European Super League | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

European Super League

Jan 27, 2012
It's going to be exactly the same players that we see already- but with extra hype and marketing attached.

In fact football hasn't really changed much since I started watching in it in the 1980s. Players have the same skill levels, the games provide the same entertainment. The Super League is pretty much the same product being marketed differently. Blokes kicking balls around.

Feb 15, 2005
It was always going to happen, football sold its soul to TV many many years ago and players earn film star wages. My fear is that Argyle and clubs like us, will get less money from the Premier League as the top teams cream off more and more. It’s sad that we can’t really afford to compete in the Championship let alone dream about the Premier league.

May 21, 2010
taunton
My biggest wish in football was to watch Argyle play in the Premier League, even if it was just for one season. Now I can't see that happening unless a rich sugar daddy takes over, which I wouldn't want. So my expectations are now focused on the Championship, and I did enjoy our last few seasons there.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Steve Wooldridge":dxb9bird said:
My biggest wish in football was to watch Argyle play in the Premier League, even if it was just for one season. Now I can't see that happening unless a rich sugar daddy takes over, which I wouldn't want. So my expectations are now focused on the Championship, and I did enjoy our last few seasons there.

Funnily enough I’ve never had that ambition. Because the Prem turns clubs into basket cases. Crazed owners who either spend to much chasing a dream and cripple their club when they get relegated or who remove any semblance of connectivity between a club and its place. The Championship will do fine for me. Big clubs, good crowds, good football. I never want this club at risk and the club - the fans, the ground, the identity - is way bigger than the football. I always used to think this meant I lacked ambition. Was accused of that on here one or two times years ago. Now, I’m even more convinced of its sanity!

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I don't know where to start with this one. I don't even like the PL. I used to follow Arsenal with passion, born 10 minutes from the stadium (Highbury!) they figured enormously in the lives of me and my family. There are too many stories to tell so I won't bore you. Arsenal have become a brand, staffed by mercenaries and run by chancers with little understanding of the emotion football evokes for most of us. I won't be watching them again...thank goodness for Argyle.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Old Gunner":2rttzsq2 said:
I don't know where to start with this one. I don't even like the PL. I used to follow Arsenal with passion, born 10 minutes from the stadium (Highbury!) they figured enormously in the lives of me and my family. There are too many stories to tell so I won't bore you. Arsenal have become a brand, staffed by mercenaries and run by chancers with little understanding of the emotion football evokes for most of us. I won't be watching them again...thank goodness for Argyle.
well said sir. :clap:

Sep 25, 2010
Purely for the sake of balance, and to get an idea of the other side, does anybody actually agree that this is a good idea, and will go for it.

Purely for the sake of discussion. Because of the lack of clarity by the owners of the’big 6’.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Martyn":160afa2e said:
Purely for the sake of balance, and to get an idea of the other side, does anybody actually agree that this is a good idea, and will go for it.

Purely for the sake of discussion. Because of the lack of clarity by the owners of the’big 6’.

On the BBC News last nice there was a snippet with a guy in China (I think) who followed Spurs (I think). He was sat in a room that was basically like a shrine - he had a remote control curtain that slid back to reveal team shirts and he was clutching a photo of himself in a shirt like he was Gollum holding the ring. He said he was really excited about the competition and was looking forward to being able to watch Spurs play Juventus. There are probably millions like him scattered around China and other countries in the Far East.

I know that this doesn't really answer your question, but in many ways it completely does...

One other related thought - has it actually been confirmed that the other three founder teams and the five invited teams will necessarily be based in Europe?

Martyn":2550lo6c said:

It’s a very good idea if you’re the owner of one of these six, and the huge increase in share prices confirms this. If you don’t give a stuff about the product, the fans, the history but are solely concerned with getting your product to a hugely growing Asian, American and Far East market, where you will have greater rights and income share from the broadcasting potential, then what’s not to like?

