PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Just incredible!

At times it was backs to the wall defending, blocks, tackles and headers and other times we attacked with purpose and should have scored more than one goal.

While we were dominant at Shrewsbury in this game the win was all about digging in and grinding out the result.

Goals are now being shared around the team - 7 goals in the last 3 games shared by 7 different scorers.

We rode our luck at times and if Oxford had shown more composure in front of goal we might have lost this game but to get to where we are heading we need the luck on our side.

Earlier in the season the games were tense but now the anxiety creeps in for different and very much better reasons.

Carey and Bradley were phenomenal and led the team. It's such a shame to see Sawyer struggling against another pacy winger and he was subbed for the second game in succession.

Threlkeld was missing through illness so Vyner moved to right back and Songo'o came in to partner Bradley. Curiously it was Vyner who went forward for corners while Songo'o stayed behind on the half way line.

The first half could have finished 2-2 with both sides missing good chances, instead it was Bradley with a towering header who gave us the lead.

Sarcevic missed the first chance of the game from a Carey cross, he had time to collect but shot at the first attempt and the ball went well wide.

Oxford were targeting our left side and managed to create several crosses, from good positions chances were missed. Matthews did make a good save from a deflected shot.

Carey had an excellent chance, however his shot was deflected for a corner.

Oxford had a lot of possession in midfield around the 30 yard area and our midfield three struggled.

On the stroke of half time we won a corner and it was the old Carey/Bradley routine with the centre back thumping in a far post header and then running to the fans to celebrate. Great scenes.
What a time to score!

The second half was much the same except we had better chances.
Oxford put us under a lot of pressure and again their final pass or shot was poor.

After a great move Taylor latched onto a Carey pass and with only the keeper to beat he hit the top of the cross bar.
Soon after Taylor had a shot saved, the rebound fell to Carey and his shot was cleared off the line.

Oxford now stepped up a gear and with Sawyer struggling Adams replaced him with Taylor-Sinclair.

We survived a few scares including the mother of all goal mouth scrambles where we blocked every shot Oxford threw at us.

We dug in and saw out the final few minutes, the players once again celebrated with the fans at the final whistle.

Just how far can we go? We can attack with flair, we can defend with grit - we do look like the full package at the moment and opposition teams can't handle us.

Vyner did a decent job at right back and Songo'o did a good job at centre-back although he does have a mistake in him it didn't happen today.

Bradley picked up a second half knock but thankfully continued.

The fans realise something special is happening and created a great atmosphere.

Credit to the three officials who all had good games.

Who will stop us?

Man of the Match - Carey.

Matthews 7, Vyner 7, Songo'o 7, Bradley 8, Sawyer 5, Fox 7, Sarcevic 6, Ness 7, Lameiras 6, Carey 8, Taylor 7. Subs Grant 6, Taylor-Sinclair 6.

To continue the comparison with Barnsley's incredible run in 2015-2016: at game 34 they were in 7th place and level on points with the team in 6th position. So we are just 1 point worse off but occupy the same position.

Oct 11, 2014
Sounds like a proper "Blood and Snotters" performance, which at games like this is what is required to grind out a result.

Onwards and upwards.

Feb 2, 2007
Thanks postie. As a poster with an interest in both clubs, Iā€™m pleased with todayā€™s result. It balances up the Oxford win at Home Park so there is balance in my force at least! Oxfords strange sacking of Clotet is looking increasingly knee jerk with no replacement lined up or available and they are getting what they deserve effectively. Iā€™m sure they will be fine, they are plenty good enough for a top 10 finish but need a composed manager and probably a new Summer broom.

As for Argyle- what can I say...just incredible. Very much looking forward to Bradford next week and seeing how far this run can carry us.

Safe journey home to the magnificent Green Army, sounded amazing on the radio.

Dec 9, 2017
That is a completely accurate match report. It's great to watch games on iFollow in the States.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
nick_PASTIE":1ahqqgao said:
Thanks postie. As a poster with an interest in both clubs, Iā€™m pleased with todayā€™s result. It balances up the Oxford win at Home Park so there is balance in my force at least! Oxfords strange sacking of Clotet is looking increasingly knee jerk with no replacement lined up or available and they are getting what they deserve effectively. Iā€™m sure they will be fine, they are plenty good enough for a top 10 finish but need a composed manager and probably a new Summer broom.

As for Argyle- what can I say...just incredible. Very much looking forward to Bradford next week and seeing how far this run can carry us.

Safe journey home to the magnificent Green Army, sounded amazing on the radio.
They were incredible as usual. Watched in Tribute Lounge and, without a commentator, all I could hear was the Green Army. Great atmosphere in Tribute Lounge and also sampled a hospitality box.

Oct 20, 2015
Good synopsis, I was disappointed we didn't play in the manner we have against Bradford and Shrewsbury but sometimes other teams will grind us down like today. Most of the first half we couldn't string two passes together but the Bradley goal from Carey corner was a knockout blow for Oxford right on the stroke of half time. How may times does that happen to good teams going through a good streak?!

I thought things improved a bit once DA brought Grant on. Sawyer was beaten a few times by their no 32 who was admittedly very fast; I would like to see him in our squad one day.

There was a period on about 80 mins when Oxford were knocking at the door and there was three shots in quick succession which we repelled. I was glad when Oxford shot over the bar just after 3.min added time was announced, it gave us a chance to waste a good chunk of.time to secure the win.

Agree officials did well, maybe missed a foul or two on Taylor but he was looking for the foul so maybe it was deliberate. Let the game flow well but to be fair I think it was played by both sides in a reasonably sporting manner - no Wycombe-style gamesmanship by Oxford (or us of course).

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
PL2 3DQ":2z0nmz7v said:
Threlkeld was missing through illness so Vyner moved to right back and Songo'o came in to partner Bradley. Curiously it was Vyner who went forward for corners while Songo'o stayed behind on the half way line.

Probably because of the need to learn positions for attacking corners. It would have been easier to say to Songo'o "just hang around half-way".

Feb 2, 2007
A whole league ahead of Exeter, who failed to register a single shot on target- half way to restoring the natural Devon football gap. :)

Oct 31, 2015
Steve Evans":1uvrovnn said:
just seen on twitter the team are off to spain next week for warm weather training.

They deserve it. Last season this gave us the kick on to complete the promotion. Thanks for reports to those who were there

Oct 20, 2015
Oh Yeah, the sunny trip to Spain did the trick last year, I wonder if DA incentivises it, e.g. "X points by Feb 17th and you're off to Spain lads"

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
slingsby_pobble":dert2p41 said:
Oh Yeah, the sunny trip to Spain did the trick last year, I wonder if DA incentivises it, e.g. "X points by Feb 17th and you're off to Spain lads"

Probs got a lot to do with cash flows. e.g. there goes a chunk of the Jervis money.
Least they can do is send him a post card :lol:

Feb 2, 2007
slingsby_pobble":34rpvsxg said:

"Y points and you're off to Greenland"