Youth system - off topic split | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Youth system - off topic split

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
lyndhurst green":hpr7v8g3 said:
MarkMatthews":hpr7v8g3 said:

Firstly, a League One relegation battle is not the arena for young players to be thrown in and given a chance to try and prove themselves.

Secondly, realistically who would rather we had resigned Tyler Harvey yesterday rather than an experienced international centre forward?
Don't start with that rubbish again. It doesn't matter where we are in the table people always say it's not time to throw in young players. If we're near the top, they're not good enough and can't handle the pressure, if we're near the bottom, they're not good enough and can't handle the pressure and if we're midtable people argue that a couple of win or a couple of defeats and we'll be in a promotion push or relegation battle so we can't afford to. It's nonsense. It doesn't matter where you are in the league if a player is good enough.

Feb 28, 2016
Voice_of_Reason":2pa0ln5a said:
Jeez Mark you are getting boring now. Adams was bold enough to promote Fletcher but he doesn't suit our preferred system, so he's done the next best thing to help him gain experience.
Why would any manager (in the fickle world of football management) ignore youngsters if they are good enough? A personal crusade against a guy who clearly knows football better than you and actually see's these lads perform more than you is a one way street to the crazy house.
The only counter argument I can give in your favour, is that maybe due to the short term nature of football management (the average is less than 18 months I believe in the football league over the last decade) that it doesn't give managers the incentive to lay their arms open to academy's, the fact that the longest serving football league manager actually has a great record with young players, probably backs this up. If someone told Derek Adams he would be Argyle manager for 10 years, then maybe (just maybe) he would be keener to keep or blood more kids. But football isn't like that sadly.

Derek Adams must be on one of the securest deals in the football league, coupled with one of the most patient of chairmen.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Mark, you’re getting beyond parody now. Even the signing of a much-needed striker attracts your ire? Church is being brought in because he has very specific attributes.... he is tall and physical, can play as a lone forward, he is experienced in this league, and he can bring others into play as Ryan Taylor does, as we attempt to make absolutely sure we don’t get relegated.

Can you tell us who from the academy can do that job?

I’ve come to the conclusion you have a far, far greater interest in the success of the young lads you personally know who play for Plymouth Argyle, than Plymouth Argyle itself. Your suggestion that the academy is in a state of managed decline AND your advice for talented players to go to Exeter is a disgrace, not the fact that Derek Adams has signed an experienced League 1 centre forward.

It is in absolutely everyone’s interest to have an academy regularly churning out fantastic players, and if you don’t think Derek Adams would love that to happen then you’re kidding yourself. At present, they are simply not good enough or don’t fit into the way we play.

But I’m sure everything will be OK once Stan Ternent takes over.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I get that we need to be doing more to bring young players into the fold but I honestly can't see how signing Church has impact on that whatsoever. We don't have anyone in the youth team that could do his job, we've seen the difference a player of his or Taylor's skill-set can bring to our system, as good as it would be to develop young players, having a square peg because he's one of our own in such an important position is a huge, huge mistake.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Biggs":1kqyuh2d said:
Mark, you’re getting beyond parody now. Even the signing of a much-needed striker attracts your ire? Church is being brought in because he has very specific attributes.... he is tall and physical, can play as a lone forward, he is experienced in this league, and he can bring others into play as Ryan Taylor does, as we attempt to make absolutely sure we don’t get relegated.

I’ve come to the conclusion you have a far, far greater interest in the success of the young lads you personally know who play for Plymouth Argyle, than Plymouth Argyle itself. Your suggestion that the academy is in a state of managed decline AND your advice for talented players to go to Exeter is a disgrace, not the fact that Derek Adams has signed an experienced League 1 centre forward.

It is in absolutely everyone’s interest to have an academy regularly churning out fantastic players, and if you don’t think Derek Adams would love that to happen then you’re kidding yourself. At present, they are simply not good enough or don’t fit into the way we play.

He's starting to strike me as Red + White instead of Green.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Good response Biggs. I am very much pro Academy but they have to be good enough. Management decided that neither of the Harveys was good enough and their progress since their departure seems to suggest that no other EFL manager has a different opinion although several have had a look at Tyler.
I can understand Cory Harvey posting a ‘sour grapes’ opinion on Twitter but I am surprised and disappointed that Mark chose to copy it on Pasoti.
We will see another Academy product on show today. I don’t mind if Christian Walton has a decent game as long as he ends up on the losing side.

Aug 2, 2011
Sad to say there are certain posters who have a particular agenda to dis the manager and or the chairman. If they can achieve that through whatever means they can eg knocking the academy or failure to give youngsters 1 st team time they take evry opportunity to do so. One has to question what lies behind their motives and if they really do support the club.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Biggs":8chut5b0 said:

Well said. If only Mark would celebrate and acknowledge the youngsters who do make it into the first team he would be taken more seriously. Not many managers would play a young striker while in the relegation zone and Adams did that with Fletcher.
Sangster and Cooper have also made their first team debuts this season.

If you're good enough ......

May 8, 2011
Mark may not think there is any point Argyle having a youth system but Parkway and Truro probably do.
Parkway’s continued progression will largely depend on above average but not good enough for League 1 or Championship players being released by the Academy.

Aug 3, 2017
Clearly a lot of factors in the whole thing but one of those will be finances. The youth system, well what there is of one, is not cheap. One could argue the wages of 3 or 4 first year pros are inexpensive, but when they are not playing or around the first team it is lost money.

Until this season, I do not personally believe the youth (outfielders) had a route to the first team. I mean the quality of the second team football is a far far cry from League One. The area only really has Torquay to farm our youth out on loan.

The participation in the Central League is a better and bigger step to show caskng yourself as good enough in League football.

Over the last 5 years only, what examples of Argyle releasing players and them proving the management at Argyle to be wrong? I can think of possibly one player, how many have we released?

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Maybe we should shut the academy, instead of giving opportunities to more young brats like Cory Harvey.

If they all have his attitude it's no wonder they get released.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I guess his attitude has changed

Cory Harvey‏ @coryharvey30

It has been an honour to be able to play for plymouth my home club

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I will repeat my post from a previous thread about our Academy.

I understand that, as they progress through the Argyle Academy, the Club ensures that they regularly attend college to enable them, if they do not make it in the professional game, to have the opportunity to study to pursue another career. This was explained to us by Kevin Hodges at Senior Greens in April 2016.

I hope that Callum Rose has taken this opportunity if he does not make it with another EFL club.