The Anti James Brent Brigade - Why? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Anti James Brent Brigade - Why?

• Thread starter Frazer Lloyd-Davies
  • Start date
F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

One thing I've tried to get my head around during the second half of this season is why there are fans who are opposed to James Brent. Can anyone explain?

As far as I see it;

1. He saved the club from going out of existence.
2. Every season since he has taken over, Argyle have done better than the previous season.
3. He has seen us promoted and almost reach the League One Playoffs.
4. He has paid money for Ryan Edwards and no doubt improved terms for Graham Carey.
5. He is redeveloping Home Park and the surrounding area.
6. He kept his nerve when most Football League chairman would have sacked Adams (having found Adams in the first place).

And for a Brucey Bonus Point, we've had days out at Wembley and Anfield. Am I missing something?

Sure, he's not perfect (show me a football chairman that is!) but I reckon if you showed most clubs the above, they'd bite our hands off for it!

Jul 14, 2008
Weird isn’t it. Some people seem to think he’s too tight when it comes to spending money but that’s madness. The club spends what it can afford.

Jun 2, 2016
Just look at national politics. Alot people are jealous of success and hard work and will do anything to spoil it.
Brent has been brilliant and I'm sure will stand aside if a better owner came along.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Herts_Green":2s20wro6 said:
Weird isn’t it. Some people seem to think he’s too tight when it comes to spending money but that’s madness. The club spends what it can afford.

I cannot believe that there are people out there still moaning that the club are not spending money!
We have a recent perfect example of what happens when you lose control of the finances.
We nearly lost everything!
Brent came in and saved the club and put it under good financial management.
I don't know wether he has ulterior motives but I can only base my opinions on what I have witnessed.
Personally, I don't think we could have wished for a better advocate for, post administration, Plymouth Argyle.
People do love a conspiracy theory though!

Aug 5, 2016
I suppose a few fans do wonder that with an average attendance of 10,500, higher than the League One champions Wigan, we can't even afford a decent back up striker to Ryan Taylor. We can't afford to fend off interest for Diagouraga from Fleetwood Town. That summer after summer, good players leave Argyle citing their derisory contract offers, Bradley and Threlkeld rumoured to be the latest of that conclusion, Peter Hartley, Reuben Reid, Kelvin Mellor, Curtis Nelson etc. having felt 'unwanted' by their wage offers beforehand.

Your point about paying money for Edwards is laughable. It was a negligible sum and a drop in the ocean compared to the money received for Curtis Nelson, Conor Hourihane (plus sell on clause), Ben Purrington, Jake Jervis, playing Liverpool away in front of 50,000 fans and then at home in front of 18,000. Your point about giving Carey a pay rise is daft too. Carey exploded into League Two and showed he was one if not two divisions below his standard, and you really expected him to carry on playing for Argyle on basic League Two wages, or to let our best player go when we could clearly afford more?

I don't dislike Brent to the extent of wanting him out (I believe others out there are), but DA's managerial talent masks the short comings of how the club is run. The budget Adams was given wasn't even good enough to get into the League Two playoffs, and he nearly won the division with 87 points. The budget Adams was given this season was apparently 16th in League One, which was apt for the relegation battle we found ourselves in. Yet Adams only missed the playoffs due to a squad threadbare of quality. From the way the club is run financially, we deserve to be no different to Cambridge United or Mansfield Town, stuck in League Two usually falling short of the playoffs. It is only the wily old fox in charge that separates us from that fate.

You say Brent kept his nerve on sacking Adams, but I'm quite certain that needing to pay him out of his four year contract was the smelling salts that kept Brent from making that decision. I say that as a poster firmly behind Derek Adams at every stage this season.

If Adams gets poached by a bigger club, some fans might see that our club isn't quite as solid and upwardly mobile as the league table suggests. It is only a lack of funding that stopped Brent's microstand and giant ice arena and cineplex being built, despite the majority of fans being completely disappointed and underwhelmed by it. And thank goodness for that, because the interests of Akkeron were clearly driving that agenda roughshod over the well being of the club and the views of the supporters.

Jun 2, 2016
Knibbsworth":35x55d29 said:
I suppose a few fans do wonder that with an average attendance of 10,500, higher than the League One champions Wigan, we can't even afford a decent back up striker to Ryan Taylor. We can't afford to fend off interest for Diagouraga from Fleetwood Town. That summer after summer, good players leave Argyle citing their derisory contract offers.

