European Super League | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

European Super League

Apr 9, 2011
The Doctor":2l4x4jk9 said:
Martyn":2l4x4jk9 said:
Purely for the sake of balance, and to get an idea of the other side, does anybody actually agree that this is a good idea, and will go for it.

Purely for the sake of discussion. Because of the lack of clarity by the owners of the’big 6’.

On the BBC News last nice there was a snippet with a guy in China (I think) who followed Spurs (I think). He was sat in a room that was basically like a shrine - he had a remote control curtain that slid back to reveal team shirts and he was clutching a photo of himself in a shirt like he was Gollum holding the ring. He said he was really excited about the competition and was looking forward to being able to watch Spurs play Juventus. There are probably millions like him scattered around China and other countries in the Far East.

I know that this doesn't really answer your question, but in many ways it completely does...

One other related thought - has it actually been confirmed that the other three founder teams and the five invited teams will necessarily be based in Europe?
When i went to Anfield to watch us play Liverpool in the cup a few seasons back i was struck then by the number of Chinese & Japanese wandering around outside the ground before kick off says it all really. I wonder how many die hard Scousers can still get in to Anfield

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It begs the question - would Argyle fans be happy if a billionaire foreign businessman/conglomerate bought out Simon Hallett and pumped millions into the club and within 5 years we are midtable in the Premier League looking to push for a place in Europe the following season?

Or are we happy to stay as we are - pushing for a place in the Championship (followed by a midtable Championship place) under a rich but sensible owner and fan with a vision of sustainability? Staying away from all the nonsense of the Premier League?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":2yeuuj4k said:
It begs the question - would Argyle fans be happy if a billionaire foreign businessman/conglomerate bought out Simon Hallett and pumped millions into the club and within 5 years we are midtable in the Premier League looking to push for a place in Europe the following season?

Or are we happy to stay as we are - pushing for a place in the Championship (followed by a midtable Championship place) under a rich but sensible owner and fan with a vision of sustainability? Staying away from all the nonsense of the Premier League?

The latter for me, especially if that scenario has a Championship place guaranteed.

Also once you're in the Championship, a good run of form and a few great signings give you a decent shout at the Premier League anyway.

But really, a well-run Championship club where a Cup run or even win isn't out of the question, is the sweet spot for me.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
robin":2hal6jy2 said:
The new Super League is inevitable, as many have pointed out, football was lost to the fans many years ago, the greed train was allowed to leave the station by the very authorities, owners, managers and players that are now morally outraged.

There will be changes to the format, it might not happen this year, in a pique of democracy they might even allow for promotion.
The fact remains that most of the 12 big clubs are incredibly badly run, hugely in debt and some – in the case of Barcelona are finding it increasingly difficult to service this debt.

Barcelona and Real Madrid have both reportedly said privately that they are unable match the wage demands for Haaland – reportedly £71,000 per day for a four-hour training session, so what is the answer?
Control greed? Or chase it? Understandably they have chosen the latter.

The holier-than-thou attitude of UEFA is particularly grating, they created a moral vacuum by sucking the life blood out of the game. Creating a Champions League where most teams were not champions, making fans travel to finals in Azerbaijan when even pre-Covid it was almost impossible.

The clubs who were shunned have announced their opposition to the Super League like teenagers not being invited to the coolest high school party. You know full well they would love to be seen rubbing shoulders with the school’s glitterati, but having failed to receive an invite they ‘didn’t really want to attend anyway’ Let’s take two examples, Sevilla in Spain and Everton – ruthlessly exploiting the overseas markets for years, ignoring their fans to play pre-season friendlies in China and the United States and now opposed because football is 'for the fans'.

The owners of the 12 have got it very wrong, but absent from all the faux hyperbole is the fact that most club owners have no idea about running a league. They have shown complete organisational and financial ineptitude in running their own clubs for many years and have survived by continually stroking the golden TV and streaming goose. The lack of Super League relegation and promotion is clear evidence of their complete lack of understanding of how a competition actually works. Let’s be clear, this is not a closed shop by grand philosophical design, it is a closed shop due to the triumph of incompetence over sanity.

Similarly, the lack of consultation with managers – see Jurgen Klopp, being asked to perform the role of the Mad Hatter falling into a nebulous black hole explaining how Liverpool were aiming to qualify for a competition that they will not enter next year. This was not carefully planned nefarious trickery on part of the owners, they simply forgot to include Brian from operations in the memo. The tiny neocortex section of the brain of a football owner is unable to see the consequences of taking more than half an enlightened step forward as it requires more brain power than the 12 have combined.

Most obsequious of all are the toadying comments from the authorities and individuals desperately trying to clamber aboard the grovel train laden with the fawning or should that be fauxning respect for fans.

Where was the moral outrage from players, UEFA, the Premier league and broadcasters when they took football away from 3pm on a Saturday? it was our game, we worked hard all week and wanted one afternoon to relax. We may be safe for the moment but tolerate this and our league will be next. Money copies money's ideas.

Where was the moral outrage when Hull City fans had to travel to Southampton on a Monday evening arriving back at 5:30am ?

Where was the moral outrage when fans were charged thousands of pounds for tickets?

Where was the moral outrage when Bury went bust for much less than the total of a day’s salary of Premier League footballers?

Be outraged by the Super League but please spare us the phony concern for fans. Tell it like it is, the owners have found a way to make more money than you. You have ridden the gravy train to the airport and the owners are now climbing aboard their private jets and closing the doors to everyone.

