Morecambe! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Morecambe!

Mar 14, 2009
jespafc":r7y6du9p said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":r7y6du9p said:
All this looking back at a man who effectively failed after four years in charge.

I find it worrying that fans can even justify he was a success when he finished his Argyle tenure in the same league as he started it.

Itā€™s biased nonsense. Itā€™s bizarre.

You can say in parts he did a good job. You can argue about the merits of the promotion. The style of our football. Yet facts are facts. He started his managerial Argyle career in league two. He ended it by overseeing us relegated back to it.

There is no debate after four years. There is just so weird, rewriting of history to justify peoples ridiculous points about a manager who failed.

Let it go.

So by your logic the Norwich manager failed? He took Norwich back to the Championship.

But wait, he was given time to get them back up again. So then he was a success again? Weird how that works I guess.

Not really. Norwich had one of the worst 3 budgetā€™s in the premier league. Argyle didnā€™t have the fourth worst budget in league one.

By my logic, Farkeā€™s Norwich team were expected to be relegated. Adams team, after finishing 7th the season before in league one, were not expected to finish 21st.

Then letā€™s take into account the gulf in money in the premier league between those teams. Your on a hiding to nothing. Argyle under Adams wouldnā€™t of had great financial backing but he would of had a competitive budget. You canā€™t honestly say Farkeā€™s budget was competitive.

So basically if Adams had a relegation budget then it wouldnā€™t of been a failure as he would of over achieved. Farkeā€™s Norwich to survive would of needed to over achieve. They didnā€™t. They just finished where they were expected to finish. Adams finished in a position we didnā€™t expect and under achieved.

Dec 30, 2011
edmonds200":3752oyku said:
What another brilliant job Derek is doing! Again proving what great manager he is. Remember we were 7th in his first season in League 1. Just those last 8 games in his second season in League 1 cost us. Not looking forward to getting beat by Yann, Toums and co next season. Still I suppose people are still satisfied with the best salesman this club has ever had at the helm

Great, but I wouldn't want him back.

Mar 24, 2019
gaspargomez":1f84z09u said:
I wonder what Adams could have achieved with the playing budget that Lowe has been given ?
What was the playing budget for this year ? ..what was it in adams time ? ..would be interesting to know .

jespafc

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
He got us up once and would've done so again. Like he has now got Morecambe (a team with one of the smallest budgets in the FL) to within a few points of a very unlikely automatic promotion.

I think his record speaks for itself.

I imagine Argyle's budget in L1 is still on the low side comparatively, so promotion was never a serious ambition at that time. His players seemed to down tools...much like Lowe's now...but Lowe encourages the keeper and centre backs to pass between each other so the football is better than when Carey and Lameiras tore teams apart.

Jul 24, 2009
I'm all for giving managers time subject to us not falling below an absolute minimum threshold, for me that would be not get relegated from league one. I would have in all likelihood been advocating sticking with Adams had we say got to 55 points and stayed up albeit disappointingly following the 7th place finish but the fact is he took us down, and after 3 up and down years of overall success his final year was a catastrophe. I'd be interested to know why it went so wrong, I suspect he bit off more than he could chew with the 'Head of Football' role and something went wrong with his focus on recruitment the final summer. In any case things had gone sufficiently wrong that it was the right decision to call time when we did.

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
edmonds200":1qvyyad5 said:
What another brilliant job Derek is doing! Again proving what great manager he is. Remember we were 7th in his first season in League 1. Just those last 8 games in his second season in League 1 cost us. Not looking forward to getting beat by Yann, Toums and co next season. Still I suppose people are still satisfied with the best salesman this club has ever had at the helm

Of course you are.

Dec 30, 2020
third earl of jean":2fmazgb0 said:
I'm all for giving managers time subject to us not falling below an absolute minimum threshold, for me that would be not get relegated from league one. I would have in all likelihood been advocating sticking with Adams had we say got to 55 points and stayed up albeit disappointingly following the 7th place finish but the fact is he took us down, and after 3 up and down years of overall success his final year was a catastrophe. I'd be interested to know why it went so wrong, I suspect he bit off more than he could chew with the 'Head of Football' role and something went wrong with his focus on recruitment the final summer. In any case things had gone sufficiently wrong that it was the right decision to call time when we did.

That's a good summary. It was very definitely time for Adams to go - his relationship with Argyle fans and players was obviously irreparable and actually the parting of ways has gone well for both sides.

He himself would perhaps recognise that 4 years is a very good stint in modern management (in terms of games played, he's Argyle's longest serving manager for nearly half a century).

For that reason though, I think that using the fact that he took over and left us in League 2 is a pretty moronic framework for judging his work here.

Football isn't a linear progression towards some distant goal, it's about enjoying the games in the here and now. Every club suffers setbacks and every manager makes mistakes. Brian Clough took over and left Nottingham Forest in the second division, so does that mean he was a failure? Jurgen Klopp left Borussia Dortmund and now potentially Liverpool outside the Champions League places.

With Adams we got three consecutive seasons of winning (objectively) and exciting (my opinion, but I can't fathom how people see it otherwise) football. He made some monumental transfer errors in the summer of 2018 and obviously his final season was terrible, but most of his time here was good and his record before and since, with far more successful than unsuccessful seasons, prove what a great manager he is.

Sep 15, 2020
why have 5 pages re another club been allowed on an Argyle site ??!!!
Why all the discussion re a man who we all know split the fanbase - can't we just leave it ay that ""

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Mog In Truro":17xcr0rs said:
Why all the discussion re a man who we all know split the fanbase - can't we just leave it ay that ""
Here, here!

Ditto 15 pages on the the now dead ESL. Just bury it and pretend it never happened.

Mar 14, 2009
Mog In Truro":27t9j89h said:

The truth is it detracts from us talking about the current issues we have.

The football we currently play isnā€™t much better.The defensive issues we currently have are probably worse. Our attacking play is limp and punchless.

Itā€™s no good saying this is how we are going to play. Itā€™s just words. You need to produce it on the pitch. These past few months have been no difference to watching an Adams team in its last few months in league one.

We talk about this football is better than it was under Adams. I donā€™t think it is. The only difference is our mentality is to try and win a game of football. After that first whistle is blown though we create very little as an attacking unit and have very little threat.

Iā€™m not an Adams fan. However, l think the reason this thread exists is because we currently have no more of a footballing identity under Lowe, than we did Adams.

That is so sad when off the pitch we have a vision. Unfortunately, on the pitch we play nothing like it currently.

leeroy221

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
May 10, 2015
Anyone slating DA's style of football, ever thought that he just knew how to get a team out of these lowly devisions? Maybe in the champ he would consolidate and then build the next chapter? We will never know.

RL on the other hand plays this supposed wonderfull passing football brand but its not working in these two leagues.

Also, remember how almost everyone on here was saying we wpuld take a finishing place of 1 above the drop, and take hidings along the way, as long as we stay up...short memories for some i guess. I dont condone last nights performanc but, it was expected from the start we would get handed some.

Feb 24, 2008
For goodness sake. I couldn't give a Toss about Morecambe or Derek Adams. This Love In with Adams drives me Nuts. He's gone, this is Now. When will Fans just Friggin Well move on. :furious:

Jan 27, 2012
doozer":3iwf6hne said:
gaspargomez":3iwf6hne said:
I wonder what Adams could have achieved with the playing budget that Lowe has been given ?
What was the playing budget for this year ? ..what was it in adams time ? ..would be interesting to know .

Obviously we donā€™t know the numbers. But given the players that Lowe has signed (including those involving transfer fees) I think itā€™s reasonable to assume that he has benefited from better funding than Adams did, particularly under Brent.

Dec 30, 2020
Bedfordgreens":1vggvyhb said:
For goodness sake. I couldn't give a Toss about Morecambe or Derek Adams. This Love In with Adams drives me Nuts. He's gone, this is Now. When will Fans just Friggin Well move on. :furious:

If you don't like it ignore it or start a thread about something you'd prefer to discuss

The implication is that this topic is preventing some discussion of critical importance from taking place, but absolutely nothing posted on here is of any kind of consequence. Do you think we're ever going to change our formation because of the endless threads on here about Ryan Lowe's tactics? Of course not! It's just a bit of fun.

For some people that involves chewing over different periods of Argyle's history and it's not for you to police that.