Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 53 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Mar 16, 2009
London
Railway sleeper":qwfb1v0m said:
So you want a target man with pace Knibsy ?

“ somebody who holds the ball up well and has a good touch for a big man- somebody who runs hard, runs quick and runs in behind teams”

Not my words by the way. Those are from Shrewsbury manager Steve Cotterill, describing new signing Ryan Bowman
( Shropshire Star 17 June).

Yes, talking up his own signing. A Cotterill signing. That's Steve Cotterill - one of the last few remaining merchants of long-ball, percentage football.

He's splashed out actual money on a transfer fee signing a borderline-league 2/national league-quality journeyman for a league 1 campaign. Of course he's going to talk it up.

Judging by the youtube showreels you asked us to watch, Bowman does not have pace. Even Cotterill, on a sales-pitch to the Shrewsbury fans, falls short of such hyperbole.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Calvert Lewin is a great example, as was the Posh striker with 30+ goals at our level, Charlie Wyke with 25+ goals at our level. Keiffer Moore in the Championship would perhaps be a "real old fashioned CF".
Tammy Abraham, Ollie Watkins, Ivan Toney, the game is littered with big strong centre forwards.

Jul 28, 2020
Justin":335x2t2h said:
Railway sleeper":335x2t2h said:
So you want a target man with pace Knibsy ?

“ somebody who holds the ball up well and has a good touch for a big man- somebody who runs hard, runs quick and runs in behind teams”

Not my words by the way. Those are from Shrewsbury manager Steve Cotterill, describing new signing Ryan Bowman
( Shropshire Star 17 June).

Yes, talking up his own signing. A Cotterill signing. That's Steve Cotterill - one of the last few remaining merchants of long-ball, percentage football.

He's splashed out actual money on a transfer fee signing a borderline-league 2/national league-quality journeyman for a league 1 campaign. Of course he's going to talk it up.

Judging by the youtube showreels you asked us to watch, Bowman does not have pace. Even Cotterill, on a sales-pitch to the Shrewsbury fans, falls short of such hyperbole.

Everybody has their opinions don’t they ?But mine are based on seeing the fella play 5 or 6!times.

It will be interesting to see how Bowman does over the next season.

On a broader note it always fills me with sadness when we allow good players from our local clubs ( Torquay and Exeter) to go up country.

I remember seeing Donal Murphy marauding down our left wing , as well as Jamie Mackie and Nicky Marker in the green shirt.

I think our historical rivalry with Exeter is based only on geographical proximity only. It’s a mark of our historical underachievement that we compare ourselves to them.

It always saddens me when the likes of Jamie Reid, Ryan Bowman, Jordan Moore- Taylor, Matt Grimes, Liam Sercombe, David Wheeler ( although I know we were in for him) etc. Disappear up country. It would be difficult to argue that we wouldn’t be stronger now, with those players in our squad. I I believe we should be monitoring our local sides and in for their best players,as and when they become available. ....

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Emeraldinho":24jwiou3 said:
Is it just me or is this thread, yet again, straying :eek:fft:

Yep

By the same old people too :facepalm:

Oct 31, 2015
Emeraldinho":3ufugzks said:
Is it just me or is this thread, yet again, straying :eek:fft:

This rumour round up had been awful this summer. Just s list of players the some think would be good in Green. The way this current management team do business is superb. No one is getting rumours :clap:

Mar 14, 2009
I must say l think Ennis is a cracking signing.

People talk about a target man. Well l feel lve seen enough of Ennis with his back to goal to be a target man. Yes he won’t get lumped 50:50 balls but if you play it into his feet he holds it up well.

So when we talk target man, l feel you can have alternative types.

A physical, bruiser who can rough up a CB would be nice too.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Metal_Green_Mickey":q86u75iw said:
I must say l think Ennis is a cracking signing.

People talk about a target man. Well l feel lve seen enough of Ennis with his back to goal to be a target man. Yes he won’t get lumped 50:50 balls but if you play it into his feet he holds it up well.

So when we talk target man, l feel you can have alternative types.

A physical, bruiser who can rough up a CB would be nice too.

I wasn't advocating getting rid of Ennis!! But someone mentioned a (fit) Ryan Taylor (type) as a back-up squad player. I think that is a good idea. :scarf:

Aug 5, 2016
Voice_of_Reason":2qvleyz9 said:
Calvert Lewin is a great example, as was the Posh striker with 30+ goals at our level, Charlie Wyke with 25+ goals at our level. Keiffer Moore in the Championship would perhaps be a "real old fashioned CF".
Tammy Abraham, Ollie Watkins, Ivan Toney, the game is littered with big strong centre forwards.