The game was stolen from fans many years ago when the steamroller of finance crushed the spirit of Shankly, Busby et al. It is one reason why supporting Argyle is so much more satisfying, we have so much more of an emotional connection to the club.

Let’s be realistic, money talks, of course owners have to look out for themselves and exploit new revenue streams they are running a business after all.

The game had to move on but there was an alternative, clubs like Borussia Dortmund have managed to progress and take fans along for the ride.

Football could have traveled to the future with a soul, body and a heartbeat rather than just a grubby pair of outstretched hands.

Great post.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Never mind European Super League, let’s just call it for what it is/will become - the Global Plastics Cartel because the yanks, Chinese etc will be the primary market for this abomination, the vast majority of whom will never come within 100 miles of the grounds of the teams they support. :furious:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Also it's not the European Super League, it's just the Super League. The 'European' bit has been left out for a reason.

So be in no doubt that you'll see a franchise soon set up in Shanghai, New York, Kuala Lumpur etc etc.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Biggs":14e7dusm said:
Also it's not the European Super League, it's just the Super League. The 'European' bit has been left out for a reason.

So be in no doubt that you'll see a franchise soon set up in Shanghai, New York, Kuala Lumpur etc etc.
Yes, I was wondering to myself whether one or any of the dirty dozen would even contemplate doing an MK Dons and up sticks to a new location in the future like they seem to do in the NFL. I mean, they’ll have precious ‘home’ fans to think about (as if) so it would make sense for them to move where their market is?

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Morally its wrong and i feel in a way for the fans. However the simple truth is

All the teams named are the richest teams who win their domestic leagues anyway.

Those teams have caused the issues by spending too much on players and wages. Stopping other teams from ever getting close to winning the league.

The fans will still go to watch, will still buy shirts and merch.

Fifa will want the best players at the world cups and they havent got the balls to ban them.

I dont support any teams of the teams so dont care except for the knock on effect of lower teams not having those magical days out at a prem club.

Its a balls test now see who blinks first

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
I feel much better about it now that the president of Real Madrid has clearly explained the motivations behind it.

It's not about money at all. It's simply a move to ensure the game doesn't die. You see, football is a dying game as youngsters spend far more time playing tiddlywinks, sniffing glue, watching bake off, cock fighting, fighting the injustices of global capitalism and posting photos of their own arses on Instagram.

Therefore, the Super League is a necessary competition to ensure that football doesn't die a death in a similar way that sports such as goose pulling, jousting and Knattleikr did.

Fear not everyone - football is saved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56812151

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There's been no PR exercise from the representatives of the Big Six (lol), no explaining of what the Super League actually is, no start date, no press conference, no media launch, no fixture list, no information whatsoever apart from football needs saving!

There's been one announcement very late on Sunday night UK time.

It's a shambles even before it starts!

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Klopp appeared surprised that Leeds fans booed them last night!

Never an Everton fan but they laid into the big six today - good on 'em.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":3hvapaj3 said:
There's been no PR exercise from the representatives of the Big Six (lol), no explaining of what the Super League actually is, no start date, no press conference, no media launch, no fixture list, no information whatsoever apart from football needs saving!

There's been one announcement very late on Sunday night UK time.

It's a shambles even before it starts!

One of the things I was worried about with all the previous Super League rumours, is that when it came it would be a super slick, subtle, palatable presentation that would get a lot of people on board.

I'm surprised and delighted that they've completely f****d it up, though still wary of a huge charm offensive and pots of money being thrown at the pyramid.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
Martyn":2rjgcch7 said:
Purely for the sake of balance, and to get an idea of the other side, does anybody actually agree that this is a good idea, and will go for it.

Purely for the sake of discussion. Because of the lack of clarity by the owners of the’big 6’.

Yes, me. It will be the saving of football, IF UEFA stick to their guns and kick them out and the PL/FL undergo rapid structural reorganisation with governmental help to insist on proper fan involvement/ownership.

Businesses should be free to trade with whomsoever they like and to join whatever organisations and structures they like, provided they understand that membership of one organisation may well preclude membership of another. I don't see why this is controversial - nor do I see what role Government has in preserving the income streams of twenty or so first and second tier clubs who have mortgaged everything in pursuit of an impossible dream.

The hypocrisy and myopia of those who cheered from the rafters when the PL was formed, just as ignominiously, who now are crying into their beer would be enraging if it were not so amusing. For Gary Neville and his ilk, who benefitted the most from the PL and who have been taking the Sky shilling since forever, to be making impassioned rants about football losing its soul is nauseating. If the English authorities play this right they will win the PR war (which the ESL have no interest in fighting anyway) and will, after a period of adjustment, be able to safeguard the game structurally and financially for decades to come.

I've seen so much comment today about how the ESL have "underestimated fans' reaction". This has to be the most shortsighted take since the formation of the League itself. Repeat after me fellas: the ESL *do not care* about legacy fans. They *do not care* if every single fan of the Six never puts another penny into their clubs - because they pay off from the Far East, Indian sub-continent, the Middle East and the US *far* outstrips the revenue they get from this tiny island. So fan reaction as a means of opposition is *pointless*. Check the stock prices of the ESL clubs. Check the fact JP Morgan is bankrolling them. The opportunity for the biggest leeches in the game to be gone and for the game to have a chance to reset itself, particularly in the light of Covid, is a *fantastic* one for those of us who truly believe in football as a real community asset, rather than a fake one. Fans should be celebrating and cheering, not protesting. Just please, PLEASE, take the Glasgow Ugly Sisters with them.