Your point about paying money for Edwards is laughable. It was a negligible sum and a drop in the ocean compared to the money received for Curtis Nelson, Conor Hourihane (plus sell on clause), playing Liverpool away in front of 50,000 fans and then at home in front of 18,000. Your point about giving Carey a pay rise is daft too. Carey exploded into League Two and showed he was one if not two divisions below his standard, and you really expected him to carry on playing for Argyle on basic League Two wages, or to let our best player go when we could clearly afford more?

I don't dislike Brent to the extent of wanting him out, but DA's managerial talent masks the short comings of how the club is run. The budget Adams was given wasn't even good enough to get into the League Two playoffs, and he nearly won the division with 87 points. The budget Adams was given this season was apparently 16th in League One, which was apt for the relegation battle we found ourselves in. Yet Adams only missed the playoffs due to a squad threadbare of quality. From the way the club is run financially, we deserve to be no different to Cambridge United or Mansfield Town, stuck in League Two usually falling short of the playoffs - it is only the wily old fox in charge that separates us from that fate.

You say Brent kept his nerve on sacking Adams, but I'm quite certain that needing to pay him out of his four year contract was the smelling salts that kept Brent from making that decision. I say that as a poster firmly behind Derek Adams at every stage this season.

If Adams gets poached by a bigger club, some fans might see that our club isn't quite as solid as the league table suggests. It is only a lack of funding that stopped Brent's microstand and giant ice arena and cineplex being built, despite the majority of fans being completely disappointed with it. And thank goodness for that, because the interests of Akkeron were clearly driving that agenda roughshod over the well being of the club and the views of the supporters.

Utter tosh from start to end.

Oct 16, 2016
There are few, if any, argyle supporters that I’ve ever met who don’t have a ‘other team’ (generally Manchester UTD or whoever is doing well at the time). Sky sports (1993) has created a monster, said monster has to have millions blobbed on the next big name (most had never heard of him until they read about him in their daily red top).

It has to be ‘now’ it has to be the largest fee, it has to be the best.

The very fact people suggested Ruben had to be a million pound player, yes somebody actually said that even though Adams tried to blob him off to Oldham pre Christmas, tells you all you need to know

That’s why Brent is obviously ‘no good’

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

I always find 'information' about finance in football interesting. How can anyone other than those involved possibly know the sums involved? What's more why do those 'in the know' seem to 'know' more than those whose actually job it is to be in the know!

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I'm firmly in the pro-Brent camp - after coming so close to losing our club it's a precious thing to know that it's being run by somebody who knows what he's doing.

Having said that, given our support base we really should have the playing budget to compete at the top of League 1 without having to rely on a once-in-a-generation genius like Derek Adams. This team shouldn't have got anywhere near the playoffs - I'd hope that we'll be in a position to properly back Adams this season.

Dec 13, 2004
Ruddlemoor
why Brent has ignored 10 planning obligations under December planning approval? And ignore it when that will stop work dead in its tracks imminently?

(Asking for someone who doesn't have access to the site)
Any genuine response appreciated without name calling.

Aug 5, 2016
the_corkscrew":3j0l5p5x said:
Knibbsworth":3j0l5p5x said:
I suppose a few fans do wonder that with an average attendance of 10,500, higher than the League One champions Wigan, we can't even afford a decent back up striker to Ryan Taylor. We can't afford to fend off interest for Diagouraga from Fleetwood Town. That summer after summer, good players leave Argyle citing their derisory contract offers.

Your point about paying money for Edwards is laughable. It was a negligible sum and a drop in the ocean compared to the money received for Curtis Nelson, Conor Hourihane (plus sell on clause), playing Liverpool away in front of 50,000 fans and then at home in front of 18,000. Your point about giving Carey a pay rise is daft too. Carey exploded into League Two and showed he was one if not two divisions below his standard, and you really expected him to carry on playing for Argyle on basic League Two wages, or to let our best player go when we could clearly afford more?

I don't dislike Brent to the extent of wanting him out, but DA's managerial talent masks the short comings of how the club is run. The budget Adams was given wasn't even good enough to get into the League Two playoffs, and he nearly won the division with 87 points. The budget Adams was given this season was apparently 16th in League One, which was apt for the relegation battle we found ourselves in. Yet Adams only missed the playoffs due to a squad threadbare of quality. From the way the club is run financially, we deserve to be no different to Cambridge United or Mansfield Town, stuck in League Two usually falling short of the playoffs - it is only the wily old fox in charge that separates us from that fate.

