New Superstore and Ticket Office (opens Tue 5 Feb) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

New Superstore and Ticket Office (opens Tue 5 Feb)

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Judging from the work now done behind the iconic facade, it is disappointing to realise that the new 'Superstore' and Ticket Office is not going to be a permanent building.
The footings have been put in for a temporary structure with metal beams sat on concrete pads. Perhaps that makes it easier to get it built in time for next season but it will never look as good as a properly constructed permanent building.

tonsk

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 19, 2003
Plymouth
www.dastardlys.co.uk
I think it's more a case of pre-fabricated off site rather than temporary.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
tonsk":3oi7glle said:
Yes Tonsk

My point is that it is not being built on proper foundations in brick and thermal-block as a permanent structure. Any pre-fab building is temporary - even if these days temporary can be 20 years.

I was hoping/expecting that the new building would be built onto the back of the facade, thus strengthening it and retaining it at the same time.

The large (breeze-block?) pillars built onto the back of the facade will stop it falling backwards, and hopefully they are tied to the facade to stop it going forwards, but making it part of a permanent building would have been a better option IMHO.

Jul 14, 2008
I attended an interesting meeting about modular buildings at work a couple of weeks ago. While they are classed as being temporary, they are actually much longer lasting than 20 years. I was told that there is no reason why a modular building built off site shouldn’t last at least 100 years.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
My local council looked into modular bungalows recently. The manufacturer will only guarantee them for 20 years whilst stating they should last at least 50!

Try getting an insurance company to cover them beyond 20 years!

Mar 21, 2013
The student block currently being built on the Crescent is made up of modular rooms built off site, this is a 14 story building & pretty permanent, think some people hear modular & think temporary huts.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
A few people have been to see the Worcester Warriors Grandstand and offices. They were superb, and way way better than anything at Home Park before.

It’s 2018 Kev, not the 1930’s. It’s the way of the world these days.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Here at the RDE we had two modular wards installed a few years ago, and over 10 years ago Theatre 10 was installed, also modular. It's modern building practice: that's how so MaccyDees get installed so quickly. There's nothing wrong with them. Actually less concrete and breeze blocks involved in the construction is also better on an enviromental level.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Is there any word on what’s taking so long with the shop? These relatively small modulars are literally knocked up and craned in, in just a few weeks. Im sure we were told they were under construction back in April?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I've heard they been bought by Forest Green Rovers instead.

Bleddy old Argyle eh?

Aug 5, 2015
They’re looking for a 1940s prefab to meet everyone’s expectations and to fit in with the general ambience of Home Park ie rundown and shabby

May 16, 2016
It'll be more or less what I expected to see (as per the plans and architect drawings). It wont be what some expected (not having looked at plans and drawings), and it would / will never be good enough for others (regardless of what got built) because that's just the way it is.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Argylegames":11bimlph said:
tonsk":11bimlph said:
Yes Tonsk

My point is that it is not being built on proper foundations in brick and thermal-block as a permanent structure. Any pre-fab building is temporary - even if these days temporary can be 20 years.

I was hoping/expecting that the new building would be built onto the back of the facade, thus strengthening it and retaining it at the same time.

The large (breeze-block?) pillars built onto the back of the facade will stop it falling backwards, and hopefully they are tied to the facade to stop it going forwards, but making it part of a permanent building would have been a better option IMHO.

Pre-fabs built after WW11 lasted sometimes 50 years....and those that lived in them were heart-broken at times that they had to move out.