Gillingham v Plymouth Argyle - the build up | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Gillingham v Plymouth Argyle - the build up

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Yes, I was there for that game. I think it was 4-1 when the fog rolled in. It was probably the highlight of the match!

Pretty sure we were stood to the side though, in line with the penalty area, as opposed to behind the goal.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
jerryatricjanner":3ctxopl5 said:
A notable absentee from they played for both is Mike Bickle who joined Gillingham from Argyle.
Also Mike Green and Mike Trusson.

Dec 20, 2011
Alan Turing":38cgbay9 said:
oddball":38cgbay9 said:
There used to be a rickety old stand behind one of the goals that was called the Brian Moore Stand ...it was an open stand and the wind used to rip in from the Medway....don't know if it is still there....I used to go there regularly and meet up with Putney Pete.....never saw an Argyle win...

Yes, it’s still there - still rickety!

A rickety stand in a Rickety Town..........an awful place.

Apr 5, 2008
Dreadful run of form,and no win at Gillingham for 40 years :thumbup: Argyle to win then.. :scarf: :coat:

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
cheshiregreen":kxj1rzly said:
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/eight-plymouth-argyle-academy-products-5387374.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Good number of academy graduates in squad for Gillingham.

Shows what a fantastic job did when Kevin Hogdes was running the academy, I wonder if Argyle will regret getting rid of him.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
jerryatricjanner":3a34vnoo said:
A notable absentee from they played for both is Mike Bickle who joined Gillingham from Argyle.
I was staying in Gillingham for a week. I went to watch them on the Saturday and on the Tuesday went to watch them train. I had a chat with Andy Nelson as he got into his VW Variant, which I had recognised from his time here. I mentioned that I had been to their game on the Saturday and how toothless they looked. I mentioned the fact that Mike Bickle seemed out of favour at HP and maybe he should have a look. When I returned to work in Plymouth a few days later I mentioned the conversation I had with Andy Nelson. People were rolling around the mess room floor laughing. "As if any professional manager would listen to you" was the general flavour of the conversations. A few days later I was again the topic of conversation in the mess room but for the completely opposite reason. And the main doubter of my initial news was the one getting stick!!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Willis88":103vcn97 said:
Doesn't look like any coverage on radio Devon today

What about tomorrow? :)

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
dunlop":4hhcqfz2 said:
cheshiregreen":4hhcqfz2 said:
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/eight-plymouth-argyle-academy-products-5387374.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Shows what a fantastic job did when Kevin Hogdes was running the academy, I wonder if Argyle will regret getting rid of him.

Last time we went to Gillingham on last day of a season, DA played Sangster, Battle and Alex Fletcher. We had just missed chance of play off spot and lost 5-2.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I can't help thinking with the law of sod, 40 years since a win there and Argyle on truly dreadful form, that this is a nailed-on 3 points. Gillingham's home record this season isn't anything that special either.

However, then again, Gillingham are a team that doesn't rely on possession of the ball at all, battering teams at set pieces. That doesn't bode well for us.

Argyle to have 60%+ of the ball and to lose 2-1. That's my guess.

Feb 8, 2005
dunlop":1r1ncvkw said:
cheshiregreen":1r1ncvkw said:

It is Ryan Lowe who is giving them a chance, but there is no guarantee that any of them will make the grade.

If Hodges was that good where is the evidence that we were able to match Exeter City in their academy achievements?

I'm not saying Hodgey was not suitable for the job, but the fact that the Club went into administration would have affected the public impression of our academy, but so did Exeter City, remember? Where is our multi million pound striker, oh, Exeter City got him first!!

Hodgey will be remembered, quite rightly, for his dedication towards the Club during his playing days, but we will never know whether he was doing a good job at the academy.

Lousy_Pint":37ildwn5 said:
Yes, I was there for that game. I think it was 4-1 when the fog rolled in. It was probably the highlight of the match!

Pretty sure we were stood to the side though, in line with the penalty area, as opposed to behind the goal.

Yes, would have been Jan/Feb 1997. We were more or less in the corner to the left of the current away scaffolding.
"Come on you fog!"