• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

#incoming (Macaulay Gillesphey signs)

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
lilcol":23bmns65 said:
As with all new signings only time will tell, but I sure hope it works out for him and us. Need a couple of decent mid fielders now and we will be up and running ....

Only got one keeper at moment.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
PL2 3DQ":vrp6nar2 said:
Welcome aboard the good ship Mayflower.

He's got a decent left-foot, takes free-kicks, is comfortable on the ball and able to pick out a long pass. Showreel ... You Tube.

On paper, we have a very good back three - the experienced all rounder, the beast and now some culture.

He looks good in that showreel. Calm and composed, happy to carry the ball forwards, not afraid to use his weaker foot and able to ping a cracking long diagonal ball. Judging from the positions he was taking up he looks well suited to playing on the left of a 3 man defence.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
slingsby_pobble":ebo8j8zl said:
Welcome aboard Mr G!

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me could have a stab at how the first 11 might look on Aug 7th?

I’m not more knowledgable than you, but at the moment…

Cooper
Wilson Scarr Gillespie
Edwards Randell Grant
Camara Mayor
Ennis Jephcott

Will change a lot between now and then, though.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
I have had a nosey at the Brisbane Roar forum which is called the Orange Army- i could only find 2 comments about Macaulay in the couple of pages i looked at

And Gillesphey was terrible tonight. He has always looked vulnerable when players run at him, tonight he added a degree of what looked like “couldn’t give a fudge”. Especially poor effort when Ibini scored. (that was posted one month ago)

So looking at our squad I think we lose:
Gillesphey (Back to England, hopefully League 1), (that was posted 2 days ago)

Make of that what you will but i will look forward to seeing what he is about

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I know the You Tube video clip is edited to demonstrate the guy's good points, but nevertheless, he appears to be able to do everything young Watts was not very good at. If MG can repeat those skills regularly, I feel he will be quite an asset to Argyle. Let's hope so, and move on to other gaps in the squad.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
The Doctor":2vb5dy60 said:
Interesting spelling of his surname. I've never seen that before.

Interesting signing too - certainly not a player who would have been on most people's radar. Good age. Decent experience. Plenty to prove in his home nation. His move to Australia suggests a certain amount of boldness which I think is a good thing.
When I left school I worked at CE Curtis builders merchants (now Bradfords). The boss there believed that unusually spelt surnames were the result of a poorly educated person registering the birth. Years later I was on a ship and a guy called Grork joined. I asked him where the name came from. He said he was descended from a family called O'Rourke and that somewhere along the line the registrar couldn't read someone's poor writing. Its a good example as you can see how it could have happened. The O and apostrophe mistaken for a G.

Sep 2, 2008
Dublin Green":39vbk9sn said:
WoodsyGreen":39vbk9sn said:
cheshiregreen":39vbk9sn said:
What standard is the A league equivalent to here?

(Know we have few posters who are based there so would welcome their opinions)

I've watched a bit of A-League football due to having relatives over there. It's difficult to compare it to a league over here because there is a real mixed bag of ability, but I would expect Argyle to beat most of the teams in the league based on what I've seen.

Most of the best players are foreign 'stars' in their 30s, most of whom you'll have never heard of.

None of the above is to disparage our latest signing, by the way.

I was a season ticket holder at OGC Nice for 5 seasons when a player called Eric Bautheac was there. He went to play for Brisbane Roar for 2 seasons when 29 years of age. He would walk into any Argyle team even now at 33 years of age. Currently at Omonia Nicosia.

It seems Brisbane Roar managed to find a nice wedge to persuade his defensive partner Tom Aldred to extend but couldn't put much together to make him a decent offer. Looking at Aldreds history, it seems he is a lower league player in the UK which I guess could be used to gauge how good/bad Gillesphey is considering he hasn't played much in the UK. The thing is though, Roar, play in a league which someone else has said is full of teams which Argyle should easily beat and yet they appeared to want Aldred more :think:

I know we need to see him first before commenting on his ability but the fact that Roar seem to prefer Aldred more than Gillesphey is not a good start imo.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I would say 100 league games by the age of 23 at Carlisle would suggest he has something about him and now in his prime years he should cope with League 1 OK.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
So we've signed two out of three defenders who were recently voted Player of the Season at their respective clubs, Wilson at Ipswich for the season just finished and Gillesphey at Brisbane in September last season. Not bad.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
PL2 3DQ":majaikkc said:
So we've signed two out of three defenders who were recently voted Player of the Season at their respective clubs, Wilson at Ipswich for the season just finished and Gillesphey at Brisbane in September last season. Not bad.

Three if you include Edwards

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Pottypilgrim":3vlu0msp said:
Dublin Green":3vlu0msp said:
WoodsyGreen":3vlu0msp said:
cheshiregreen":3vlu0msp said:

I've watched a bit of A-League football due to having relatives over there. It's difficult to compare it to a league over here because there is a real mixed bag of ability, but I would expect Argyle to beat most of the teams in the league based on what I've seen.

Most of the best players are foreign 'stars' in their 30s, most of whom you'll have never heard of.

I was a season ticket holder at OGC Nice for 5 seasons when a player called Eric Bautheac was there. He went to play for Brisbane Roar for 2 seasons when 29 years of age. He would walk into any Argyle team even now at 33 years of age. Currently at Omonia Nicosia.

It seems Brisbane Roar managed to find a nice wedge to persuade his defensive partner Tom Aldred to extend but couldn't put much together to make him a decent offer. Looking at Aldreds history, it seems he is a lower league player in the UK which I guess could be used to gauge how good/bad Gillesphey is considering he hasn't played much in the UK. The thing is though, Roar, play in a league which someone else has said is full of teams which Argyle should easily beat and yet they appeared to want Aldred more :think:

I know we need to see him first before commenting on his ability but the fact that Roar seem to prefer Aldred more than Gillesphey is not a good start imo.

They were both offered terms. How could you possibly know the details of the relative contract offers? Or are you just twisting the facts you don’t have, to be critical before he’s even kicked a ball because you have an issue with our recruitment strategy?

Maybe after two years on the opposite side of the world to his family in a global pandemic, he just fancied coming back to England to play?

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
cheshiregreen":3q3b95vn said:

IMO the A league would be comparible to the lower half of League 1 and below. Several teams have some very good players and hopefully Gillesphy will prove to be one of them.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Pottypilgrim":30d9udec said:
Dublin Green":30d9udec said:
WoodsyGreen":30d9udec said:
cheshiregreen":30d9udec said:

You often accuse Ryan Lowe, and me, on one occasion, of saying ‘what we want to hear’. It seems to me that, in your posts, you are doing exactly the opposite. By searching for reasons why Gillesphey is not a good signing you are finding information that ‘we don’t want to hear’.
We know that you are not RL’s biggest fan but I prefer the fact that Brisbane Roar’s supporters voted Gillesphey their Player of the Season in 2019/20, not Tom Aldred.

Feb 16, 2011
khennes_904":1bxeprpg said:
cheshiregreen":1bxeprpg said:

IMO the A league would be comparible to the lower half of League 1 and below. Several teams have some very good players and hopefully Gillesphy will prove to be one of them.

Would agree with this comment, lower league 1 standard. The Roar made the final series and finished fourth in the A league conceding 28 goals in 26 games. Time will tell but should be a good signing IMO