#incoming (Macaulay Gillesphey signs) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

#incoming (Macaulay Gillesphey signs)

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Brisbane Roar lost a home elimination final against Adelaide United a few days ago.

Here are some Match highlights (hopefully not geoblocked in the UK).

https://www.a-league.com.au/video/brisb ... a-league-0

It was Aldred who messed up for one goal and (from memory) Gillesphey played okay. A good interception toward the end of the game.

Regarding the standard of the A-league it's also worth mentioning that they play in different conditions - in Aus in summer - often on hard bouncy pitches.

Welcome to Argyle!

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Also, here are some insights from his own Twitter feed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gillesphey

Good points include his inclusion in the A-league "team of the round" on more than one occasion.
A bad point may be that his Twitter feed is almost all about himself, not his team.

greeneagle

✅ Evergreen
Jan 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Have watched Perth for years, Brisbane since living here. Macaulay was signed by Robbie Fowler in his stint as Manger, before returning due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Useful player that should suit Argyle.
The standard has been steadily improving, with many very good overseas players coming in. Some would walk in to L1 sides.
Agree with a previous post, standard is currently L1 to L2 but leaning to L1.
Hope he fits in and helps strengthen a horrendous defence.

Mar 11, 2018
I would put the A-League at League 1 level and, on a good day with the best teams like Sydney FC and Melbourne City, a match for several Championship teams. Brisbane was successfully managed by Ange Postecoglou, who has just become Glasgow Celtic Manager. As already mentioned, the standard is going up, and more A-League players are making the transition to the Australian team without playing overseas first. Australia has been in the Asian Football Confederation since 2006, so the best A-League clubs get to play top teams from Japan, Korea etc. who are definitely Championship level. Macaulay Gillesphey, with substantial EFL and A-League experience, looks a pretty sound investment. The proof will be on the pitch, of course.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Aldred played under Lowe at Bury I believe, as did Jay O'Shea who is also at Brisbane.

Maybe they put a good word in.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
An interesting signing having just completed a 26 game season since December 2020 in the A- League. Looking at the spread of fixtures from Perth to Wellington in New Zealand I am not sure the travelling that Argyle will have to do next season will worry him!

I do wonder, though, after only just completing a full season and now being subject to travel back to the UK, and the quarantine issues that may present, whether we'll see too much of him in early pre-season. I am sure he will be edged gradually into first team action commensurate with his fitness levels. So I imagine another CB (albeit a Premiership loan) may well be on the cards to ensure cover.

Jun 27, 2019
And if we've announced his signing that surely means he's already been in the country for the negotiations, logistics etc.

Jun 27, 2019
Argylegames":3fc01lvf said:
WoodsyGreen":3fc01lvf said:
And if we've announced his signing that surely means he's already been in the country for the negotiations, logistics etc.
Zoom

I expect he'd have wanted to look around the club and city before committing the next two years of his life.

Sep 2, 2008
Nobby":10gp37u5 said:
Pottypilgrim":10gp37u5 said:
Dublin Green":10gp37u5 said:
WoodsyGreen":10gp37u5 said:
cheshiregreen":10gp37u5 said:
What standard is the A league equivalent to here?

(Know we have few posters who are based there so would welcome their opinions)

I've watched a bit of A-League football due to having relatives over there. It's difficult to compare it to a league over here because there is a real mixed bag of ability, but I would expect Argyle to beat most of the teams in the league based on what I've seen.

Most of the best players are foreign 'stars' in their 30s, most of whom you'll have never heard of.

None of the above is to disparage our latest signing, by the way.

I was a season ticket holder at OGC Nice for 5 seasons when a player called Eric Bautheac was there. He went to play for Brisbane Roar for 2 seasons when 29 years of age. He would walk into any Argyle team even now at 33 years of age. Currently at Omonia Nicosia.

It seems Brisbane Roar managed to find a nice wedge to persuade his defensive partner Tom Aldred to extend but couldn't put much together to make him a decent offer. Looking at Aldreds history, it seems he is a lower league player in the UK which I guess could be used to gauge how good/bad Gillesphey is considering he hasn't played much in the UK. The thing is though, Roar, play in a league which someone else has said is full of teams which Argyle should easily beat and yet they appeared to want Aldred more :think:

I know we need to see him first before commenting on his ability but the fact that Roar seem to prefer Aldred more than Gillesphey is not a good start imo.

They were both offered terms. How could you possibly know the details of the relative contract offers? Or are you just twisting the facts you don’t have, to be critical before he’s even kicked a ball because you have an issue with our recruitment strategy?

Maybe after two years on the opposite side of the world to his family in a global pandemic, he just fancied coming back to England to play?

After reading what Lowe said about how he came to be on our radar, I am actually ok with the way he seems to have been recruited. As you rightly observe, I am no fan of recruiting using data analytics but Gillesphey seems to have been recruited by word of mouth which I think is a much better way especially when the plaudits come out of the mouths of people that are considered decent players.

Like I said, cant really comment on his ability until we see him but based on how he was recruited, I'm more inclined to think he may be a good acquisition after all. Time will tell.

It'll be interesting for me, to see how he actually compares to Scarr and Wilson especially when data analytics seem to have played a large part in recruiting the two of them but not so with Gillesphy :think:

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Pretty sure they will have backed up word of mouth with Analytics.

Wilson was/is a mate and played with Edwards, so word of mouth would have a part to play there as well

Scarr may also have played with one or two of the Argyle team historically,.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Don't know about anyone else but unusually I'm really excited to see our new back 3 in action... normally I only get excited about the more attacking and creative players but the 3 defensive players we've signed have really got me thinking that we've made some excellent acquisitions which will solve our defensive problems from last season.

I'm also looking forward to having more attacking threat from our own pieces too and I'm sure the likes of George Cooper and Conor Grant will relish the chance to put in a good dead ball into areas where we've actually got people who can win a header in the opposition box and make opportunities to score..

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Pottypilgrim":gj3y4hvt said:
After reading what Lowe said about how he came to be on our radar, I am actually ok with the way he seems to have been recruited. As you rightly observe, I am no fan of recruiting using data analytics but Gillesphey seems to have been recruited by word of mouth which I think is a much better way especially when the plaudits come out of the mouths of people that are considered decent players.

Like I said, cant really comment on his ability until we see him but based on how he was recruited, I'm more inclined to think he may be a good acquisition after all. Time will tell.

It'll be interesting for me, to see how he actually compares to Scarr and Wilson especially when data analytics seem to have played a large part in recruiting the two of them but not so with Gillesphy :think:

This is all complete conjecture. You (we) really have no idea of the extent to which data analytics, word-of-mouth, personal, recommendation, scouting etc. were or were not used ahead of each of these three signings. It is pure supposition on your part that data analytics was a large part of recruiting Scarr and Wilson but not Gillesphey. I think you are just seeing/reading what you want to see in the various articles about the signings - it's a completely natural thing to do of course ('confirmation bias').