If Adams gets poached by a bigger club, some fans might see that our club isn't quite as solid as the league table suggests. It is only a lack of funding that stopped Brent's microstand and giant ice arena and cineplex being built, despite the majority of fans being completely disappointed with it. And thank goodness for that, because the interests of Akkeron were clearly driving that agenda roughshod over the well being of the club and the views of the supporters.

Utter tosh implies I was lying or wrong on every point.

That would mean that:
a) We had a good enough alternative striker to Ryan Taylor this season, and the team's momentum wasn't completely disrupted by his absence. Not sure the form table supports your view, or the fact we ended the season with an out of position winger in the number 9 role.
b) The our contract offer to Diagouraga was as good as Fleetwood Town's offer.
c) That the money we paid for Ryan Edwards is anywhere near what we received for Curtis Nelson (£280,000), Ben Purrington (£400,000), Jake Jervis (£200,000), the Conor Hourihane sell on clause (£300,000). The only money we have paid other than the tribunal fee for Edwards was £15,000 for Nathan Blissett (not utter tosh!).
d) Graham Carey wasn't an exceptional talent at League Two level and didn't deserve a pay rise. I think the contract offers from Sheffield United and Middlesbrough suggest he was in demand.
e) That DA's four year contract had nothing to do with Argyle not sacking him. Brent sacked Carl Fletcher near Christmas when Argyle were struggling, what's the difference except the four year deal and the financial commitment required?
f) That Argyle wouldn't struggle to stay in the division without Derek Adams and his prudent football management. I genuinely pray we don't have to find out in the coming years.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Here we go!

Yet another umpteen pages of unadulterated garbage!

Aug 5, 2016
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":3dllh2kl said:
I always find 'information' about finance in football interesting. How can anyone other than those involved possibly know the sums involved? What's more why do those 'in the know' seem to 'know' more than those whose actually job it is to be in the know!

When Derek Adams gets criticism for how Argyle are doing, he isn't shy about using the media to remind us all just how prudent his financial budget is.

Some fans think big crowds equal big budget and good players, and it just isn't always the case. 50,000 fans at Newcastle week in week out doesn't get them in the Champions League for the same reasons.

During Scunthorpe v Argyle, the commentators referred to Argyle's 16th placed budget and how well our run from the bottom of the league to the playoff pack had been. You will have to take up your gripe with their research/sources with them. I'm merely saying Adams has is over-achieving year after year with Argyle, and some naive fans really do take it for granted.

N

NorfolkGreen

Andy_S":1pf8i5n0 said:
Here we go!

Yet another umpteen pages of unadulterated garbage!

Surely it is only reasonable for each opinion to be heard so that others can feel more able to on make a decision for themselves?

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Knibbsworth":86aqx878 said:
the_corkscrew":86aqx878 said:
Knibbsworth":86aqx878 said:

Utter tosh implies I was lying or wrong on every point.

That would mean that:
a) We had a good enough alternative striker to Ryan Taylor this season, and the team's momentum wasn't completely disrupted by his absence. Not sure the form table supports your view, or the fact we ended the season with an out of position winger in the number 9 role.
b) The our contract offer to Diagouraga was as good as Fleetwood Town's offer.
c) That the money we paid for Ryan Edwards is anywhere near what we received for Curtis Nelson (£280,000), Ben Purrington (£400,000), Jake Jervis (£200,000), the Conor Hourihane sell on clause (£300,000). The only money we have paid other than the tribunal fee for Edwards was £15,000 for Nathan Blissett (not utter tosh!).
d) Graham Carey wasn't an exceptional talent at League Two level and didn't deserve a pay rise. I think the contract offers from Sheffield United and Middlesbrough suggest he was in demand.
e) That DA's four year contract had nothing to do with Argyle not sacking him. Brent sacked Carl Fletcher near Christmas when Argyle were struggling, what's the difference except the four year deal and the financial commitment required?
f) That Argyle wouldn't struggle to stay in the division without Derek Adams and his prudent football management. I genuinely pray we don't have to find out in the coming years.

Sorry, are you auditing PAFC's accounts?
This is pure conjecture!
You have no idea about the finances. How much of their own money have the directors put in?
Simon Hallett stumped up £5 million for the stand redevelopment and then some more apparently!
Your point about Diagouraga to Fleetwood is nonsense. Fleetwood coaxed him away because their chairman is a billionaire and if you throw money at something you will get it! That doesn't make it right (sacking Uwe Rosler to get Joey Barton in shows the bloke has a screw lose!! :lol: )The player also wanted to move north!
I will also remind you that it was JB and the board that employed, and supported DA, think about it!!