Pubs for Oxford | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Pubs for Oxford

Apr 15, 2016
From the football ground guide:

There are no pubs in close vicinity to the stadium There is a bar in the nearby Holiday Inn Express Hotel, but this no longer allows in away fans. Kim Rockall informs me; 'There is a cinema and bowling alley complex located adjacent to the stadium, called Ozone. Inside the bowling alley there is a bar, which also has Sky television and a fast food outlet'. There is also on the complex a Chinese buffet restaurant called Oxy Oriental, as well as a fish and chip shop called the Ozone Plaice..

Dave Langford a visiting Northampton Town fan tells me; 'I found a small local pub called the George Inn, situated in Littlemore just off the ring road (not far from Sainsburys). It had a number of television screens showing the early kick off and we were served fairly quickly. The Oxford fans at the pub made us very welcome and the landlord suggested that I leave my car in the pub car park for the duration of the match as the stadium was only a ten minute walk away. There were assorted pies and sausage rolls available. All in all a good find.' Also in Littlemore is the British Legion Club (OX4 4LZ) which also welcomes away fans. You are also able to park your car there for the duration of the game. Please note though that for certain high profile games (on Police advice) that both the pub and Club do not admit visiting supporters.

There are also a couple of other traditional pubs located in Sandford-on-Thames, which is in walking distance (20-25 minutes) of the Kassam Stadium, or a five minute drive. These are the Catherine Wheel on Henley Road and the Kings Arms on Church Road. The Catherine Wheel offers local real ales and cider, plus hot food snacks on matchdays. Whilst the Kings Arms is in a splendid location on the banks of the River Thames and is part of the Chef & Brewer chain.

Otherwise alcohol is also served within the ground in the form of: Carlsberg (500ml Can £3.90), Brains SA Smooth (Pint £3.80), Cider (500ml Can £3.80) and Wine (miniature bottles £4).

Google suggests it's a 22 minute walk from 'The Catherine Wheel' to the ground. I think that's going to be the one for 3 of us heading up on the train after breakfast in the town centre :scarf:

Oxford Away is always a nightmare for pubs ever since they moved from the Manor Ground to the Kassam, which literally is in a Science Park. According to the Bristol Rovers fans on twitter the bowling/cinema complex were not admitting away fans on Saturday, and no alcohol being served in the ground. The Catherine Wheel (as mentioned above) seems to be the closest pub welcoming Away Fans - however still a 20-25 min trek to the ground through the science park.

A few of us will be catching the train from London so will perhaps find something in the centre (plenty of cracking pubs in Oxford itself), before catching the 3A bus to the ground. However, would rather be amongst the main Argyle contingent if possible!

:stout:

Nov 18, 2011
I echo HongKongGreen above, do all your drinking in the city centre before heading out on the bus to the ground.
St Aldates Tavern is pretty decent and is situated right near the bus stops on the high street.

Joe Totale":1beixjdo said:
I echo HongKongGreen above, do all your drinking in the city centre before heading out on the bus to the ground.
St Aldates Tavern is pretty decent and is situated right near the bus stops on the high street.

Cheers Joe, we’ll give the St Aldgate’s Tavern a go! Plenty of Argyle shirts and scarfs on show at Paddington station. Bumped into a few Rovers fans on their way to wimbledon and said Oxford were woeful last week and if we play our stuff then should get a positive result. We asked them to send our regards to Lyle Taylor!