes it all the stranger that Oddball believes that our own (unnamed) CBs should have been playing there.

Tomlinson perhaps?

Feb 13, 2021
Problem is a lot of the Argyle fans will crucify our young players aswell and then scream, ‘why can’t we get some decent experienced players in’ seen it before and heard it before!
In my opinion at present we have one outstanding prospect and that’s Mike Cooper! Who by the way was getting crucified earlier in the season by our own fans!
We bring in what we can afford and what we can get down here!
As far as I know Canavan went under his own accord (I think)!
Not every loanee is going to be outstanding. They’ve done ok and ime sure as with Cooper and Jepchott if the coaching staff thought thought Lolos, Randel , Pursell and Law were ready they would have got a run by now!

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
To my mind, the loanees have done OK. While there have been some notable "schoolboy errors" from each of them at times, they have all shown that they've got what it takes to play at a decent level.

My main concern is that they've been concentrated in the defensive part of the team rather than the more attacking areas. Accepting that we need to have a fair number of loanees to allow the budget to stretch to a group of players that can play the Lowe/Schumacher way, I'd prefer them to be strikers/midfielders rather than defenders, and have more spent on bringing experienced defenders into the squad on long-term contracts.

I can't prove this scientifically, but it seems to me that the more successful teams are built on solid defensive platforms that have built up an understanding over a period of time. This gives the more attacking players greater confidence to take a few risks in unlocking opposition defences.

Keith_Whitfield":8s872lhh said:
To my mind, the loanees have done OK. While there have been some notable "schoolboy errors" from each of them at times, they have all shown that they've got what it takes to play at a decent level.

My main concern is that they've been concentrated in the defensive part of the team rather than the more attacking areas. Accepting that we need to have a fair number of loanees to allow the budget to stretch to a group of players that can play the Lowe/Schumacher way, I'd prefer them to be strikers/midfielders rather than defenders, and have more spent on bringing experienced defenders into the squad on long-term contracts.

I can't prove this scientifically, but it seems to me that the more successful teams are built on solid defensive platforms that have built up an understanding over a period of time. This gives the more attacking players greater confidence to take a few risks in unlocking opposition defences.

I think you’re spot on KW, and the proof is in the stats. Who, in our league, has scored the most goals? Hull with 71. Who has conceded the fewest goals? Hull with 32. Who is the next best? Second place Peterborough with 70/38. I’m sure it’s no co-incidence that the two top goal scoring team should also have the best defensive record, and I’m sure it’s because of the reasons you state.

Sep 2, 2008
Plenty of endeavour but that is heavily countered by the naivety and poor decision making which has been the reason for us leaking so many goals.

Putting young loanees in such key positions as CB and CDM has been a huge reason for our downward spiral. Although, I appreciate having league 2 defenders in there as well has also contributed.

Hopefully Lowe has seen this and will look to get an experienced, capable defensive line up in place next season. If he wants to dip into the loan market then focus on the creative attacking loanees out there much as Lincoln have in getting that Johnson fella from Forest and the youngster from Man City.