#incoming (Macaulay Gillesphey signs) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

#incoming (Macaulay Gillesphey signs)

Jun 27, 2019
Canavan certainly wasn't a bad player, but he was way off the standard required to compete at the top end of League One - if that's where we're aiming. He was probably the best of a bad bunch last season but that really isn't anything to crow about.

Who knows if the new batch of CBs will be any better than what they are replacing. In my opinion only one of them has any pedigree to speak of, but perhaps they'll come together as a defensive unit and remind us all what we've been missing for the past three years?

I'd certainly feel more confident if we had a defensive coach to work with them instead of a coaching team made up of a striker and two attacking midfielders.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Dan Ellard":1swb62p4 said:
Once again, I am obliged to point out that we were consistently better when Canavan played, and people are choosing to remember the one bad game in 10 he used to have with us.

This season, we conceded 1.4 goals per game when he was playing, and 1.8 when he wasn't.

Last season - 1.0 goals conceded when he was playing, 1.6 when he wasn't.

Season before - 1.3 goals conceded when he was playing, 2.3 when he wasn't.

Anyway, welcome Macaulay.

Dan, Dan, Dan... you must surely realize by now that this new-fangled data analytics is not the way to convince people of anything on PASOTI. The question is - could Canavan and can Gillesphey tackle like Chopper Harris?

;)

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
It is always interesting reading opinions & perspectives of posters in respect of the new signings

Why do people form an option before the player has even kicked a ball- you cannot judge a book by its cover

If this new line up is not as charitable as the previous incumbents then RL would have achieved his goal

For all we know RL may have changed is coaching & training in respect of the defensive unit- he would have finished is UEFA Pro licence prior to the new season starting & maybe he will have acquired further knowledge to adapt is way of thinking with regard to the defensive unit

I am looking forward to seeing what these new players are about & what they can bring to team

May 7, 2019
I think there's a lot more to a successful defence than is being discussed on this thread. Firstly, stats do not tell the whole story and the chemistry between defenders is vitally important. The three defenders that we have signed so far do appear to offer a very good balance of skill-sets. Wotton and Coughlan are a great example of two defenders who complemented each other beautifully. They also had the character, drive and communication skills that we have been lacking at times at the back recently. These new defenders strike me as being experienced football players who will communicate and organise. It's worth remembering that we have a (highly talented) rookie goalkeeper who could use some protection and assistance from 'old pros' in front of him.

The second factor to consider is coaching. RL is determined to play a 3CB system and this will be the system of choice for the new season. Most defenders at Argyle's level and below will be unfamiliar with this system and so it will be interesting to see who can adapt and who struggles. Mobility is key, as is awareness and communication, and I think we have the right blend of skills and characters but it will be interesting to see how these new players adapt to situations where they are drawn out of the middle and are covering for wing-backs who are in the opposition penalty area! For the record, I would rather watch an attacking Argyle team than a defensive Argyle team but I accept that balance is important.

Finally, the key to a successful defence this season may not lie wholly with the defence itself but with the crucial DCM position. This player will be absolutely vital to the success of Argyle this season and it is clear that we need a very talented and experienced Championship/League One level to offer protection to the defence and keep the ball moving when we have possession. Pallister and Bruce are not as successful without Keane or Ince. Wotton and Coughlan had Stevie Adams, a player much maligned for his supposed lack of ability but vital to Sturrock's formation, especially away from HP. I was hoping that Lewis Macleod would be this player but he appears too injury-prone but I am hopeful that we will be successful in recruiting the right player for this position. It would be interesting to see Randell as the understudy also to continue his development.

Keep it green everyone! :scarf:

Apr 1, 2009
TheBoldman":1y8c7esu said:
I think there's a lot more to a successful defence than is being discussed on this thread. Firstly, stats do not tell the whole story and the chemistry between defenders is vitally important. The three defenders that we have signed so far do appear to offer a very good balance of skill-sets. Wotton and Coughlan are a great example of two defenders who complemented each other beautifully. They also had the character, drive and communication skills that we have been lacking at times at the back recently. These new defenders strike me as being experienced football players who will communicate and organise. It's worth remembering that we have a (highly talented) rookie goalkeeper who could use some protection and assistance from 'old pros' in front of him.

