Dan Scarr joins Argyle (two-year deal) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Dan Scarr joins Argyle (two-year deal)

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
cheshiregreen":1n1re7fg said:
Hey Owl

Could this young guy Urhgohide, who is leaving Hillsborough, do a job for Lowe?

Championship bound though?

Is he more of a full back than a central defender?

Hi Cheshire. He’s got plenty of potential and most Owls are pretty angry that more hasn’t been done to keep him. That said, he has not been an ever present last season as Lees and Borner were the preferred central defenders, although he can play anywhere in the defence. He has described working under Pulis (who froze him out) as being a real low point. I’d be surprised if he didn’t sign for a Championship side or perhaps a top L1 side. I’m sure Ryan Lowe is well aware of him, but can’t see him coming down here. There should be interest from bigger clubs. He would probably have had a real opportunity this season as Lees has been released. Maybe Lowe will sign HIM on! (He is injured at present).

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
briangreen":591sq195 said:
Always said we needed a no prisoners beast at the back, this man sounds the ticket to me.

Yep, this for me. As long as we feed him red meat before every game he'll do for me.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Railway sleeper":vkj4iikn said:
Railway sleeper":vkj4iikn said:
philevs":vkj4iikn said:
Walsall fans are hardly going to say he’s any good when he’s just turned them down and generally p’eed off with their club, are they!? Means nothing for me.

Agree with this- I think it’s important to put the fans’ comments in context... it’s bleak times at their football club at this time. They only won 11 games last season. The team finished 19th- just 8 points clear of relegation.

Manager Darrell Clarke left mid way through
the season, for port vale. Their newly
appointed manager, has no experience as a first team manager. Star striker Elijah
adebayo was sold to Luton on January transfer deadline day.

But amongst all this the Walsall defence ( of which Dan scarr was a central part) was always stron. They concede only 53 goals in 46 games.

So a key player- scarr- has rejected the club- just the next one in a serious of rejections- and how are we expecting the fans to react to yet another rejection ?

Bearing in mind scarr has already played 17 times in league 1 during his relatively limited professional career, to date; also that Birmingham city have signed him TWICE- once as a youngster and the second time for a fee from Stourbridge ( with a 2 1/2 year contract, and also that Ryan Lowe has seen something in him..... then I think I’ll reserve judgement on this one ( not withstanding the comments from Walsall fans) .....

Interesting to note, from a historical perspective, that scarr joins us at the same age as Graham coughlan did.... and, surprisingly, with slightly more, first team experience....

Good point, but would you say that Cocko's former club Livingstone played at a higher level in the SFL First Division than Dan Scarr played in the EFL Second Division? I am trying to make a better comparison.of skill level and experience.

Jul 28, 2020
Quintrell_Green":142flnvd said:
Railway sleeper":142flnvd said:
Railway sleeper":142flnvd said:
philevs":142flnvd said:
Walsall fans are hardly going to say he’s any good when he’s just turned them down and generally p’eed off with their club, are they!? Means nothing for me.

Agree with this- I think it’s important to put the fans’ comments in context... it’s bleak times at their football club at this time. They only won 11 games last season. The team finished 19th- just 8 points clear of relegation.

appointed manager, has no experience as a first team manager. Star striker Elijah

But amongst all this the Walsall defence ( of which Dan scarr was a central part) was always stron. They concede only 53 goals in 46 games.

So a key player- scarr- has rejected the club- just the next one in a serious of rejections- and how are we expecting the fans to react to yet another rejection ?

Bearing in mind scarr has already played 17 times in league 1 during his relatively limited professional career, to date; also that Birmingham city have signed him TWICE- once as a youngster and the second time for a fee from Stourbridge ( with a 2 1/2 year contract, and also that Ryan Lowe has seen something in him..... then I think I’ll reserve judgement on this one ( not withstanding the comments from Walsall fans) .....

Interesting to note, from a historical perspective, that scarr joins us at the same age as Graham coughlan did.... and, surprisingly, with slightly more, first team experience....

Good point, but would you say that Cocko's former club Livingstone played at a higher level in the SFL First Division than Dan Scarr played in the EFL Second Division? I am trying to make a better comparison.of skill level and experience.

I think your making a good point ther, Quintrell- that it is difficult to compare playing experience in different leagues.

Graham coughlan joined us in 2001 having played 70 senior games ( bray wanderers 11, Swindon town ( loan) 3, Livingston 56).Dan Scarr joins us having played 167 senior games ( Stourbridge 60, Wycombe ( loan) 22, Walsall 85).

Now there are a couple of contentious questions there:
Do bray wanderers and Stourbridge count as senior games ( leaving aside the comparability of the two leagues) ?
Are Livingston and Walsall comparable ?

Both are questions of interpretation and opinion really.I’m only going to tackle the second question ( because I wouldn’t be able to answer the first one anyway) . Coughlan played for Livingston in SFL1 ( now the championship). Now based purely on the championship games I’ve seen on the tv, I would say that the standard is approximately the same as LG 2 ( ie Walsall standard).
I’m sure there will be different opinions on this- and in a sense - it doesn’t really matter anyway.

The big point I was seeking to make is this - two legendary centre halves joined us as little known players ( Graham coughlan, sonny Bradley)- so maybe we shouldn’t worry too much about the negative comments from Walsall fans, about Dan Scarr ? Because, who’s to say he won’t follow the same path ?

Ps. If Dan Scarr is our “ big unit” signing im hoping the next signing for the back 3 will be a Nicky market/ John brimacombe type ie. capable and pacey defenders, who can also push- on into midfield and pick-out a pass......

May 8, 2011
Quintrell_Green":26z1lzhq said:
Railway sleeper":26z1lzhq said:
Railway sleeper":26z1lzhq said:
philevs":26z1lzhq said:

There is a common denominator between Coughlin and Bradley, that being Paul Wotton, perhaps it was his influence that turned both into fans favourites.

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
HC that is a great point. Lets hope that Wilson can have that same sort of impact and help Scarr.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lots of pasotiites on the Euro threads telling me that Mings can't play, isn't international standard, always has a mistake in him and is a liability.

I hope they enjoyed the England game today, I did.
Mings sounds very similar to Scarr in their eyes. I certainly hope so! :lol: :scarf:

Sep 2, 2008
Pogleswoody":1d1nouqf said:
Lots of pasotiites on the Euro threads telling me that Mings can't play, isn't international standard, always has a mistake in him and is a liability.

I hope they enjoyed the England game today, I did.
Mings sounds very similar to Scarr in their eyes. I certainly hope so! :lol: :scarf:

Our defence was so well protected by Phillips and Rice that he didn't really have that much to do.

Rest assured he will cost us as will Maguire if he gets in the starting line up. My worst nightmare is having Mings and Maguire starting. Hopefully Stones can keep one of them out

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Railway sleeper":2vndkxbx said:
Quintrell_Green":2vndkxbx said:
philevs":2vndkxbx said:

I think your making a good point ther, Quintrell- that it is difficult to compare playing experience in different leagues.

Graham coughlan joined us in 2001 having played 70 senior games ( bray wanderers 11, Swindon town ( loan) 3, Livingston 56).Dan Scarr joins us having played 167 senior games ( Stourbridge 60, Wycombe ( loan) 22, Walsall 85).

Now there are a couple of contentious questions there:
Do bray wanderers and Stourbridge count as senior games ( leaving aside the comparability of the two leagues) ?
Are Livingston and Walsall comparable ?

Both are questions of interpretation and opinion really.I’m only going to tackle the second question ( because I wouldn’t be able to answer the first one anyway) . Coughlan played for Livingston in SFL1 ( now the championship). Now based purely on the championship games I’ve seen on the tv, I would say that the standard is approximately the same as LG 2 ( ie Walsall standard).
I’m sure there will be different opinions on this- and in a sense - it doesn’t really matter anyway.

The big point I was seeking to make is this - two legendary centre halves joined us as little known players ( Graham coughlan, sonny Bradley)- so maybe we shouldn’t worry too much about the negative comments from Walsall fans, about Dan Scarr ? Because, who’s to say he won’t follow the same path ?

Ps. If Dan Scarr is our “ big unit” signing im hoping the next signing for the back 3 will be a Nicky market/ John brimacombe type ie. capable and pacey defenders, who can also push- on into midfield and pick-out a pass......

I suspect our even bigger ‘big unit’ signing will be unveiled Monday or Tuesday….

Nov 2, 2004
Love it we are going to have a defensive unit comprising of giants, should make attacking corners interesting.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Railway sleeper":2bwgr61d said:

Really hope so, otherwise it's going from one extreme to the other. When really you want a healthy mix.

Long way to go yet, only two signings of 10+ likely incomings.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I went WOW....!!
He's the greatest Dan Scarr!!
I went WOW.... That I've ever seen...….

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
He's your private Dan Scarr
a Dan Scarr for money
He'll do want to want him to do

He's your private Dan Scarr
a Dan Scarr for money
And any old music will do....

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Would you say these chants all come under Scarr music?

:tumbleweed: