The new traditions | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The new traditions

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
So these days the FA Cup Final is a late Saturday afternoon kick off after traditionally always being a 3pm start.

Got me thinking about some of Argyle's and the game's new "traditions".

So when did the last home game lap of appreciation start at Home Park? Certainly wouldn't have been risked in 70s and 80s when hooliganism was at its worse.

When did Argyle introduce their mascot?

Did squad numbers arrive with the introduction of the Premier League?

Sure there are many other new traditions, but anybody provide any information on these?

Sep 6, 2006
When did teams start running out TOGETHER. And all this handshaking before the game. Completely pointless.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The speeded up version of Semper Fidelis at the start of the second half. I don't when that started.

Football traditions in general ....

Both teams coming out before a game and standing in a line to shake hands. I don't know when that started.

Which probably leads to .....
Games rarely kicking off at 3pm, now it's usually between 3 and 5 minutes past 3pm.

The use of yellow balls during the winter months. I don't know when that started.

Oct 31, 2015
I was talking to the wife last night about the FA cup. I know I was a kid but in the 70s and 80s the whole day was a big thing for football fans. Didnt matter if your team were in the final or not (always not in our case :) ).

The build up started early on a Saturday Morning and went right through to the celebrations. Another thing sky and the premiership have killed in my eyes along with the England team.

Answering above I thnk Pilgrim Pete came on the same time the horse shoe was finished. Shaking hands at the beginning waa bought in during the respect drive from the FA (8 years ago?).

Lap of appreciation are probably a milkenium thing like bloody fireworks every time someone wants to celebrate (bah humbug!!!)

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Pilgrim Pete was late 90's after Dan McCauley found him on Drakes Island!

FA Cup day used to be a full day, with "question of sport", and "its a knockout" amongst the TV fun!.. probably stopped when Swap Shop and Tiswas started.

Half time changed in late 80's when ITV wanted more advertising time during the match 88/89 but took a few more years to be world wide 1995

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
another addition..

when did the pre match warm up start.. used to just come on the pitch and play

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
What about wearing socks above the knee.

What about green grass all season and not mud baths for goals . . . hardly see a muddy pitch any more.

Lesmin

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 14, 2011
When did having 2-3 pundits start taking up 1/2 the programme instead of Brian Moore saying a few things about the game and then moving on to the next one

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I don't even listen to them any more, I record everything and whizz through them.

Jul 12, 2016
When did referees change from their black kit,why do so few goalkeepers wear hats in sunny weather, why do the referees assistants only run the line from halfway to Devonport on the Lyndhurst side and vice versa opposite?