Players not rated at Argyle but excel elsewhere | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Players not rated at Argyle but excel elsewhere

djg145":171pxx33 said:
Green_guile":171pxx33 said:
PL2 3DQ":171pxx33 said:
We might have Kelvin Mellor playing against us on Saturday. Both Wigan and Bradford have made a move to sign him.
KM? I thought he was rubbish! Why would Wigan (with all their money) want to waste some on Mellor? Perhaps he is a lot better player than some thought.

He is.

Same argument could be made for Bolasie, Barnes, Noone etc etc. Most odd how crap they are for Argyle yet higher division managers seem to like them.

Actually, this could be a thread all by itself. Players not rated by Argyle fans who excel elsewhere in a higher division. I can guarantee that there were some who would say "Mariner, pah, never tackled back", or "that Tynan fellow, couldn't save a penalty to save his life".

---------------------

Split from Wigan thread. Admin.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Bobby Reid was criticised quite heavily by a lot of Argyle fans at one point and now he's one of the top players in the Championship.

Jun 24, 2008
The-Pilgrim":3mpdo3oy said:
Conor Hourihane

Certainly not early on having come from Ipswich as an unknown but was soon realised to be appreciated.

Jason Puncheon however, watching him on MOTD and thinking - what happened there?!

Aug 3, 2017
Are we saying Hourihane, Noone, Bolasie were not rated at Argyle? Cause I seem to recall differently.

Mackie was a surprise, when he went to QPR at that time. I seem to remember Punchoun wasnt rated here. Look what he went on to do...fight with bouncers and play in the prem.

Jul 30, 2015
Plymouth
Hourihane definitely had his detractors - *apparently* he only passed backwards or sideways.

Likewise, and to a lesser degree, Luke Summerfield. Hasn't gone to the same heights (was never the same standard as Hourihane) but was often slated and he's not done too badly for himself.

I can recall constant moans around me about Trigger’s lack of pace, yet few seemed to appreciate his speed of thought and play-making ability until after he’d gone. I can also recall one elderly plonker standing beneath the Demport pylon saying of Sir Tommy, ‘he’s alright but all he does is tap in close range goals’!

Aug 2, 2011
Must be a lot of players who fit this category - goes to show that fans are not always the best judges.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
Army green":3fffrnh6 said:
The-Pilgrim":3fffrnh6 said:
Conor Hourihane

He was our best player at the time. Hardly not rated when he was reluctantly sold as the player wanted to leave.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember a lot of people on here not being overly upset when he left.