This is why I’m afraid it really will happen, and it’s not just just the negotiating ploy that Greg Dyke was suggesting yesterday.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Old Gunner":3p4z50w7 said:

:thumbup:

Along with all the family ties and emotions attaching you to a football club, for me there has to be a feeling of the club you support being a force for good. I do genuinely feel that with Argyle right now, and if I ever ceased to feel that way I'd seriously question my support.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Whatever you think of Everton and the money they've spent, or whether they'd have taken the cash if they had an invite... this is a great statement from them.

Everton is saddened and disappointed to see proposals of a breakaway league pushed forward by six clubs.

Six clubs acting entirely in their own interests.

Six clubs tarnishing the reputation of our league and the game.

Six clubs choosing to disrespect every other club with whom they sit around the Premier League table.

Six clubs taking for granted and even betraying the majority of football supporters across our country and beyond.

At this time of national and international crisis - and a defining period for our game - clubs should be working together collaboratively with the ideals of our game and its supporters uppermost.

Instead, these clubs have been secretly conspiring to break away from a football pyramid that has served them so well.

And in that Pyramid Everton salutes EVERY club, be it Leicester City, Accrington Stanley, Gillingham, Lincoln City, Morecambe, Southend United, Notts County and the rest who have, with their very being, enriched the lives of their supporters throughout the game's history. And vice versa.

The self-proclaimed Super Six appear intent on disenfranchising supporters across the game - including their own - by putting the very structure that underpins the game we love under threat.

The backlash is understandable and deserved – and has to be listened to.

This preposterous arrogance is not wanted anywhere in football outside of the clubs that have drafted this plan.

On behalf of everyone associated with Everton, we respectfully ask that the proposals are immediately withdrawn and that the private meetings and subversive practises that have brought our beautiful game to possibly its lowest ever position in terms of trust end now.

Finally we would ask the owners, chairmen, and Board members of the six clubs to remember the privileged position they hold – not only as custodians of their clubs but also custodians of the game. The responsibility they carry should be taken seriously.

We urge them all to consider what they wish their legacy to be.

Aug 14, 2014
Martyn wrote: Purely for the sake of balance, and to get an idea of the other side, does anybody actually agree that this is a good idea, and will go for it.

Perhaps asking the "supporters" in the street wearing the shirts of Barca, Real, Juve and the rest involved their opinion might show some backing for the plan. Myself, I broadly support the existing, but far from satisfactory systems but question the squandering of the game's money on managerial severance packages on the likes of Mourinho now fired from his last three posts in the P.L.

Nov 27, 2020
I must be the only football fan who doesn't care about this super league. What the supposed big 6 do doesn't affect my love of the game or my support for Plymouth.

Will it have a knock on effect with money going down the league. Quite possibly.

That might mean smaller stadiums, no fancy training grounds, no signing of expensive players on big contracts or comfy seating in grounds.

But whether we play in front of 30,000 people televised on sky or 1,000 people in a tiny stadium the buz will be there for me. When a 90th minute winner goes in against the opposition it doesn't matter if its Sunderland or Hull or Crawley Town away. The Passion is still there and they can't take that away.

As long as people in Plymouth want football someone will provide it in some form.

It wasn't to long ago that the money, stadiums and TV deals weren't in football and we all followed it then. Tommy T isn't any less of legend because he now drives a taxi rather than owns some designer clothes line.

If I can spend my Saturdays with oggy in hand cheering on Argyle I'll live happy.

Mar 18, 2014
I think this entire thing is definitely driven by money.

But maybe more panic than greed - these so-called "big clubs" are collectively billions of pounds in debt. This debt is from them all spending money they do not have, as has happened to many other clubs.

But these other clubs being small fry they were allowed to rot and either plummet down the leagues or disappear entirely. I always take a sick satisfaction in Bolton's demise - wasn't their chairman who wanted to make the premier league a closed shop?

An example of how these clubs think and operate would be Southampton, who almost went bankrupt, sorted their finances and promptly bought Ricky Lambert for a million pounds they didn't have.