The second factor to consider is coaching. RL is determined to play a 3CB system and this will be the system of choice for the new season. Most defenders at Argyle's level and below will be unfamiliar with this system and so it will be interesting to see who can adapt and who struggles. Mobility is key, as is awareness and communication, and I think we have the right blend of skills and characters but it will be interesting to see how these new players adapt to situations where they are drawn out of the middle and are covering for wing-backs who are in the opposition penalty area! For the record, I would rather watch an attacking Argyle team than a defensive Argyle team but I accept that balance is important.

Finally, the key to a successful defence this season may not lie wholly with the defence itself but with the crucial DCM position. This player will be absolutely vital to the success of Argyle this season and it is clear that we need a very talented and experienced Championship/League One level to offer protection to the defence and keep the ball moving when we have possession. Pallister and Bruce are not as successful without Keane or Ince. Wotton and Coughlan had Stevie Adams, a player much maligned for his supposed lack of ability but vital to Sturrock's formation, especially away from HP. I was hoping that Lewis Macleod would be this player but he appears too injury-prone but I am hopeful that we will be successful in recruiting the right player for this position. It would be interesting to see Randell as the understudy also to continue his development.

Keep it green everyone! :scarf:

I always struggle to understand why people (including Ryan Lowe) saw Lewis Macleod as the answer in DCM, as this has never been Macleod's position.

Mar 11, 2018
AdelaideGreen":2d7kesq1 said:
How good is the Australian A-league?

Here is an Australian journo's opinion

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.co ... junn9.html

In summary, he thinks possibly equal to (or better) than L2 or even L1. More technical but with a shorter season with less fitness.

I don't agree, but it is a slightly different game (pitch, weather etc..).

With Macauley time will tell.

That article is pushing 6 years old. As already discussed, the A-League has improved a fair bit since then. I do agree that it may be hard for the players from there to play so many games in League 1. However, Brisbane especially had to play a lot in a short time because of Covid issues. Gillesphey should be pretty fit once he's acclimatised.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I do not know quite what temperatures they play football in at Brisbane. All I do know is that England's cricketers find the weather hard to handle when they play at the famous 'Gabba'. A footballer from Brisbane must be pretty fit to cope with the home games in higher temperatures than he will endure at Home Park. Let's see how the guy performs when he plays. He at least does not have family issues coming to Plymouth UK from the other side of the world.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Quintrell_Green":318hy37o said:
I do not know quite what temperatures they play football in at Brisbane. All I do know is that England's cricketers find the weather hard to handle when they play at the famous 'Gabba'. A footballer from Brisbane must be pretty fit to cope with the home games in higher temperatures than he will endure at Home Park. Let's see how the guy performs when he plays. He at least does not have family issues coming to Plymouth UK from the other side of the world.

Wasn't there a comment from him somewhere saying that he had been apart from a partner & child for 2 years and that was 'enough'?? Sure I saw that.

So covid has affected his life and career including loss (back to UK) of the manager that signed him.

Anyone who plays in the A League would surely think Carlisle away is a local derby?? :think:

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Pogleswoody":1lo55ct7 said:
Quintrell_Green":1lo55ct7 said:

Wasn't there a comment from him somewhere saying that he had been apart from a partner & child for 2 years and that was 'enough'?? Sure I saw that.

So covid has affected his life and career including loss (back to UK) of the manager that signed him.

Anyone who plays in the A League would surely think Carlisle away is a local derby?? :think:

I'm sure i read somewhere that Gillesphey's family would be moving down to Plymouth.

Mar 11, 2018
Pogleswoody":2mphkd0w said:
Quintrell_Green":2mphkd0w said:

I watched the A-League grand final on TV at the weekend between the City Football Group-owned Melbourne City FC and Sydney FC, a repeat of last year's, but with the opposite result (3-1 to Melbourne this time). They have an odd set up in Australia involving the Premier's Plate (for the league winners) and the A-League Trophy (a knockout involving the top 6 in the league). Melbourne FC won both this year which is good, because most people don't seem to care too much who won the league (Sydney FC came a close second). Although marred by a first half send off and a dubious penalty, it was a game of quite high quality, and confirmed my view that the best A-League teams could hold their own in League 1.

Macaulay Gillesphey's Brisbane Roar came fourth but didn't make the final (as we know). While that team isn't right up there with the current top two, it's pretty useful and I predict he will hold his own in League 1. But he has to get into the team first.