The difficulties of being an expat Argyle supporter | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The difficulties of being an expat Argyle supporter

L

lambanog

I, like many other Argyle supporters, have chosen to live/retire abroad, born in Plymouth and served with 29 Cdo, I have lived in Asia for over 40 years.
The time difference between my Asian location and the UK is 7 or 8 hours ahead, for a lot of other expats it's a lot more, so obviously watching Argyle live at Home Park is impossible, yet we share the same passion as home based supporters do. For most of us we get the results and write ups from PASOTI on the Sunday mornings.
Expats living abroad, usually do so because they are retired or experienced enough to attract larger salaries than uk based fans. Being based abroad also expands our culture and with this comes different angles of awareness of life.
In the last couple of hours Tin Tin, who like me works in China, was verbally attacked by a Pasoti member because he stated he was relaxing on a Philippine beach. Why the attack ? Was it jealousy, or did Balham Green not realise for expats working in such places as China, a holiday to the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam etc is akin to the likes of BG relaxing in Brighton or Blackpool.
At the end of the day, we are all supporters of Argyle which is what counts so let's stop this childish trolling....pleases

Jul 29, 2010
Well said.

I've long stated that there's no difference in greenness whether you live 10 minutes from Home Park or 10,000 miles from it, it's the same love, the same passion.

The commitment to getting up and listening in (watching now!) at stupid o'clock in a place with no other Argyle fans is no less significant than a regular doorstep attendee who just shuffles along after lunch and gets back in time for sports report.

Expat fans might only go to one game a year, sometimes longer, but the efforts required dwarf all others. Sure the club doesn't benefit financially as much as an ST holder or regular POTD'er but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the emotional investment not the financial one, and that's the investment that bonds us all, near or far.

Rise above the comments of silly biffs. They're probably jealous as they stare out of their window at the wind and rain, it is after all 'blue Monday' today, supposedly the most depressing day of the year.

I like the expat community chipping in on matchday threads with the weather reports round the world, it shows we're a global community, that the love of Argyle is not a parochial little clique. Sadly to some it seems they want to keep it the way they know it, all too 'village'.

Their loss, the miserable gits :roll:

Jan 27, 2012
I lived abroad for a few years and the first thing I did on Sunday mornings was check Argyle's results.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I do largely agree with the sentiment, but there is a slightly unfortunate tone in that post.

experienced enough to attract larger salaries than uk based fans

Being based abroad also expands our culture

the likes of BG relaxing in Brighton or Blackpool

I believe the modern term is 'humblebrag' :whistle: :lol:

Aug 8, 2006
Portland, Oregon, USA
I also now live abroad in Portland, Oregon. Life took me here, not money or education! I consider myself blessed to have this lifestyle....and better weather.

I religiously get up at 6am to watch/listen to my team, swearing out loud or pumping me fist through the whole 90+ mins. Us expats are as green, passionate and loyal as anybody else on this site.

Saying all that, I TRULY appreciate every single supporter that goes to any home and away match. We would not have a club without you!! Also thanks to all those who take the time to update/post to this site. The banter is what gets us through till the next match

I'm sorry, but if people really loved their club that much, they wouldn't leave the UK. I've found myself in Berkshire, but still make it to every home game. It's what real fans do.

I've had offers to move abroad with work, but my loyalty towards Argyle has stopped me from doing it.

Maidenhead Green":h7n8hzyu said:
I'm sorry, but if people really loved their club that much, they wouldn't leave the UK. I've found myself in Berkshire, but still make it to every home game. It's what real fans do.

I've had offers to move abroad with work, but my loyalty towards Argyle has stopped me from doing it.

I sincerely hope that this is tongue in cheek!

Aug 8, 2006
Portland, Oregon, USA
HongKongGreen":m94hyi63 said:
Maidenhead Green":m94hyi63 said:

I sincerely hope that this is tongue in cheek!

Really hard not to bite on that one!

Jul 29, 2010
I suspect not HK :facepalm:

...at least he had the good grace to commence with an apology for what followed :wink:

Sep 6, 2006
lambanog":3nkbizrn said:
I, like many other Argyle supporters, have chosen to live/retire abroad, born in Plymouth and served with 29 Cdo, I have lived in Asia for over 40 years.
The time difference between my Asian location and the UK is 7 or 8 hours ahead, for a lot of other expats it's a lot more, so obviously watching Argyle live at Home Park is impossible, yet we share the same passion as home based supporters do. For most of us we get the results and write ups from PASOTI on the Sunday mornings.
Expats living abroad, usually do so because they are retired or experienced enough to attract larger salaries than uk based fans. Being based abroad also expands our culture and with this comes different angles of awareness of life.
In the last couple of hours Tin Tin, who like me works in China, was verbally attacked by a Pasoti member because he stated he was relaxing on a Philippine beach. Why the attack ? Was it jealousy, or did Balham Green not realise for expats working in such places as China, a holiday to the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam etc is akin to the likes of BG relaxing in Brighton or Blackpool.
At the end of the day, we are all supporters of Argyle which is what counts so let's stop this childish trolling....pleases

:facepalm: Think you are a bit confused! But of course I am jealous!
My point was he was showing off about having fun on a nice beach AND it was nothing to do with the thread i.e. the Wigan game. Would have been the same if he had said he was on the beach at Blackpool. Am sure he can look after himself though. No need to feel sorry for him or yourself.
By the way I a not Plymouth based myself.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Biggs":3lz8memg said:
I do largely agree with the sentiment, but there is a slightly unfortunate tone in that post.

experienced enough to attract larger salaries than uk based fans

Being based abroad also expands our culture

the likes of BG relaxing in Brighton or Blackpool

I believe the modern term is 'humblebrag' :whistle: :lol:

Hell yeah!

3 hours - Tonga
4 hours - Fiji or Rarotonga
5 hours - Samoa
6 hours - Tahiti

Beats the hell out of Majorca, Torremolinos, Newquay. Guaranteed to be totally free of drunken louts!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I once saw a drunken American woman vomit into her soup in Papeete.

Saw a massive punch up between Asians in Fiji.

Yet I stayed at one of the best hotels ever in the mountains in Majorca.

I had two very good offers to work abroad, one was 40% more than my salary in the UK.

I didn't go, main reason family and secondly Argyle. I love attending matches, always have and always will.

Love the UK with all it's problems, and nothing is worse than those that have moved away, attempting to take the pee out of the people that stay in the UK for whatever reason.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
a question for lambanog.great to see you back on pasoti mate.does that mega wealthy chinese businessman still come into your cafe to "talk Devon,Plymouth and Argyle"?if he does keep chatting him up. :D

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
lambanog":1kqhwxdg said:

You'd think with all that "extra experience" and your oh so expanded "cultural awareness" you'd have picked up a tip or two on letting things go over your head, especially when they're not even aimed at you.

I'm sure Tin Tin is more than capable of fighting his own corner. If he was in the slightest bit upset by BG's fairly harmless comment then quite frankly those Phillipean beaches can't be all that, I hope this doesn't make you too jealous but the last thing I'd be thinking about on a beautiful Cornish beach would be Balham Green.