Torquay anyone ? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Torquay anyone ?

Aug 8, 2013
Alan Turing":2ucp6ojh said:
I have a soft spot for Torquay too.

Many times my son and I have travelled up to see them play (when Argyle haven’t been at home) and had a meal in No 10s Restaurant before the game - I recommend it!

Same here. A couple of years ago, I took my son on a on a day trip to Paignton Zoo then Plainmoor.
Admitted to being an Argyle fan to people I talked to before the game, including the Torquay
right back, but was very warmly received, and enjoyed a meal and a beer in the No. 10s before watching
United win. I was also very impressed to see 200 to 300 away fans at a level 6 game. Felt that could only happen in England.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Sutton’s defeat tonight against Notts County massive for Torquay. 4 points clear, but Sutton have a game in hand.

Aug 10, 2006
add me when Argyle were at home on a Saturday Torquay used to kick off in the evening watched many a game in the 80s Sheffield united and wolves when they were in the old 4th division, funniest thing I seen was about 10 wigan lads take there end, good luck Torquay.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Whitleigh 1952 Green":3qbzseyy said:
Been supporting them since 1957. Great club. Take my grandson there when we are not at Home Park.
That was an exciting time at Torquay. So, did you witness their brush with promotion to the old Div 2? They just had to win their last fixture and they were up. But they drew away to Palace while Ipswich won 2-0 at the Dell. Ipswich went up on goal average. 4 years later Town won the Second Division. A season later they won the First Division, while Torquay were getting relegated to the 4th. And they have never been closer in all the intervening years.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Great result for them tonight, with Sutton losing at Notts County after Hartlepool had already lost yesterday.

Automatic promotion is back in their own hands with only 4 games to play.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
demportdave":2w4vdc8p said:
Great result for them tonight, with Sutton losing at Notts County after Hartlepool had already lost yesterday.

Automatic promotion is back in their own hands with only 4 games to play.

A 94th minute penalty winner for Notts County.

Jul 18, 2011
I spent two years living in St Marychurch about 50 yards from Plainmoor so used to pop along quite often, especially as they played their home games in the evening then.

Always the second score I look for.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Had a mate at Uni who was a big Torquay fan. Always had a soft spot for them. Pleased to see them on the right track. Last time I saw them was a couple of seasons ago away at Gloucester City. It wasn’t pleasant. The fans were v unhappy leading to one throwing coffee over their manager as he was leaving the pitch. Right next to me and my lad. A mate’s son was playing for Gloucester and it was a sour atmosphere all round. Hopefully, that’s all behind them now and they can make it back into the league.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
phil-thefluter24":3ow0k7ne said:
i grew up in Paignton in the 50s &60s so Torquay Utd were my first proper taste of football. Sammy Collins & Don Mills were the star turns. Collins regularly scored in the region of 40 goals a season how much would he have been worth today!
Eric Webber was Player Manager! imagine that a player manager in lge football. A fine centre half he was too. My biggest memory of the 50s was when we played a fine Birmingham City with Astall , Govern ,Boyd, & i think Gil Merrick who was Englands goalie at the time if i remember correctly. Any way we ended up getting thrashed 7-1 by Brum on their way to the cup final where they lost to Man City.
The closest they ever came to playing in the old 2nd Division was in 1957 when they lost out on the final match of the season on goal average as it was then known to Ipswich Town managed by a certain Alf Ramsey !
Torquay did have a fine side in the late 60s with Stubbs Pym Bond Mitchin & should/ could have got promoted then . I believe Frank O Farrell later to become Man Utd manager was in charge around that time .
Also remember in the 60 s being at Plainmoor when we played Spurs in the cup , losing 3-1 with minutes to go & up popped Robin Stubbs with 2 late goals to end up 3-3 the ground erupted! Unfortunately lost the replay 5-1 but had our moment
Happy times when it was "proper" football & the cursed money grabbing Premiership was just a distant night mare in the future
So hope they get promoted this season best of luck United
What gave that near miss a little bit more spice was that Ramsey and Webber were team mates at Southampton just after WW2. Many Torquay fans belive Southtown played a weakened side in that last game with Ipswich. That overlooks (a) the Webber connection and (b) more importantly, it simply wasn't true!

Jul 6, 2011
We had a relative, Ernie Leonard who played for Torquay. It was a while ago though, 1909 actually, he was in their championship team. He went off to Canada and carried on playing, for the Devonians.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Hoping for a preseason friendly. this year.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I think I'll be watching two loosely Argyle related games tomorrow.

Derby v Sheff Wed at 12.30, the loser going down to League 1. And Torquay v Bromley is on BT at 5.20pm, huge game for them.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":1cbrn7h6 said:
I think I'll be watching two loosely Argyle related games tomorrow.

Derby v Sheff Wed at 12.30, the loser going down to League 1. And Torquay v Bromley is on BT at 5.20pm, huge game for them.
A Rotherham win could send them both down if its either a Wednesday win or a draw. Rotherham will have their work cut out away to Cardiff though.