Sleepwalking into possible relegation trouble | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Sleepwalking into possible relegation trouble

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Dan Ellard":4fr7570z said:
If I see one more person making a comparison between now and 2019...

The furthest we were clear of the drop zone that season, at ANY stage, was 7 points. At this stage in that season, we were 2 points clear. Right now, we're 10 points clear.

Let's assume that Rochdale win all 4 games, very unlikely in itself but let's say that they do.

We then have to get 0 points, also extremely unlikely - as I've said in a previous post, even cr*p teams win sometimes.

Wigan then have to show title-winning form over their remaining games. Not impossible, but pretty damn unlikely.

And because Rochdale have won all their games, that means they've beaten Wimbledon. Meaning that the latter also have to show playoff form to catch us.

There is not a semblance of a chance that we go down. Quote this, screenshot it, whatever. This is nothing like two years ago. We have done enough already to stay up. Am I happy with this season? No. Has Lowe done a good job this season? Not really, no. Do we need to do much better next year? Course we do. But will we be in League 1 next year? Course we bloody will.

Argyle ain't getting relegated but I think it is quite likely they will get nil points from Oxford away, Sunderland home & Gillingham away !

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
German Shepherd":2ax2j607 said:
Dan Ellard":2ax2j607 said:

The furthest we were clear of the drop zone that season, at ANY stage, was 7 points. At this stage in that season, we were 2 points clear. Right now, we're 10 points clear.

Let's assume that Rochdale win all 4 games, very unlikely in itself but let's say that they do.

We then have to get 0 points, also extremely unlikely - as I've said in a previous post, even cr*p teams win sometimes.

Wigan then have to show title-winning form over their remaining games. Not impossible, but pretty damn unlikely.

And because Rochdale have won all their games, that means they've beaten Wimbledon. Meaning that the latter also have to show playoff form to catch us.

There is not a semblance of a chance that we go down. Quote this, screenshot it, whatever. This is nothing like two years ago. We have done enough already to stay up. Am I happy with this season? No. Has Lowe done a good job this season? Not really, no. Do we need to do much better next year? Course we do. But will we be in League 1 next year? Course we bloody will.

Argyle ain't getting relegated but I think it is quite likely they will get nil points from Oxford away, Sunderland home & Gillingham away !

That'll do. :clap:
In Devonshire when we say 'That'll do' it means that it has to ******* do cos it's all we're going to ******* get!! :scarf:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
German Shepherd":18y12mvo said:
Dan Ellard":18y12mvo said:

We'll scrape a point somewhere.

Jul 12, 2016
Dan Ellard":1uir8xlq said:

I sincerely hope you're right.

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
PL2 3DQ":2rtcw3g7 said:
It's being made out that it's between us and Rochdale to go down, it's not. Burton, Shrewsbury, Wigan and Wimbledon also have to go above us, so five teams have to overhaul us for us to be relegated.

The bookies don't even have us in the frame, Shrewsbury are 200/1 to be relegated.
Sky have us at 1500-1 to go down. I've put £1 on it for the sake of my panicky Dad who's lost all confidence - said I'd buy him a consolation pint or two if the worst happens.

But I fully expect to be £1 down on 8th May.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I'm another 'panicky dad' and I told my sons of the Sky odds yesterday and to stick a quid on, just in case.

I know deep down we are virtually safe but, and I'm sorry Dan Ellard, I really thought the same two years ago, so until we are mathematically safe I won't be relaxing.

I'm not sure I could face another season or more in the basement.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I support Ryan Lowe because he is our manager and that is what I have done for over 60 years, whoever is our manager.
However, I have to say that he has made bad mistakes in his recruitment by relying on inexperienced loan players, particularly in our defensive set up.
In fairness to supporters on this Argyle forum, a high proportion of us have been saying this since before this season started.
I have thought that he has had a ‘blind spot’ about recruiting the type of defenders we need in League 1.
He, obviously, decided that Canavan, Wootton and Sawyer would serve him well back in League 1 but we were concerned that they had not been able to keep us from relegation from this league in the previous year.
Unfortunately, Sawyer has been unavailable due to injury, Wootton did not play well and Canavan, generally, performed reasonably well with one or two exceptions but decided that he wanted to leave in January.
I think that, in hindsight, we should have persuaded him to honour his contract and then not offered him an extension.
The chaotic defending on Tuesday night has to be RL’s responsibility because they are HIS players. They played as a group of individuals with no teamwork and no-one to organise them in their defensive formation.
As examples, their 2nd goal came when the striker was not tracked by his marker. Their 3rd happened after Edwards shot straight at their keeper who quickly throws it out to the halfway line and McLeod, covering for Edwards, gives the winger yards of space to cross into the 6 yard box and the ball somehow goes in via 2 deflections. Their 4th looked so easy. 6 of our players were clustered together on the left side in our half and 2 of their players were left unchallenged on the other side. It really was Sunday league defending. Their 5th, another where none of our defenders was within 5 yards of the scorer and the 6th where a chip into the box found their sub unmarked. The same player then missed a ‘sitter’ for a 7th.
Roll on 14:00 on 9th May.

Mar 14, 2009
oldage":1il0abwr said:
Dan Ellard":1il0abwr said:

I sincerely hope you're right.

Argyle need a win or Rochdale not to win. An Argyle point isn’t enough. It would leave us on 54 points. Remember if Argyle draw one and lose two their goal difference would be worse than what it is now. If Rochdale were to win all four (unlikely but then Leicester won the Premier league at four times the odds Argyle are to be relegated) then their goal difference would be better than ours.

I’m sure we are safe. However, the fact we are on here talking about other teams results going our way in order to survive says something about the belief in the current team to win a game of football. And yet here were are debating if we had a good season or not.