Enver Yucel (Basketball). | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Enver Yucel (Basketball).

Aug 24, 2008
Raiders owner has a business in Plymouth and wants them to be the best in the country - the hike from £3k per game to £9k is disproportionate.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
So, PAVS want £9k (if true) as that's what they can get for other work, why should they not charge £9k?

Or do they have to subsidise aforementioned Turkish Billionaire?

Aug 24, 2008
They were subsidising previous owners of club Mollard and Mackenzie and isn’t the gentleman from Turkey the owner of majority shares rather like when Argyles now owner purchased from Brent. Seems a similar scenario. Apparently PAVS will still welcome Raiders and Raiders would love to stay with PAVS - however there may be an immovable force at play here.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Why should the Pavilions subsidise the Raiders then? I knew they were in trouble under the previous owners (very very keen fans) but now they have a rich owner, surely he has to pay the proper rates for holding a game.

As I say, the word is that he wants to relocate to a 'bigger city', sad, but the owner must do what he thinks necessary I as suppose. Shame for the fans, but it must stand on its own two feet.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
The sad thing about this is that on the court Raiders are having an excellent season, and Plymouth can ill afford to lose any successful sports teams in the area.

Nov 10, 2010
IJN":20lxwoq9 said:
Why should the Pavilions subsidise the Raiders then? I knew they were in trouble under the previous owners (very very keen fans) but now they have a rich owner, surely he has to pay the proper rates for holding a game.

As I say, the word is that he wants to relocate to a 'bigger city', sad, but the owner must do what he thinks necessary I as suppose. Shame for the fans, but it must stand on its own two feet.

To put in perspective. The London lions are the only team that pay more rent currently than the Raiders.

Witch is fair as they have I think a 6000 seater stadium that was used at the olympics.

Raiders only have a 1000 seater stadium.

If the raiders agree to this price hike it will cost them more than it does London lions to host a game. The only difference is raiders have only 1000 seats to sell lions 6000.

On top of that the turkish billionaire owner could have invested in another team in London called the London city royals ( they have now gone out of business) but instead wanted to invest in Plymouth as he has several educational facilities down here.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
So Bob Widdecombe made a big mistake then when he turned down a deal with the Life Centre who wanted to create a purpose built home for the Raiders didn't he? What was all that all about? :crazy:

Aug 24, 2008
Tell us more please. Not sure the Life Centre could accommodate Raiders and spectators in the current format. However perhaps you (IJN) know more about the history as you appear to know more about the current situation. It just seems that people who like and follow their sport in Plymouth ALWAYS get the thin edge of the wedge no matter who or what is involved !!!!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I can remember way back when BW was offered a purpose made hall in the Life Centre, but he much preferred the bigger and more glitzy Pavs.

I might have got the timeline wrong but it was either just during or just before Lenszner started all his financial shenanigans.

That’s all I know buddy but I can’t even remember how I know that. It was certainly pre Argyle’s troubles.

Money went missing, far far too many free tickets were given out etc etc. I can remember a £57k shortfall at the time.

Aug 24, 2008
Take it by BE you mean BW - Bob Widdicombe - perhaps the purpose hall would not have provided 1500 spectators - I would have been surprised if it did on the site that they built the Life Centre on. I can certainly remember James Brent suggesting Raiders play their games at the Life Centre when it appeared the Pavillions might not be available. Whatever the whys and wherefores what a brilliant opportunity to bring the two gentlemen together to try and provide a facility to enhance the City and who knows there might even be mutual agreement from which both Clubs could benefit. Let’s get them talking at least.