Names on shirts | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Names on shirts

D

Diddyman 1983

Having just seen a picture of Ciftci on the Herald website holding up his new Motherwell shirt, I thought it was an opportune moment to bring something up on here that's been bugging me for quite some time now.

Does anyone know the rules (if any) when it comes to players' names on the back of their shirt? Ciftci has "Nadir" on the back of his Motherwell shirt, his forename. There are quite a few other examples (although off the top of my head I can only think of Jordon Ibe and Dele Alli, there are definitely more in the football league) of players having something other than their surname printed on the back of their shirt. Hernandez at West Ham has his nickname on the back of his shirt for goodness sake! I also seem to recall ex Birmingham loanee Christian Benitez having his nickname on his shirt (I think).

Does anyone reading this know the relevant protocol? Can players just call themselves whatever the hell they like now?! I don't know why it winds me up, but it does! Must be my old age.

Thanks in advance.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Doesn't bother me, but modern football and all it's ways pee me right off. I always spend the first 10 minutes of any game moaning about the rainbow of boots on display.

Next up is my anger at the youth team coming out with their shirts untucked for their lap the other day. Disgusting if I'm honest. Ill advised.

Yep, I'm great company

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
earl grey":ratseiom said:
Doesn't bother me, but modern football and all it's ways pee me right off. I always spend the first 10 minutes of any game moaning about the rainbow of boots on display.

Next up is my anger at the youth team coming out with their shirts untucked for their lap the other day. Disgusting if I'm honest. Ill advised.

Yep, I'm great company
I wouldn't go as far as disgusting but it did warrant a negative comment from me too.

Apr 6, 2009
We all commented on this too. They would have looked much more professional with shirts tucked in for those 5 minutes

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
I thought the same about their shirts hanging out, but then I'm not "cool." Even the first team bugs me when they get off the coach in tracksuits, suits and ties should be worn I'm my opinion. They are representing Plymouth Argyle not going training, and don't get me started on headphones !

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Diddyman 1983":9nky19p8 said:
Having just seen a picture of Ciftci on the Herald website holding up his new Motherwell shirt, I thought it was an opportune moment to bring something up on here that's been bugging me for quite some time now.

Does anyone know the rules (if any) when it comes to players' names on the back of their shirt? Ciftci has "Nadir" on the back of his Motherwell shirt, his forename. There are quite a few other examples (although off the top of my head I can only think of Jordon Ibe and Dele Alli, there are definitely more in the football league) of players having something other than their surname printed on the back of their shirt. Hernandez at West Ham has his nickname on the back of his shirt for goodness sake! I also seem to recall ex Birmingham loanee Christian Benitez having his nickname on his shirt (I think).

Does anyone reading this know the relevant protocol? Can players just call themselves whatever the hell they like now?! I don't know why it winds me up, but it does! Must be my old age.

Thanks in advance.

Winds me up too.

Dele Alli claims that he doesn't like the name Alli because of his non existent relationship with his father. Maybe he could save up and have his name changed by deed poll if it offends him that much.

Aug 30, 2016
Peverell
I noticed that Van Dijk has Virgil on the back of his new Liverpool shirt.

As far as the youth team are concerned, the scruffy look surprised me, I'm amazed someone didn't tell them to tuck their shirt-tails in before going on the pitch. it looked very unprofessional in my view and professionals is what they are hoping to be.

Jul 28, 2017
Not worried myself about names on shirts but stop the different coloured football boots for goodness sakes! Just black and white boots should be permitted. As for a he youth team on Saturday , Kevin Hodges should have insisted they tucked their shirts in and tidied themselves up before going out on the pitch. They are representing Plymouth Argyle after all and I didn’t think it looked very good to be honest.

N

NorfolkGreen

earl grey":1zfvnp7q said:

Yep, I'm great company

I’d fine anyone not wearing black boots.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
NorfolkGreen":20ig0iek said:
earl grey":20ig0iek said:

Yep, I'm great company

I’d fine anyone not wearing black boots.

I don’t care about names on shirts and I really don’t care about untucked shirts so this thread was meaningless; and then you brought up black boots.

Hooray for sanity. You should only be allowed coloured boots when you have scored or assisted in 30 goals the previous season.

#earnyourcolouredboots

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Blimey there's some saddos in this thread. Shirts untucked, coloured boots and players not getting off a bus in a suit. Flippin heck, lighten up chaps.

Perhaps Charlie should record matchday moments on 9mm film too? Pilgrim Pete can hold up the cards to describe the action of the silent movie?

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
SwimWithTheTide":2f7lh4o5 said:
Blimey there's some saddos in this thread. Shirts untucked, coloured boots and players not getting off a bus in a suit. Flippin heck, lighten up chaps.

Perhaps Charlie should record matchday moments on 9mm film too? Pilgrim Pete can hold up the cards to describe the action of the silent movie?

Sounds good. That's the spirit