Morecambe! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Morecambe!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Adams got us relegated us with a better team than we have now, when the League was, in my view, weaker.

He's doing a brilliant job at Morecambe, but lets not rewrite history, he gave us some good times but ultimately he took us from L2 to L2 in four years.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
jespafc":2gq9qc8i said:
Watching Adams' team vs. watching this current Argyle team...

I know which I would pick.

Carey, Lameiras, Ladapo, Bradley, Threlkeld, Sarcevic, Fox, Jervis, Songo'o, Makasi, Grant, etc, etc

There is no contest.

Then watch them score one, all attacking players being subbed for defenders and we hope for 25 minutes the defence can hold. We inevitably concede in 90th minute as we all expected and go home grumpy.

Adams' football was dire bar the odd moment of magic from Carey/Ruben.

Let the past not be forgotten! I never found that promotion season enjoyable, he threw away being Champions in the last game and he got a strong, easily upper midtable side relegated.

He's done a great job at Morecambe I agree, I won't want him back though.

Nov 27, 2020
You don't have to pick sides for everything. I think everyone agrees DA is doing an excellent job with Morecombe but that he didn't do a good job for us.

We made no progress under him for 4 years and ended up right back where we started. Arguably worse off.

SH replaced him and back up into L1 we went and stayed.

Jul 12, 2004
I'm quite amused about the comment about re-writing history. Do you realise that the defensive minded team that got relegated scored 56 goals that season. Have a look and note that the 'attack minded' team we have at present has scored 51 goals. Does anyone believe that we will score 5 goals in the remaining three games.

I always maintained that the problem with Derek Adams' teams was the better away record than home. When I went away to watch I expected Argyle to win that is never the case now. A lot of the bad games were at home.

I am hoping that Argyle and Morecambe are in the same division next year as Morecambe is one of my favourite places.

Dec 30, 2020
The idea that our style of play was 'dire' or 'defensive' or 'negative' under Adams is genuinely one of the most crazed opinions about football I have ever read.

He was probably the most attack-minded manager we've had in the 20+ years I've been a supporter, and the football we played in his first three seasons was the most exciting we've produced over that period.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
greenpilled":28yb12b0 said:
The idea that our style of play was 'dire' or 'defensive' or 'negative' under Adams is genuinely one of the most crazed opinions about football I have ever read.

He was probably the most attack-minded manager we've had in the 20+ years I've been a supporter, and the football we played in his first three seasons was the most exciting we've produced over that period.
Seconded. Just because we sat back on leads doesn't mean that the initial product before that wasn't exciting.

His downfall (along with falling out with everyone possible) was that his team's shape was too attacking, not too defensive.

Mar 23, 2008
greenpilled":276icja2 said:

Each their own and all that but don't see that at all. In fairness he was a good talent spotter and I'm sure we will all be forever grateful for seeing Graham Carey in green. However the promotion season was turgid and flat compared to other such campaigns.

Jul 27, 2005
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":1fxp55kw said:
Adams got us relegated us with a better team than we have now, when the League was, in my view, weaker.

He's doing a brilliant job at Morecambe, but lets not rewrite history, he gave us some good times but ultimately he took us from L2 to L2 in four years.
On current showing, there's a chance that Lowe could do the same in three!

Dec 30, 2020
Deacster":1c4ln7vz said:
greenpilled":1c4ln7vz said:

Each their own and all that but don't see that at all. In fairness he was a good talent spotter and I'm sure we will all be forever grateful for seeing Graham Carey in green. However the promotion season was turgid and flat compared to other such campaigns.

If I was ranking my favourite Argyle seasons, I would certainly put 2002 and 2004 above 2017 - so I do see what you're saying to an extent.

But 'turgid and flat' for me must be a case of the memory playing tricks. Even if you accept that description, we've had something like 6 promotions in about 50 years (one in an incomplete season, and two in a three year spell). Using the overwhelming majority of Argyle's history as an alternative yardstick, the excitement levels of 2016/17 compare extremely favourably.

Thinking of the 6-1 win over Newport to seal promotion, comeback wins over Crawley (last minute) and Crewe in the run-in, beating Exeter 3-0, the two cup ties with Liverpool... I was there for all of them... Epic games, tremendous performances from Argyle and Home Park or the relevant away end was absolutely rocking for each one.

If anyone had suggested at the time that it was 'turgid and flat' they'd have been laughed out of the ground.

Mar 14, 2009
All this looking back at a man who effectively failed after four years in charge.

I find it worrying that fans can even justify he was a success when he finished his Argyle tenure in the same league as he started it.

It’s biased nonsense. It’s bizarre.

You can say in parts he did a good job. You can argue about the merits of the promotion. The style of our football. Yet facts are facts. He started his managerial Argyle career in league two. He ended it by overseeing us relegated back to it.

There is no debate after four years. There is just so weird, rewriting of history to justify peoples ridiculous points about a manager who failed.

Let it go.

Mar 18, 2014
you could say that about every Argyle manager. We joined in 1920 in the 3rd level and we are still in the 3rd level now. 100 years of second-rate mediocrity....................but still we love Argyle to our core (most of us anyway)

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
jespafc":2ykxfafd said:
Watching Adams' team vs. watching this current Argyle team...

I know which I would pick.

Carey, Lameiras, Ladapo, Bradley, Threlkeld, Sarcevic, Fox, Jervis, Songo'o, Makasi, Grant, etc, etc

There is no contest.
Not sure about Carey in goal.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Metal_Green_Mickey":1lx67zxh said:
All this looking back at a man who effectively failed after four years in charge.

I find it worrying that fans can even justify he was a success when he finished his Argyle tenure in the same league as he started it.

It’s biased nonsense. It’s bizarre.

You can say in parts he did a good job. You can argue about the merits of the promotion. The style of our football. Yet facts are facts. He started his managerial Argyle career in league two. He ended it by overseeing us relegated back to it.

There is no debate after four years. There is just so weird, rewriting of history to justify peoples ridiculous points about a manager who failed.

Let it go.

So by your logic the Norwich manager failed? He took Norwich back to the Championship.

But wait, he was given time to get them back up again. So then he was a success again? Weird how that works I guess.