Strangely, it is Covid that might save football, not the leeches at Real Madrid et al, by forcing all clubs to tighten the purse strings. Just think how much of the billions these 12 clubs are apparently going to receive will go to football agents??

I think SH saw this coming, hence why he invested in the upgraded grandstand to make us self-sufficient

robin

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 4, 2011
The new Super League is inevitable, as many have pointed out, football was lost to the fans many years ago, the greed train was allowed to leave the station by the very authorities, owners, managers and players that are now morally outraged.

There will be changes to the format, it might not happen this year, in a pique of democracy they might even allow for promotion.
The fact remains that most of the 12 big clubs are incredibly badly run, hugely in debt and some – in the case of Barcelona are finding it increasingly difficult to service this debt.

Barcelona and Real Madrid have both reportedly said privately that they are unable match the wage demands for Haaland – reportedly £71,000 per day for a four-hour training session, so what is the answer?
Control greed? Or chase it? Understandably they have chosen the latter.

The holier-than-thou attitude of UEFA is particularly grating, they created a moral vacuum by sucking the life blood out of the game. Creating a Champions League where most teams were not champions, making fans travel to finals in Azerbaijan when even pre-Covid it was almost impossible.

The clubs who were shunned have announced their opposition to the Super League like teenagers not being invited to the coolest high school party. You know full well they would love to be seen rubbing shoulders with the school’s glitterati, but having failed to receive an invite they ‘didn’t really want to attend anyway’ Let’s take two examples, Sevilla in Spain and Everton – ruthlessly exploiting the overseas markets for years, ignoring their fans to play pre-season friendlies in China and the United States and now opposed because football is 'for the fans'.

The owners of the 12 have got it very wrong, but absent from all the faux hyperbole is the fact that most club owners have no idea about running a league. They have shown complete organisational and financial ineptitude in running their own clubs for many years and have survived by continually stroking the golden TV and streaming goose. The lack of Super League relegation and promotion is clear evidence of their complete lack of understanding of how a competition actually works. Let’s be clear, this is not a closed shop by grand philosophical design, it is a closed shop due to the triumph of incompetence over sanity.

Similarly, the lack of consultation with managers – see Jurgen Klopp, being asked to perform the role of the Mad Hatter falling into a nebulous black hole explaining how Liverpool were aiming to qualify for a competition that they will not enter next year. This was not carefully planned nefarious trickery on part of the owners, they simply forgot to include Brian from operations in the memo. The tiny neocortex section of the brain of a football owner is unable to see the consequences of taking more than half an enlightened step forward as it requires more brain power than the 12 have combined.

Most obsequious of all are the toadying comments from the authorities and individuals desperately trying to clamber aboard the grovel train laden with the fawning or should that be fauxning respect for fans.

Where was the moral outrage from players, UEFA, the Premier league and broadcasters when they took football away from 3pm on a Saturday? it was our game, we worked hard all week and wanted one afternoon to relax. We may be safe for the moment but tolerate this and our league will be next. Money copies money's ideas.

Where was the moral outrage when Hull City fans had to travel to Southampton on a Monday evening arriving back at 5:30am ?

Where was the moral outrage when fans were charged thousands of pounds for tickets?

Where was the moral outrage when Bury went bust for much less than the total of a day’s salary of Premier League footballers?

Be outraged by the Super League but please spare us the phony concern for fans. Tell it like it is, the owners have found a way to make more money than you. You have ridden the gravy train to the airport and the owners are now climbing aboard their private jets and closing the doors to everyone.

The game was stolen from fans many years ago when the steamroller of finance crushed the spirit of Shankly, Busby et al. It is one reason why supporting Argyle is so much more satisfying, we have so much more of an emotional connection to the club.

Let’s be realistic, money talks, of course owners have to look out for themselves and exploit new revenue streams they are running a business after all.

The game had to move on but there was an alternative, clubs like Borussia Dortmund have managed to progress and take fans along for the ride.

Football could have traveled to the future with a soul, body and a heartbeat rather than just a grubby pair of outstretched hands.