Almost all of these strikers mentioned have pace and score goals running in behind CBs. They don't come off the bench, stand up top and just win flick ons as was suggested. Kieffer Moore is deceptively quick, so is Calvert Lewin - both are regularly played through on goal and finish chances using their pace, positioning and finishing ability. Jonson Clarke Harris is a very skilful player and has scored some excellent dribbling goals in the past, so he is not exactly Andy Carroll.

Ollie Watkins, Tammy Abraham and Ivan Toney are nothing like traditional target men. Abraham is stick thin and couldn't push a youth team player off the ball, and he is hardly dangerous in the air. I can't see why their names have been thrown into the discussion.

The only one on that list I'd say is a typically used target man is Charlie Wyke because Sunderland know he is good in the air, has little else to his game and they base their crossing tactics on it. It does work for them and him to be fair, he gets goals, it is up to Sunderland to decide if they get enough out of their whole team playing that way.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Quintrell_Green":203giwjd said:
Knibbsworth":203giwjd said:
Pogleswoody":203giwjd said:
I really can't see how a big man winning headers in the opposition box, either goal attempts or assists, can go out of fashion?
Or be not 'modern' enough?
It is a physical act in a game, a way that your player 'beats' an opponent, gains an advantage.
You can't just decide: we aren't going to do that anymore and we don't want our opponents doing it either?? Can you? :think:

As i said to Emu, name me one striker that regularly does any of that in the modern game? At League One level or Premier League level.

Your first sentence says it all, you equate winning headers with assists and shots on target. Quite often target men are involved in hold up play 30 yards out of goal, they don't have the pace to be involved in the next phase of play. Are you happy with that, or do you want someone like Niall Ennis who does have the pace and stamina to be involved in the next phase? I know who I'd prefer.

The double barrelled Everton striker in the England squad team is a good example of one?

Calvert-Lewin
I’ll raise you Harry Kane

Aug 5, 2016
Harry Kane is a “target man” now? He is an intelligent, classy, clinical finisher, not a player whose primary feature is his physicality, ability in aerial duels and bringing teammates into play after a goal kick.

The 90s had Duncan Ferguson, Mark Hately, John Fashanu, Lee Chapman, Alan Shearer...

Ollie Watkins, Tammy Abraham, Harry Kane? Target men?
If you look at the highlights of these guys’ careers, it isn’t winning flick ons from goal kicks and physically battling hardened central defenders to win a 50/50 ball. That isn’t their skill set. Their attributes and their goals come from pace, clever positioning, precise finishing, not bashing Ruben Dias out of the way to win a header and make things awkward and ugly for the opposition back 4.

Kieffer Moore, Jonson Clarke Harris and Dominic Calvert Lewin definitely have some overlapping traits with the old fashioned big physical number 9s, but they also have other attributes that make them relevant/dominant in the modern game - namely pace, technical and finishing ability. They are not just big hoof ball merchant forwards, they can play and excel at football on the deck as well. Look at Calvert Lewin’s first goal v West Ham in the Carabao Cup, the positioning to beat the offside, the pace to burn Declan Rice in a sprint, the exquisite first touch on his weaker foot, the composed right foot finish. That isn’t a player just on the pitch to launch high balls at when you want to change tactics - he’s an England level footballer who just happens to be big and excellent at heading as well.

If we can find a striker who is as good in the air as those three, as physically strong, but also as quick, clever, and as good at finishing - my guess is that player will be Argyle’s starting number 9 and not our 4th choice striker. My point is if all those players could do was win flick ons and take down a goal kick, they wouldn’t be at those clubs. They are much better, more rounded technical players than that, and offer the team far more than headers and hold up play that some are suggesting is what we need.

B

Bonehead

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Any transfer rumours? I’m not really interested in ‘I know more about football than you’ willy waving competitions.

Just saying.

Aug 5, 2016
plymouth1970":2c0g6pw5 said:
Zzzzzzzzzzz

Any transfer rumours? I’m not really interested in ‘I know more about football than you’ willy waving competitions.

Just saying.

Some people aren't interested in your thoughts on other posters and their posts. Your post has no relevance to transfer rumours, and this is a thread about transfer rumours. Please show some consideration.

You should start a new thread to express that new and separate thought of yours.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Knibbsworth":17e8ig3s said:
plymouth1970":17e8ig3s said:
Zzzzzzzzzzz

Just saying.

Some people aren't interested in your thoughts on other posters and their posts. Your post has no relevance to transfer rumours, and this is a thread about transfer rumours. Please show some consideration.

You should start a new thread to express that new and separate thought of yours.
Ahem……

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
plymouth1970":2uk3o729 said:
Zzzzzzzzzzz

Just saying.
Well said! :thumbup: