♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
The next meeting of the SG is this Thursday Feb 22 at 2pm in the GT suite the guest speaker will be that golden oldie Steve Davey the local lad who made good.

Mods would you please keep this post near the top of the leader board for a couple of days.

Thank you.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Just out of interest Mike, does anyone have a record of who was there and how it got started? It would be interesting to compare the numbers who attended in year 1 and the numbers that come to the 25th anniversary. I am still looking for cheap train tickets for this one!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Nice to see our Chairman travel with the Senior Greens yesterday.

What a shame to see him and the SG’s being turned away from the OUFC Supporters Bar though!

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
memory man":13ueko5e said:
Just out of interest Mike, does anyone have a record of who was there and how it got started? It would be interesting to compare the numbers who attended in year 1 and the numbers that come to the 25th anniversary. I am still looking for cheap train tickets for this one!
I can't help with numbers Steve but the SG's had an article in the Trust fanzine in 2014 which I've copied and pasted below:

Senior Greens.
In early 1993 Argyle fans Ray & Barbara Ireland saw how successful the club’s Junior Greens were, that they decided to form a group called the Senior Greens. However, there is no age limit and anyone can join. Ray would stand outside the Home Park gate when training was finished and talk to managers, players and staff, to ask them if they would give a short talk to the Senior Greens about their career in football. If they agreed they would come along on the last Thursday of the month, give their talk, and finish with a question and answer session. At that time Ray did not know what he had started. The first meeting was on February 25th 1993 and that same format still exists today, over 21 years later. They still meet every last Thursday of the month, except June. There is always a guest speaker, usually a player/ex player or part of the management team. A raffle is held (where the members bring the prizes) after the usual drinks and doughnuts. There is an events team who organise trips to the theatre, away games etc. Every year the group sponsor a player and this season it is Oliver Norburn. They also sponsor one of the Argyle Ladies and one of the players from the Disabled Team. They also support other projects which include the Argyle Academy and the Green Taverners. Membership is about 200/240 and about 150 members attend the meetings regularly. Membership costs just £8 a year (which is now frozen until 2016) and there is a food buffet at Christmas and at the end of the season in May.
For more info contact Sylvia Warren on 01752 336386 or Alex Pound on 01752 229787.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Keepitgreen":tdxntf3y said:
memory man":tdxntf3y said:
I can't help with numbers Steve but the SG's had an article in the Trust fanzine in 2014 which I've copied and pasted below:

Senior Greens.
In early 1993 Argyle fans Ray & Barbara Ireland saw how successful the club’s Junior Greens were, that they decided to form a group called the Senior Greens. However, there is no age limit and anyone can join. Ray would stand outside the Home Park gate when training was finished and talk to managers, players and staff, to ask them if they would give a short talk to the Senior Greens about their career in football. If they agreed they would come along on the last Thursday of the month, give their talk, and finish with a question and answer session. At that time Ray did not know what he had started. The first meeting was on February 25th 1993 and that same format still exists today, over 21 years later. They still meet every last Thursday of the month, except June. There is always a guest speaker, usually a player/ex player or part of the management team. A raffle is held (where the members bring the prizes) after the usual drinks and doughnuts. There is an events team who organise trips to the theatre, away games etc. Every year the group sponsor a player and this season it is Oliver Norburn. They also sponsor one of the Argyle Ladies and one of the players from the Disabled Team. They also support other projects which include the Argyle Academy and the Green Taverners. Membership is about 200/240 and about 150 members attend the meetings regularly. Membership costs just £8 a year (which is now frozen until 2016) and there is a food buffet at Christmas and at the end of the season in May.
For more info contact Sylvia Warren on 01752 336386 or Alex Pound on 01752 229787.

Bob thanks for that, I believe Mike Curno is in the process of writing an article on the SG.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
memory man":2rbuuycv said:

Hi Steve when I took over the membership from Peter Hall about 15 years ago there were about 20/40 members, when I finished being membership secretary we had around 180 members, I think now there are just under 300 members Lorriane can confirm our current membership.

The average monthly attendance is aprox 170.

A lot of the credit for the SG becoming so popular is down to Sylvia the secretary and Alex the chairman along with Pasoti allowing the SG to advertise the monthly meetings. Ken and Lorriane are on board now, Ken does a wonderful job organising the various away trips.

Jan 3, 2013
IJN":1do7c7ro said:
Nice to see our Chairman travel with the Senior Greens yesterday.

What a shame to see him and the SG’s being turned away from the OUFC Supporters Bar though!

Well we and loads of The SGs weren't.......mind you it was £5.90 a bottle and £2 a can of Coke so they missed nowt

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
dunlop":20aujp4i said:
memory man":20aujp4i said:

Hi Steve when I took over the membership from Peter Hall about 15 years ago there were about 20/40 members, when I finished being membership secretary we had around 180 members, I think now there are just under 300 members Lorriane can confirm our current membership.

The average monthly attendance is aprox 170.

Nice to see membership numbers discussed so openly. :silent:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I have been fortunate enough to be invited to speak there three or four times now. It is, for the stuff I do, the perfect audience. The older people remember the events I speak about and the younger attendees seem keen to learn. And the committee is so dedicated and keen about what they do. And to top it all I recently got a 70th Birthday card from them. If I don't make it on Thursday very many congratulations and here is to another 25 years!

Ken Beale

♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
Sep 10, 2012
Looking forward to this one, Steve was a great player for the Greens and also a very good speaker.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
One of the best if not the best speakers we have had at the SG, Steve a proper janner down to earth witty and very funny well done Steve.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Great bloke, very funny and as you say a proper Janner to boot.

Ken Beale

♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
Sep 10, 2012
What a terrific afternoons entertainment with great company, well done Steve thanks for the memories.