Heads up ref watch (Carey) (Argyle complain to FA) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Heads up ref watch (Carey) (Argyle complain to FA)

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
The Carey red card incident is being discussed on Sky sorts ref watch in the next hour 11-12, with Dermot Gallagher .

Jan 7, 2013
He said if I was a player receiving a red card for that I'd be very unhappy and he has no idea what the ref saw in it other than Carey ending up on the floor.

Sep 19, 2016
Interesting to see the footage on Argyle Free Chat, it looks like a deliberate off the ball foul to me, so surely a straight sending off. Carey may have overreacted, but it got the foul noticed, I reckon by the fourth official of an assistant rather than the referee.

Sep 19, 2016
Interesting to see footage on *Link removed by admin* - a different angle, and off the ball deliberate foul, not an elbow, but his hands come up, and off the ball surely deserve a red.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
As a long since lapsed referee I would have to say that it looked like the player moved across to body check so a foul but a yellow at worst....

They will appeal and he will get off...in the game he would still have walked having already been booked, but with the appeal and overturn effectively he would escape the ban....unless they uphold....

If it was one of our defenders I would be thinking a three match ban for that is harsh.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I wasn't certain on the day as it happened so quickly. Having seen that on the link I doubt he will get off with it, it can be seen his hands go upwards and may well have made contact with Carey's face.

I am not sure if the fact he had a yellow already will be a factor or not.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Surely putting his hands up was to defend himself as someone was running in to him? That's exactly what i would do if i saw someone running in to me. Very harsh i thought.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
I'm not a referee but my view is that the red was harsh.

However, he changed direction to deliberately block Carey's run (as he did all afternoon) and so probably deserved a second yellow.

I think there is every chance that a straight red will be rescinded so it not being a second yellow is potentially to Peterborough's benefit.

Oh, and yes, I think Carey made a meal of it.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
While body checking him he threw a clench fist into Carey's chest. 3 match ban coming up. I agree Carey made the most of it but who wouldn't these days.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
On the day I called for a RC straight away watching from the grandstand, though I agree it doesn't look as clear cut on replay.

Pretty sure the 4th official advised the ref though as it wasn't called a foul straight away / or advantage / and neither assistant was flagging either (that I spotted, anyway).

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-m ... e=2018-4-7

Looking at the 'Action Highlights' match footage on Greens on Screen , frame by frame (sad I know :facepalm: ), you can see Posh no 2 has his right hand down by his side but his left hand is up, parallel to his elbow.

You can see that he backs into Carey and that he is moving his left arm.

It was a Red!

From Re: Sky Peterborough highlights

HongKongGreen":11qrwbd0 said:
Whilst on first viewing I thought the red on Shephard looked harsh, on second viewing, I don't think it will be rescinded.

I showed the footage to my colleague who is an ex referee and he said the key thing to look at it is the footwork and the position of the elbow. Whilst initially it appears Carey runs into the Peterborough defender, if you watch the defenders feet closely, he actually makes a purposeful step back, into the path of Carey, which more importantly is "unnaturally" away from the ball, which is going down the line to Sawyer. So in the first instance, it is a foul for a block.

Then, the matter of which colour card. Watch the left arm / elbow of Shephard. It's hard to see from the angle of the television cameras, as it is partially concealed by the player, and is done so rather shrewdly as for the referee not to see, but the elbow is indeed raised to coincide with the body check on Carey. In fact it seems as though it is the linesman on the far side of the pitch who has spotted the elbow/block, rather than the referee. So, whilst it may certainly be harsh, by the laws of the game, it is a red card, and I expect the decision to be upheld (as the Wyke red card for Bradford was).

Aug 17, 2005
Could the ref of given a straight red for the continuous blocking of players. He had already given him a yellow for exactly that offence so when he does it again it would be natural to escalate it to a red

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
signalspast":2792pnvl said:
Could the ref of given a straight red for the continuous blocking of players. He had already given him a yellow for exactly that offence so when he does it again it would be natural to escalate it to a red

Continuing the same offence attracts another yellow and obviously a red card for the two but not a straight red. Straight reds are only given for violent conduct, serious foul play, foul and abusive language and denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.