'Devon's biggest club, without doubt...' | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

'Devon's biggest club, without doubt...'

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I was listening to last Saturday’s sports build up on BBC Radio Devon before the Portsmouth game; specifically Argyle-related (goes without saying) but interested in our other football teams. Today, however, the presenter, James Vickery, seemed particularly excited, to near-orgasmic proportions. The reason? It was the start of the rugby season and EXETER CHIEFS were back in action!! Barely able to control his impatience whilst he introduced the various pieces about Argyle, Exeter and Torquay he could finally contain his glee no longer. The time had come for him to introduce the pre-match piece on the Chiefs, whom he described with incredible confidence as ‘Devon’s biggest club, without doubt…’ Hardly believing my ears - and trying to prevent my jaw dropping to the floor - I resisted my initial reaction to laugh out loud and spent a moment considering the claim. Vickery hadn’t differentiated between rugby and football when he said ‘biggest club’ but it seemed clear to me that his intention was to suggest that the Chiefs were ‘bigger’ than Argyle. Individually, on a player for player basis, I am sure this is true but a ‘bigger’ club? Really? I wondered what criteria he was using. Stadium? 12,800 capacity – exactly the same as Home Park, with our reduced capacity this season. Support? Record Chiefs' attendance 12,807 (the extra 7 were probably standing on top of the prawn sandwich and champagne cocktail bar) – just a tad less than the 40,000 plus pre-war crowds at Home Park. If Vickery was intending to say that the Chiefs are the ‘best’ club in Devon he would have more of an argument (their rating and results within the secondary sport of rugby is undeniably impressive) but the ‘biggest’? I don’t think so…

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
James Vickeray is a Grecian as is his two brothers. All good lads.

If I had the opportunity he has, I'd wind up the opposition as well.

How anyone can say a minority sport is better than football is beyond me.

I've often said it and I'll say it again, I'd rather supper Exeter City than Plymouth Albion!!

Apr 9, 2011
Well yes i take your point BUT they have not only fought their way up to the top level of domestic Rugby they have won it ! Sort of horses for courses?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think what they've done is remarkable but it's just rugby.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually form a post about this nonsense. Who cares what a minor radio presenter says, and what is this obsession about Argyle being the 'biggest' club in a county that has no opposition?. I just don't get it. At least the Chiefs have had some considerable success in recent times. Cream rises to the top, and the dregs remain on the bottom.

Apr 12, 2016
The biggest club there is, is always the one you support whether it be Bideford or Barcelona...and that's the last time those two will be mentioned in the same sentence

Aug 2, 2011
Believe it or not some people can multi task and get great pleasure out of both and indeed many other sports. I have attended HP since 1958 and love my football. But I also enjoy test cricket and rugby. Why slag off a sport just because it does not interest you . Whilst I prefer to go to a footie game than a rugby game I still respect both sports and the guys (and girls) who play them.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
lilcol":1k7rjxk5 said:
I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually form a post about this nonsense. Who cares what a minor radio presenter says, and what is this obsession about Argyle being the 'biggest' club in a county that has no opposition?. I just don't get it. At least the Chiefs have had some considerable success in recent times. Cream rises to the top, and the dregs remain on the bottom.

My apologies...

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
I think it's well documented the Exeter (and especially Chiefs) bias on Radio Devon. Just like the guy on spotlight (not sure if he's still there not watched it in ages) who was an ex-chiefs player they make it clear who they're most interested in.

After all it's local radio, they're not national standard but at least we've got something.

The number of times I hear over other team's commentary in the background of our matches and they're mostly summaries not full-length like we get.

So yes, fine they're biassed but I'd rather have bias than nothing.

After all we all know who the biggest team in Devon is anyway...

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
I would settle for playing in the premiership, let alone winning the title and cup.

We could learn an awful lot off the chiefs as what they have achieved is truly remarkable and hence why the community has rallied around the club.

Shame we don't seem to have the same ambition

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
The Chiefs have won the Premiership and been at the top of their game for multiple years now with a rapidly expanding structure.

Are they a bigger club in terms of success and national/international publicity? YES, of course.

Ask 100 people who won the rugby premiership in 2017 and who reached the FA Cup semi finals in 1984, and I think I know which question those 100 people would have more ease answering...

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
jespafc":2zuo3scs said:
Ask 100 people who won the rugby premiership in 2017 and who reached the FA Cup semi finals in 1984, and I think I know which question those 100 people would have more ease answering...
I genuinely don't think the answers would be too far apart. But I don't think either would be high. If you don't like rugby and you're not from Devon there's a good chance you'll have never heard of the Exeter Chiefs. That doesn't apply to people on here with most being from Devon. I guess a lot depends where and who those 100 people you ask are.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Argy1e":2srmn22e said:
jespafc":2srmn22e said:
I genuinely don't think the answers would be too far apart. But I don't think either would be high. If you don't like rugby and you're not from Devon there's a good chance you'll have never heard of the Exeter Chiefs. That doesn't apply to people on here with most being from Devon. I guess a lot depends where and who those 100 people you ask are.

Are you suggesting that Plymouth Eggchasers follow/support an Execececeter team? :shock: :facepalm: :shock: